new patrol car, any suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new patrol car, any suggestion

Are in-house security department is checking for a new patrol car. Any one have suggestion . The site we working is very hard for car we have a lot of pote-hole with bump and dirt road, in winter the snow is not very well removed so we need something strong but not too big with a place for putting traffic cone, first aid kit and fire extinguisher and a laptop. My first idea is the Jeep Compass or a subaru forrester

Chevy Tahoe, if they are willing to spring for something like that. I consider this to be the ideal patrol vehicle for all year use when snow is an issue.
    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

i concur chevy tahoe is good. or just get ATV's
      Its not how we die that counts.....
      Its not how we lived that counts....
      all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Subarus are awesome in the snow and get much better mileage than some of the other vehicles out there. A decked out Tahoe would be very nice but most security departments I know of do things on the cheap.

Comment

Our owner recently added a Subaru Forester to our fleet, and has been extremely happy with it. He even found some strange mounting bracket for the lightbar that allows it to mount to the ski rack, so no holes were necessary except for the wiring harness. It has plenty of room for equipment, and gets a lot better mileage than a big Tahoe would give. While the tahoe would probably look a bit more 'law-enforcement-ish', if you're strictly looking for something that will get the job done, and done well, I think the Subaru would definitely be worth a look.
          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
          Originally posted by ValleyOne
          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
          Shoulda called in sick.
          Be safe!

Comment

http://policecanada.policecanada.org...teQC001_PB.jpg
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I bet that thing is very fuel efficient I wonder what the owner of that piece of machinery is compensating for?
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

we only need something that do the job and we dont need a law enforcement look a like truck. Forester look like a good choice anyone know about the jeep compass

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                  Subarus are awesome in the snow and get much better mileage than some of the other vehicles out there. A decked out Tahoe would be very nice but most security departments I know of do things on the cheap.
                  My only problem with the Subaru, and any other import economy car, is the wear & tear and maintenance. The initial cost may be cheaper, but they are not meant to run at idle for extended periods of time. They won't be very forgiving to the numerous driving styles they may endure from multiple officers. What might be a simple repair on a typical LE fleet vehicle (Crown Vic, Impala, etc.) could be a costly and very time consuming repair on an economy import.
                  "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

my boss will not buy a non-4x4 right now we have a ford taurus station wagon and it a really piece of sh**** with the type of work we do

Comment

Taurus' are bad for patrol work in ANY conditions. (We have 5, currently decommissioning and getting rid of them) They've been absolute terrors to maintain. Talk about not being able to handle the wear & tear! LOL

On one hand, Davis brings up a good point about the durability of the foreign cars. They're not notorious for being able to handle all the hard duties that the typical patrol cars go through. I CAN say though, their quality has definitely improved over the years. The rest of our fleet is Hyundai Sonatas & Santa Fes... They don't have as many miles on them (yet) as the Taurus' do, but so far they've actually held up BETTER to all the abuse... So much for Ford quality, eh?
                      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                      Originally posted by ValleyOne
                      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                      Shoulda called in sick.
                      Be safe!

Comment

Ford Explorer maybe also a good choice a little bit smaller than the tahoe

Comment

Originally posted by davis002 View Post
                          My only problem with the Subaru, and any other import economy car, is the wear & tear and maintenance. The initial cost may be cheaper, but they are not meant to run at idle for extended periods of time. They won't be very forgiving to the numerous driving styles they may endure from multiple officers. What might be a simple repair on a typical LE fleet vehicle (Crown Vic, Impala, etc.) could be a costly and very time consuming repair on an economy import.

Uh What??? Subaru's have a much higher reliability rate than any of our current american police fleet. Subaru's are one of the most common cars used for patrol duty in Europe. Several American jurisdicitions, especially those high up in the mountains, use Subaru's due to their great incliment weather handling. Both the Outback and Forester are known for their reliability. Granted while they might be expensive to repair they will last far longer than a Crown Vic. I know several people that drive Subaru's and some of them have well over 200,000 miles without needing any more than a tune up. The Imports are far better than any domestic car. Why do you think the big 3 auto makers are struggling so bad. The Subaru is definately worth a look.

Comment

I'm with Mike on this one.

Little story for ya. Where I lived and worked in Alaska, we had a few fleets of taxicabs running around town. One company exclusively had Subarus, one had a mix of Subs and Honda CRVs, and one had a few Honda CRVs and a Toyota Rav-4.

When winter came on, only the Subarus ran. Period. The Hondas and Toys just did not have the stuff to run 24/7 in -60* weather. At the PD, when it got really cold (-30 and colder), we let the Ford Expeditions we ran idle 24/7, forgoeing the block heater as it just wasn't powerful enough. I watched a cabbie unplug his iced over Forester at -50*, start it up, scrape off the windows and roll away for a fare.

Most of the Subarus had come from Anchorage or Fairbanks and had been bought used. Most had over 200k on the clock and ran stronger than our Fords.

And oh yeah, did I mention we had NO paved roads? I would put the Forester and Outback up against any other car there and they'd win, hands down.

1998 Subaru Forester at -58*:

Comment

The Subaru is a good idea. Personnally I would look at the Jeep Liberty, Patriot, or Cherokee. I just don't like the looks of the Compass.
                              Last edited by Andy Taylor; 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM.
                              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X