No announcement yet.

new patrol car, any suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Agency uses late model Chevy Impalas and Ford Crown Victorias for normal street patrols. However, for our HAZOPS teams, we utilize Ford Expeditions and Ford F350 kingcab trucks. Here in Florida though, we don't have much use for 4x4 units.

Be safe,

Hank
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

MAybe the Subarus are great, but I would like to see you buy american.

Comment

Nothing beats an H2

Last edited by BoyInBlue; 07-13-2007, 07:11 PM.
        Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

You might also look at the Honda Element. Tons of room, AWD, completely "washable" interior, very decent mileage, etc. Look something like junior hummers and present a very decent appearance when decked out with light bar & spots. Ride might be a bit stiff for roads with jillions of pot-holes, though.

The Honda Ridgeline and CR-V are also good alternatives and I once saw a very mean-looking Accord decked out with the goodies, painted blue/white...and it was FAST!

Hate to say it, but I don't think an American manufacturer can even still today compete in terms of longevity, quality with the Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, Nissans and if police departments didn't more or less "have" to buy American to be "politically correct", I doubt you'd see nearly as many Caprices or Crown Vics running around.
          Last edited by SecTrainer; 07-13-2007, 09:21 PM.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            Hate to say it, but I don't think an American manufacturer can even still today compete in terms of longevity, quality with the Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, Nissans and if police departments didn't more or less "have" to buy American to be "politically correct", I doubt you'd see nearly as many Caprices or Crown Vics running around.
            Being a former GM employee myself, I would tend to agree that the (quasi-) American makers need to up their quality... But I disagree that departments buy the CVPIs/Chargers/Caprices/Impalas/etc for PC reasons...

For one thing, the foreign companies offer very few, if any, RWD vehicles. The vast majority of PDs do all of their emergency driving training in RWD vehicles, and wouldn't want to pay the $ to get their entire force re-trained on a FWD setup...

Add to that, the fact that the foreign companies simply don't offer a true "full-sized" sedan, and the sedans they do offer simply don't put out the same kind of power/performance as the domestics..

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against (MOST OF) the foreign car makers... But they simply don't offer anything that would be well-suited for police work... For now, at least.. If they start offering true full-sized sedans with powerful engines that are RWD in the future, we may very well start seeing more foreign PD vehicles..
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

the only foreign car that i can see to police work is the toyota avalon. during the 90s in quebec a lot of PD had volvo police car

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                Being a former GM employee myself, I would tend to agree that the (quasi-) American makers need to up their quality... But I disagree that departments buy the CVPIs/Chargers/Caprices/Impalas/etc for PC reasons...

For one thing, the foreign companies offer very few, if any, RWD vehicles. The vast majority of PDs do all of their emergency driving training in RWD vehicles, and wouldn't want to pay the $ to get their entire force re-trained on a FWD setup...

Add to that, the fact that the foreign companies simply don't offer a true "full-sized" sedan, and the sedans they do offer simply don't put out the same kind of power/performance as the domestics..

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against (MOST OF) the foreign car makers... But they simply don't offer anything that would be well-suited for police work... For now, at least.. If they start offering true full-sized sedans with powerful engines that are RWD in the future, we may very well start seeing more foreign PD vehicles..
                I don't think most of these considerations are really that important for the city police department now. State HP and some counties, yes. London, Hong Kong, Stockholm, Berlin and many other large city PDs do just fine without driving around in full-size vehicles.
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                  I don't think most of these considerations are really that important for the city police department now. State HP and some counties, yes. London, Hong Kong, Stockholm, Berlin and many other large city PDs do just fine without driving around in full-size vehicles.
                  That may be true, and I won't argue that some city/municipal departments don't have a huge need for large, high-performance vehicles. (Hence NYPD's love of the Impala, for example) But again, there's the issue that very few departments train their officers on FWD emergency driving. That alone is a huge issue for departments, as they'd rather stick with vehicles they're already familiar with, than spend some huge amount of money to re-train everybody. Especially when you look at some of the large departments with hundreds of officers.

As for the size of the vehicle, that's ALWAYS an issue when you're talking about stuffing prisoners in the back seat. Especially here in "obese" America..

This stuff can be argued all day until we're blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is it all comes down to what a department really needs the vehicle to do. Some departments can certainly get by with a smaller foreign car. Some need large, powerful ones. Luckily, there's a huge variety of vehicles out there on the market to choose from.
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  Originally posted by ValleyOne
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X