Might be getting out of security o.O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be getting out of security o.O

so i applied for as city police dispatcher position, got a letter in the mail to go down and go through an orientation session, and testing on july 11. So the like after this testing period they will contact us sometime later in july for interviews, so wish me luck !!!!!
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
    so i applied for as city police dispatcher position, got a letter in the mail to go down and go through an orientation session, and testing on july 11. So the like after this testing period they will contact us sometime later in july for interviews, so wish me luck !!!!!
    Good luck UPF. Hope you don't desert us when you get that job.

Comment

All the success in the world. Don't be taken aback when they put you on the dummy switchboard and flood it with calls just to see how you react to pressure. You are the eyes and ears of the police or fire persons on the ground. Don't freak out when you are watching the video, now DVD, on emergency childbirth. It is a marvel to watch.
      Enjoy th day,
      Bill

Comment

I hope you do better than I did. My hearing was damaged from years of flying piston-powered airplanes which forced me to resign. (They don't like hearing aids )
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Good luck. Hope you do better than I did. I lasted about 10 shifts with Baton Rouge 911. No dummy boards or training sections there. From Day 1 you are paired with a training dispatcher at a actual 911 desk listening to calls over a set of head phones and being taught On the Job style.
          Best advice I could give is to not burn your bridges when you leave your security gig. When I washed out of the 911 dispatch job I was able to go right back to my old SO/EMT job as if I had never left.
          Steve
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Good luck... Hope everything works out for you.

SHART1971

Comment

Good Luck. That is one difficult job. My step mother did it for about 20 years.
              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Good luck. I hope yor're still working on starting your own company. It's tough. I did it once and was very successful. It was kind of - "build it and they will come" things.
                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by mh892 View Post
                  Good luck UPF. Hope you don't desert us when you get that job.
                  Naw i wont.. dont worry, there. btw now you all got me nervous lol. i know the test is being take at a percient, o.O, so maybe there is a dummy switch or something too lol. so anyways after this testing process, on the 11th, they will call top canidates for interviews, So not only do i have to test, and test well, but have to interview to, if i test as a top canidate ;P, but anyways people have told me hey ya never know, sometimes it doesnt hurt to shot for the stars even if you dont make it atleast you can say you tried instead of always wondering what if i had tried but never did.
                  all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
                    Good luck. I hope yor're still working on starting your own company. It's tough. I did it once and was very successful. It was kind of - "build it and they will come" things.
                    yes and no. if i find a quailfied agent, possible, but since i am not an offical supervisor with the company i work with my supervisory hours will not be signed off on, but yet i get super pay, and am in charge of my site as i am the only officer on duty :P i get to play super :P but no gold badge for me lol.. so no new QA hours.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
                      Good luck to you! Anytime you go in for any testing or interviews, remember to dress and stay professional. Try to look better than all the candidates--it'll make a good impression, and address the department personnel with "sir" and "ma'am."

Be prepared to prove that you have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing. Dispatching is a stressful position in which you are often trying to communicate and learn essential information from distraught and emotional people. You may be tested in your interviews through questioning that is meant to "put you on the spot" or make you feel uncomfortable, especially if the interviewers don't seem very nice. Keep in mind that it is all part of the interviewing process. Just stay calm, don't argue with the interviewers, and think of a good answer.

Again, good luck!

Comment

As a former dispatcher, let this phrase guide your thinking LIFE BEFORE PROPERTY

If you are questioned and they say

You have 2 officers on duty

all of a sudden you get three calls a

Burglary
                        A fire alarm
                        and a medical emergency

who do you send to what

Good Luck, keep calm, and LISTEN

Comment

Originally posted by ctbgpo View Post
                          As a former dispatcher, let this phrase guide your thinking LIFE BEFORE PROPERTY

Burglary
                          A fire alarm
                          and a medical emergency

who do you send to what

I would be interested in what the real answer is! My first impression would be to send both Officers to the burglary for thier own protection, ( and posibly home owner if residential) and as the Fire Dept. will be going to the fire alarm and an Ambulance to the medical.
                          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by ctbgpo View Post

Burglary (One officer, if just an alarm, he can call for back up if needed)
                            A fire alarm (fire dept)
                            and a medical emergency(fire and med unit)

who do you send to what

this is POLICE dispatch only though.. so ... that would be tought, but in SLC tthere will never be just two officers on

Comment

The question is actually subjective there is no real right answer. I said the Medical
                              the Fire and then the Burglary.
                              I got the job so I guess I answered correctly, I have heard different variations of the question, but the last time I was asked it was two police officers, no fd or ems. how would you send them.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X