No announcement yet.

Hiring gimmick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That training wage is ludicrous... I mean if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

If absurd pay rates is how major security companies reward employees whose work can/is difficult & at times dangerous, I can see why there's employee retention issues...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working for Securitas should not be dangerous. Their own company policy is that guards are there for deterrent purposes only, and they are not to intervene. (Granted, some GSA Contracts require more, but usually are also staffed by Guard II designations who have limited police powers.)

I think that's part of the low wage thing, they don't expect much from their employees, which means they make higher profit off them.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Here is a question i just thought of. DONT pick this apart it is simple. If a "Guard: is there for deterent purposes only but cant do anything how effective is that guard. If I as a criminal know that securitas cant intervene , there presence wont matter . They are only a witness then and if i have a good plan and disguise they are useless. Also as a criminal they could just kill the guard and not even worry about them. How effective is a UNTRAINED guard who cant speak english and has a pocket full of quaters ? hell the police wont even understand him if he calls and as a officer i think there is less credibilty given if the guard cant speak english or is a total wannabe.
        Robert
        Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
          I apped to Securitas, ad in the paper said $10 hr. When I walked in the door there was a big sign "$7.50 hr training wage. I walked back out.
          Similar with my company. The post may pay $9 an hour once trained but while training for that post you only get minimum wage. I may be making $10 an hour working my post but if they need me to cover a drop at a post down the road which I've never been assigned to I run the risk of being paid the 'training rate' that day. I've seen it happen to other guards.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
            Working for Securitas should not be dangerous. Their own company policy is that guards are there for deterrent purposes only, and they are not to intervene. (Granted, some GSA Contracts require more, but usually are also staffed by Guard II designations who have limited police powers.)
            You would certainly understand the whole situation there in the US better than I, but it occurs to me any position where a would-be offender perceives you (the SO) as an obstacle to their success there's an element of risk

I think that's part of the low wage thing, they don't expect much from their employees, which means they make higher profit off them.
            Are the companies that hire Securitas aware of this hands off approach, or are they only concerned with the overall cost factor?
            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

A lot of clients want (at least until something happens) the guard to do nothing. They are only there to lower the insurance premium.
              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                A lot of clients want (at least until something happens) the guard to do nothing. They are only there to lower the insurance premium.
                The Guard's purpose is to be a visual deterrent so that they can tell the insurance company, "We have a third party guard service, give us our discount." Their risk factor is then modified due to having a guard.

Even better, since its Securitas, and the insurers give Securitas such a high risk modifier (for not rocking the boat), you enjoy a higher discount because they know the guard is there to do nothing.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

A criminal psychotic enough to kill an unarmed guard could just as easily kill an armed guard. I do worry about someone that decides I don't pose a threat and they can go about beating on their girlfriend while I watch.

Comment

The Guard's purpose is to be a visual deterrent so that they can tell the insurance company, "We have a third party guard service, give us our discount." Their risk factor is then modified due to having a guard.

Even better, since its Securitas, and the insurers give Securitas such a high risk modifier (for not rocking the boat), you enjoy a higher discount because they know the guard is there to do nothing.
                    So they're more of a Clayton's SO then? the Guard you have when you really don't want a Guard, then again I guess Security is about 90% 'Officer presence' isn't it?

Despite being a Securitas employee... I would find it hard to stomach if they just watched a guy whoop on his girlfriend and did nothing...

Comment

I was speaking with a bloke on the train coming home from head office this week and he spotted my security licence and asked who I worked for. I told him what I did (never where) and he told me he had been to an interview for a position with a well known Australian company for a supervisor role for which he would earn a huge 48 cents US / hr more on week days plus a tiny 67 cent US / per officer shift allowance. I told him to contact a friend of mine pays above award wages for quality staff and was looking for a supervisor to take over a site.

I have seen many advertisements (free this and free that) but the sad part is far too many people are looking for the glamourous side not realising it is often 12 hour shifts, travel time, early starts and late finishes and not the best sites at some shifts ............ but for some companies to be competitive and make $1.00 an hour profits, they pay bloody nothing. People will go where the hours and work is plus decent shifts (I hated anything under 8 hours and would always push for 12 - 15 hour shifts).
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                        Despite being a Securitas employee... I would find it hard to stomach if they just watched a guy whoop on his girlfriend and did nothing...
                        I would say that beating on a woman is hard for me to deal with, regardless if I'm a Securitas Officer or just a bystander.

Be Safe,

Hank
                        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

It used to be common to have Security Guard `models` at many banks after an attempted armed robbery or robbery to `window dress` the banks security and attitude. These were unarmed bodies designed to offer the illusion of security protection but at the same time were the laughing stock of the industry. My best example was going into deposit a client's cheque when I spotted our resident female security officer covered in more gold than Mr T and wearing 3 inch high heel shoes. I was so glad she was present as those shoes could have given a robber a nasty bruise if she used them to protect me.
                          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                            Wackenhut used to play that game with us. My base rate was 12.00/hr with my extended rate being 12.50/hr for being a supervisor. All my training was rated at 7.52/hr.
                            I bet wackenut has all kinds of tricks you can tell us (or maybe not). Our local branch all hide behind 2 admin ladies that constantly churn people through training. Whether you have a d class license or not, you have to take the 40 hour class with them and get minimum wage if you already have the d class license. But they make you sign off on expenses like uniforms, shoes, licenses, name tags, drug tests, physicals, ... so that minimum wage for a week is never seen.

So evidently, the whole office justifies most of their existance on training, and they schedule partial weeks to SO's to spread out assignments and keep churning SO's through new training assignments at minimum wage; and/or wackenut may have a US government training/tax dodge angle as well. Some people recently from wackenut said they have been taken over by a new company (?) and something like 2 days late starts your vacation seniority over again. Not real sure since job hoppers tend to mix facts and their stories together, so sifting the truth is sometimes hard. Wackenut constantly has an ad in the paper, and if they also have an embelished ad in addition, it will say 'top pay' which is untrue (unless you are comparing to the average SO company pay over ten years ago).

An interesting company, but I was personally discouraged by the 2 admin representatives making random bogus promises they can never remember the next office visit (and then scolding me that they never said that and they remember everything...); so after completing all the applications and tests, never took the physical (?) or piss test ($$$). And then from other reliable SO's that Wackenut took over their posts from another company said they have (several) people asking neighbors about you after hired. So wackenut has figured how to employee 20 or 30 man shifts of personnel per each hire off the street. And then they don't really seem to care that much about keeping the SO constantly employed: but more interested in ways to keep rechurning the same applicant to at least partially restart the employee screening process over.

Wackenut is the only ones I've noticed with the 'hiring/training/screening/rehiring/retraining/rescreening/...' angle to staff their ranks. The hiring employees all say it is the most thorough application process in the industry: but an efficiency experts point of view would indicate it is the most wasteful and fatest application process that idley employees redundant staff acting out scripts. Of course this could be the product of our local branch's brain child, but I seem to get the same indications from the national corporation's news in the media.
                            Last edited by ddog; 11-22-2007, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I can see that most of you don't think much of the SECURITAS approach to hiring, in the ad, was not so good. Man, $5.00 towards a lunch, well it had me thinking MAYBE, for about 1.32 nano-seconds.

But, for all of us new, and maybe not so new, people in the security field, some of you OLD SALTS could possibly help us out in figuring out which are some GOOD security companies around the USA to work at.

I am not talking about job postings, I know there is already a thread for that.

I am talking about good companies to work for. Their name, location, and, if possible, a reason that you think their Good.

As for myself, I'd be interested to hear about companies in the San Francisco bay area, especially the East bay area.

So, if you have any info, please pass it along.

And if your looking for a good guard company, put your location in and see if anyone has some info for you.

Comment

This Monkey is a Securitas Employee who worked Thanksgiving day
                                so my fellow Securitas Ape Security Officers could have the day
                                off to spend with their families.

Now if you don't mind, please close my cage door so I can enjoy my dinner
                                of bananas and chopped nuts and other assorted fruits.
                                http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X