• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by FederalSecurity
    Yes, they did actually keep me because of the fact that I was good at

my duties as a security officer. I don't believe that all of the "added value"

services were in any sort of contract between the hotel and my Warm Body

Company, but we were still expected to perform these services just to keep

the hotel management happy.
    The next logical question is: after you stopped doing these added duties, who did them?

Leave a comment:

• Knight Watch
    replied
    Seen this before

There is a factory around my area that has in house "security" that R &R trash bags, mop and wax floors, clean up break area, and other housekeping durties. But (at the time, early 90"s) they payed so good ($11.00 + bennis) that there was never an opening very long usualy by the time they advertised it was filled.

O yea they did do detex rounds.
    Last edited by Knight Watch; 08-22-2006, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FederalSecurity
    replied
    They kept me...

Yes, they did actually keep me because of the fact that I was good at

my duties as a security officer. I don't believe that all of the "added value"

services were in any sort of contract between the hotel and my Warm Body

Company, but we were still expected to perform these services just to keep

the hotel management happy.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Again, as I've said. While you're playing bellman, who's guarding the place? When the guard strays from the contractual mission by accepting these assignments, the client is provided with ample room to file a "negligent behavior" or whatever you'd like to call it claim against the guard and guard company because the contracted employee was negligent.

How was he negligent? He was performing non-scope duties instead of his primary duty, and whatever happened was preventable or observable if the guard had been performing his duties.

Again I'm in a different situation. I'm in-house, not contract.

And there is no law saying that an hotel has to have security. As I've posted in other areas of this forum, many hotels are doing away with it & so far no one has been sued as far as I know. The Night Auditor can dial 9-1-1. The Houseman can investigate a situation before calling.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Again, as I've said. While you're playing bellman, who's guarding the place? When the guard strays from the contractual mission by accepting these assignments, the client is provided with ample room to file a "negligent behavior" or whatever you'd like to call it claim against the guard and guard company because the contracted employee was negligent.

How was he negligent? He was performing non-scope duties instead of his primary duty, and whatever happened was preventable or observable if the guard had been performing his duties.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by FederalSecurity
    The worst "value added" duty that I had, however, was plunging
    clogged toilets upon request. After several months of putting up with

clogged toilets, I simply started refusing to perform that "duty".
    Did they keep you?

If you did this in my hotels you would be replaced. If everyone did it the Security would be replaced. They would have a Houseman/Bellman that takes security calls. In my 2 smaller hotels I swore I would never plung a blocked toilet. I would usually give the guests a key to a nearby room & let them use the toilet in that room until their's was fixed the next day. HOWEVER 1 night the hotel was full. A family called with young children & a blocked toilet. There was me & the Night Auditor in the hotel. I unblocked the toilet. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

As for delivering things. While doing so I have been able to see inside rooms & have prevent disturbances before they could happen. Getting my staff up on the floors delivering things helps keep them from sleeping in a sofa in the middle of the lobby. Personally I would not do this work. My downtown hotel has 24 hour a day Maintenance & a Houseman on my shift. But once in a while I will help out.

Leave a comment:

• FederalSecurity
    replied
    In my first security position in Texas, I worked for a contract Warm Body

Company that had assigned me to a post in a hotel. Aside from my standard

security duties, I was expected to deliver towels, folding beds, baby cribs,

blankets and sheets, pillows and pillow covers, luggage carts, coffee,

toothbrushes, and razors, among other things upon request. I was also

expected to assist the other hotel employees in setting up the banquet rooms

as well as assist maintenance employees with minor maintenance on windows

and doors. The worst "value added" duty that I had, however, was plunging

clogged toilets upon request. After several months of putting up with

clogged toilets, I simply started refusing to perform that "duty".

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Make the best of a "bad situation." Look for things out of the ordinary. You may discover fruits of a crime. Having done so, it is reported to local law enforcement. Then the challenge becomes, what more is out there that I don't know about. That is when the fun begins.
    If you become really good at that, don't be surprised if you are selected for a supervisory role or, with a little schooling, made an instructor. And, if you are so inclined, accept an approach from local law enforcement.
    Good security is the pursuit of trifles and subsequent study of the insignificant. Small things, bane of management, cause most security breaches.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• hemi444
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I could adjust to that for 26 grand/year.
    Right now its just temp until they get another housekeeper/utilities person on. Mostly you will see my entries on during the overnight hours because thats all I really do now.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by hemi444
    My current job that I am in has added light laundry duties onto my normal work wich sucks, but I dont mind it so much because it gets dead around here. for 26,000 a year an full complimentary benefits I really can't complain.
    I could adjust to that for 26 grand/year.

Leave a comment:

• hemi444
    replied
    My current job that I am in has added light laundry duties onto my normal work wich sucks, but I dont mind it so much because it gets dead around here. for 26,000 a year an full complimentary benefits I really can't complain.

Leave a comment:

• Serpico
    replied
    I worked 3rd shift security in a retirement community. Aside from the extreme boredom, we were told to put flyers on all 556 doors and to collect the recycling from 5 floors.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    [QUOTE=ACP01]EMTGuard, The next time someone comes up to your post to be bandaged remind them that if for whatever reason the wound/injury/pain is more than it seems at the moment, and is not PROPERLY logged and reported to the boss, that as far as the employer is concerned it didn't happen at work, thus they are not covered by Workman's Comp.
    [QUOTE] I already do that but thanks for the reminder.
    The ONLY time you should have to do cleaning chores is if it is at the post itself. Not that anyone would be a pig and leave their leftovers and trash laying around.
    We sweep and mop the building that houses our main gate guard shack, scale house, bathroom and tiny little kitchen. We take the trash out each night and make sure the day shift doen's have to clean up behind us. Who want's to work in a dump?

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    I've been fortunate enough to never have any of those enhanced duties.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Nice touch!
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X