Security Officer or Janitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Officer or Janitor?

Browsing through the Classified Ads last Sunday I spotted this ad for a local rehabilitation hospital. It's not until you read about halfway through the job description that you realize that they don't want a security guard but more than likely a janitor they can put in a security uniform.
    This position also requires the knowledge of how to use common housekeeping devices and floor maintiance equiptment.
    Are you buffer certified?
    Sad. Apply at your own risk.
    Last edited by EMTGuard; 01-19-2006, 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Hospital Security Officer

Originally posted by EMTGuard
    Browsing through the Classified Ads last Sunday I spotted this ad for a local rahabilitation hospital. It's not until you read about halfway through the job description that you realize that they don't want a security guard but more than likely a janitor they can put in a security uniform.

I've seen ARMED accounts where the company requires the employee to mop floors. Value Added Services. Since your not actually doing anything (prove a negative), we'll have you mop the floors and do other janitorial functions.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      Since your not actually doing anything (prove a negative),
      Which is why I'm so picky about logging EVERYTHING into the log book. I've seen entire pages in logbooks where the only things written were -
      6pm-6am EMT and SO Shift Change
      6am-6pm EMT and SO Shift Change
      6pm-6am EMT and SO Shift Change
      and so on. One of the things I learned pulling guard duty in the Army and then as a Corrections Officer, if you don't log it then you didn't do it. That's why my average 12 hour Security shift will usually result in almost 2 pages of entries in the logbook.
      In addition to the security log book I have to maintain at the main gate guard shack, I have a log book in the facility medical clinic. Anytime an EMT sees a plant employee for any medical complaint or injury it has to be noted along with the treatment/meds given by the on duty EMT. Anything from giving them a shot of Immodium for diarrhea to bandaging a cut is recorded in that log book.
      The problem comes when EMT/SOs on other shifts keep their own supply of meds and bandages with them at the security desk. Instead of having to drive in the medical van into the plant and going to the clinic the EMT/SO can sit at the main gate with their shoes off watching TV or DVDs and the employees drive up on forklifts or plant bicycles and get asprin for headaches or get bandages for cuts from the EMT. The treatment is never recorded in the medical logbook and so the plant nurse has no record of anything on that employee when she shows up for work the next day. And without that activity being logged into the medical clinic logbook there's no justification for our being contracted and paid to do the job.
      Then, of course, I come on shift and I have employees showing up at the guard shack with blood dripping and my questions are "What are you doing here and why didn't you call for me to meet you in the medical van where you were injured so I could treat you there and transport you to the clinic? Come on stupid, let's walk over to the van and I'll wrap that and run you back to the clinic." Or they show up at the fornt gate saying "Hey Q-Beam, you got anything for a bad headache?" "Yeah, sympathy. Get back on your bike and follow me in the van back to the clinic."
      LOG EVERYTHING! JUSTIFY YOUR JOB. SHOW THEM YOU DON"T HAVE TIME TO BE A JANITOR!
      Last edited by EMTGuard; 01-19-2006, 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Browsing through the Classified Ads last Sunday I spotted this ad for a local rahabilitation hospital. It's not until you read about halfway through the job description that you realize that they don't want a security guard but more than likely a janitor they can put in a security uniform.

Good grief!! Wait until the warm body companies get wind of the buffer duties. Now it will be "Diversified Security" or "Value Security." Their slogan: "We protect you from top to bottom" -- bottom meaning waxed floors!
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

To Protect and to Scrub.
          "Stop or I'll hit you with my toilet brush!"
          "That's not pepper spray on my belt, it's Pledge."

Comment

Indeed I have been there. I had a part time job while in school for a private community full of richie richies. They had us delivering newspapers, packages and picking up thier bratty kids that broke down somewhere in town.

"Armed paperboys; not rain nor sleet nor dark of night will keep us from getting appointed crazy rounds"
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
              Indeed I have been there. I had a part time job while in school for a private community full of richie richies. They had us delivering newspapers, packages and picking up thier bratty kids that broke down somewhere in town.

"Armed paperboys; not rain nor sleet nor dark of night will keep us from getting appointed crazy rounds"
              Usually, those things aren't in the job description, so they don't use the word security. If they did, you could be all like, "That's not in my job description," and when it comes down to it, the Department of Labor sides with you.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Gotta log it

EMTGuard, The next time someone comes up to your post to be bandaged remind them that if for whatever reason the wound/injury/pain is more than it seems at the moment, and is not PROPERLY logged and reported to the boss, that as far as the employer is concerned it didn't happen at work, thus they are not covered by Workman's Comp.

The ONLY time you should have to do cleaning chores is if it is at the post itself. Not that anyone would be a pig and leave their leftovers and trash laying around.

Comment

I had an interview a few months ago and they told me that I would be doing some janitorial work. I kindly told them to go pound sand.

Comment

To Protect and to Scrub..
                    Now that's a classic! I love it.
                    Last edited by Mr. Security; 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Nice touch!
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

I've been fortunate enough to never have any of those enhanced duties.
                        10-8

Comment

[QUOTE=ACP01]EMTGuard, The next time someone comes up to your post to be bandaged remind them that if for whatever reason the wound/injury/pain is more than it seems at the moment, and is not PROPERLY logged and reported to the boss, that as far as the employer is concerned it didn't happen at work, thus they are not covered by Workman's Comp.
                          [QUOTE] I already do that but thanks for the reminder.
                          The ONLY time you should have to do cleaning chores is if it is at the post itself. Not that anyone would be a pig and leave their leftovers and trash laying around.
                          We sweep and mop the building that houses our main gate guard shack, scale house, bathroom and tiny little kitchen. We take the trash out each night and make sure the day shift doen's have to clean up behind us. Who want's to work in a dump?

Comment

I worked 3rd shift security in a retirement community. Aside from the extreme boredom, we were told to put flyers on all 556 doors and to collect the recycling from 5 floors.

Comment

My current job that I am in has added light laundry duties onto my normal work wich sucks, but I dont mind it so much because it gets dead around here. for 26,000 a year an full complimentary benefits I really can't complain.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X