Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Campus Security
    • Jan 2007

state security license requirements?

I currently live in NC and no type of security license is required at the university where I work. There is a good possibility my wife & I may be moving by the end of 2007.
    In checking for 'security' employment in other states I find that most of the better jobs require an applicant to already have their local state unarmed or armed license issued by the proper authorities.
    Are there any states where I can get the necessary license even if I have not moved there yet and not already working for a licensed agency?
    My prefered states to relocate to would be SC, VA, WV, TN,GA,FL and AL but I would consider others.
  • Andy Taylor
    • Oct 2006

Don't know about the states that you listed, but I know that others here are quite familiar with those states. Here in California you do not need to be a resident, although you need to be here physically to attend the required classes. You don't need a job or job offer before taking classes. I personally, and a lot of other companies, won't even look at a candidate who doesn't have the required permits. Guard Card requires
    Prior to Being Assigned on Post 8 Hours
    Training Required within the First 30 Days 16 Hours
    Training Required within the First Six Months 16 Hours
    TOTAL HOURS 40 HOURS

To apply for a firearms permit you must:

Take a 14-hour course (8 hours classroom, 6 hours range) in the carrying and use of firearms given by a firearms training instructor certified by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

• Lawson
      • Jan 2006

If you were to come to WA, you could be hired by any Security Company, sit through an 8 hour class, take a correctable test (so if you fail you still pass) and you are a licensed security officer.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

• HospitalPatrol
        • Jun 2007

Most private contract security companies here in SC have SLED certified trainers working for them who will get applicants licensed armed or unarmed. You just do the application process and if they want you you sit through the eight hours and they process your application for a SLED card for you. You can go to work right away while it's being processed. If you are going to come to SC I think it's too much hassle to try to get a SLED card beforehand because I don't think they'll want to license someone who doesn't even live here. Just come down and put in your application and you'll be fine.

There are some good opportunities here and I believe NC and SC are very similar in a lot of respects as far as security goes. Most agencies here are more concerned with your employment history and quality as an applicant than anything else. They'll get your paperwork strait for you.

Comment

• Charger
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
          If you were to come to WA, you could be hired by any Security Company, sit through an 8 hour class, take a correctable test (so if you fail you still pass) and you are a licensed security officer.
          The sad thing is, OR's test isn't much better. (Albeit a bit longer) The biggest difference is in OR you can take the classes/tests as an unemployed person. You don't have to be a current employee/potential hire of a registered company like here in WA. (Mainly because OR also regulates the in-house S/Os, whereas WA doesn't)
          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
          Originally posted by ValleyOne
          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
          Shoulda called in sick.
          Be safe!

Comment

• Campus Security
            • Jan 2007

Thanks for all the replys but

the problem is I just don't want just any security guard job. I want a good job! Taking SC as an example, the better jobs require an applicant to already have a SLED card. I assume there is no way for a private citizen living in a bordering state to get the card on their own without already working for a state licensed security agency.
            I lived in the pacific northwest (OR/WA) for almost 20 years and Oregon's system is better than Washington's. In WA it was impossible to get any type of licensing unless a person was working for a company. But on the other hand, in house security did not need to be licensed.
            I worked in house there, but could never get a real good job because I could not get licensed.
            I am not 100% positive but believe the situation is similar here in NC. I can't get a state license unless I get a job working for a licensed company. Currently I work as a non sworn campus security officer for a campus police department at a private university. I am currently seeking all the extra training I can get, even if I have to pay for it myself.
            The university recently sent me to get trained as a "Field Training Officer". The class was 40 hours long and was actually intended for LEOs.
            On another occasion I was one of 21 people who attended the first justice academy sponsored class for non sworn campus security officers.

Comment

• Lawson
              • Jan 2006

Um, how is it you "could not get licensed" in WA? There are a billion-kajillion security companies here that could license you. It would be as simple as taking an on-call job with any security company, then transferring your license as needed.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

• HospitalPatrol
                • Jun 2007

I had the same thought as Lawson. Its going to be a process, but I can't think of any other way to get a SLED card in SC except through your employer. Most companies prefer to train you themselves anyway. You could get a p/t job with some contractor then look around when you get established.

Also even though a lot of job postings require you to have a SLED card maybe you could just put in for it and if they really like you then they can arrange for something. Just a thought.

Comment

• Christopherstjo
                  • Apr 2007

In Missouri - unless you live in either St. Louis or KCMO, then its' up to the individual cities - some require licenses others do not - smaller towns in Missouri tend not to require licenses from what I understand but then why should they when they do not offer positive outlooks in job opportunities.

In KCMO, you have to have a letter of hire from the employer who wants you to be employed. I think its' the same for St. Louis

Comment

• medic15al
                    • Jan 2006

Here in Alabama no licensing is availible. Just get a pistol permit and show up for work, as most will rely on the pistol permit background check instead of doing it yourself. Unless you work for Wackenhut or Jefferson County Security your pay will be $6.00-$8.00 average and no benefits except for med insurance you will have to pay in full yourself. Real crappy companies here and some posts are reprehensible to the dignity of a Security Officer. Unarmed positions are likely to be filled with convicted felons as there is NO regulatory legislation here.

Comment

• Hospital Security Dude
                      • Dec 2006

check here for Florida requirements.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...