Unprepared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unprepared?

We had some incidents at my hotels this past weekend, I met with a Sgt. Detective yesterday. She was returning some stolen/recovered property. She had to ask to borrow a pen to fill out the release form. A Sgt. Detectove that doesn't have a pen with her????
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

It can happen... it's not the end of the world, is it?
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Easy enough to explain. Last person she let borrow her pen took it, her pen ran out of ink, ball point 'froze,' etc al.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
        Easy enough to explain. Last person she let borrow her pen took it, her pen ran out of ink, ball point 'froze,' etc al.
        Now, if she forgot the stolen/recovered property she was supposed to return... that would be something to complain about.
        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Dropped it into that special place in the car where "I can see it, but I'd have to remove the seat to get it out".

Comment

No Pen? No Big Deal.

As a young Det.Sgt. I once showed up at a bank robbery without a gun. I had been in the office and ran out the door without my gun that was secured in the gun locker.

Normally that would not be a problem - except when the robber was caught he gave a statement that he was on a rooftop overlooking an alley and saw me and another officer walking in the alley. He stated that if we turned around and spotted him he was going to shoot us. He was armed with a 44 magnum. I received a three day suspension.

Lesson learned.

I used to tell that story to recruits at the Acadamy - they always got a chuckle out of it.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

44 magnum eh...if he hits you..well your done.
              Ain't war hell?

Comment

Originally posted by davis002 View Post
                It can happen... it's not the end of the world, is it?
                Certainly not the end of the world but it does not give me confidence in her. i took Police Technology 30 years ago. I can still hear one of the teachers drilling into us: "A short pencil is better than a long memory"!

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
                  As a young Det.Sgt. I once showed up at a bank robbery without a gun. I had been in the office and ran out the door without my gun that was secured in the gun locker.

Normally that would not be a problem - except when the robber was caught he gave a statement that he was on a rooftop overlooking an alley and saw me and another officer walking in the alley. He stated that if we turned around and spotted him he was going to shoot us. He was armed with a 44 magnum. I received a three day suspension.

Lesson learned.

I used to tell that story to recruits at the Acadamy - they always got a chuckle out of it.
                  Oops...
                  Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by Hotelsecurity
                    A Sgt. Detectove that doesn't have a pen with her????
                    But can she spell detective????

Seriously though, I carry one of those Fisher space pens everywhere with me...3.5 inches closed, it just hides unobtrusively in my pocket. Someone asked me why I had a pen and an LED flashlight in my pockets once. They ride everywhere with me, along with my CCW weapon of choice and a folding pocketknife or multi-tool.

My reply was also in the form of a question:

How many times have you needed your CCW piece versus how many times you've needed a flashlight or pen?

Be prepared, it's the Boy Scout marching song.

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
                      But can she spell detective????
                      Part typo part diabetic retinopathy.

Comment

I can relate. So now, keeping with the seven P's principle (Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance) I TRY make it a point to have at least 2 pens on me at all times, at work one in my shirt and another in my left pants pocket. Adopting a no "pen borrowing" policy is also an option, although somewhat anal retentive. I remember the old show "the Commish" with Tony Scali, who was always borrowing a pen...

Keep in mind also that pens are another way to transfer germs from one person to another too.
                        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                          Part typo part diabetic retinopathy.
                          had to pull a dictonary for that one o.O

defined as : Leaking of retinal blood vessels in advanced or long-term diabetes, affecting the macula or retina. Vision can be seriously distorted or blurred.
                          Its not how we die that counts.....
                          Its not how we lived that counts....
                          all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
                            had to pull a dictonary for that one o.O

defined as : Leaking of retinal blood vessels in advanced or long-term diabetes, affecting the macula or retina. Vision can be seriously distorted or blurred.
                            or......after drinking moonshine.
                            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
                              or......after drinking moonshine.
                              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X