Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use of guns by police in Canada & the US

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Use of guns by police in Canada & the US

    I just read the following statistics & wonder if anymore has similar stats from major US cities so I can compare them.

    Number of times Montreal police have fired their guns in the past 5 years

    2006 –3

    2005 –10

    2004 –5

    2003 –8

    2002-11
    Last edited by HotelSecurity; 06-29-2007, 07:15 PM.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

  • #2
    After a quick search, I was unable to find any statistics. I am sure that the USDOJ must have some sort of report on this. I do suspect that the US numbers will be shockingly higher in some of the major metropolitan areas.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

    Comment


    • #3
      Is that total rounds fired, or the number of incidents in which the police discharged a firearm?
      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
        Is that total rounds fired, or the number of incidents in which the police discharged a firearm?
        It's the number of incidents. The other numbers were there too. I'm going away for the weekend but will post them when I come back on Monday. (I'm going to Burlington Vermont - do I need a gun? )
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

        Comment


        • #5
          Have a great weekend. Burlington is beautiful. At least is was last time I was there, 21 years ago, when I lived in Montreal.
          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
            It's the number of incidents. The other numbers were there too. I'm going away for the weekend but will post them when I come back on Monday. (I'm going to Burlington Vermont - do I need a gun? )
            You never need a gun.

            (Until you need one very badly)

            Comment


            • #7
              Found an internet connection. Left the stats at home but FYI the US boarder security is doing a good job. Took 2 hours to get across!
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

              Comment


              • #8
                Next time, tell them you have tuberculosis...You'll speed right through

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                  Found an internet connection. Left the stats at home but FYI the US boarder security is doing a good job. Took 2 hours to get across!

                  Out of the couple of hundred times I crossed that boarder (all pre 9/11) I had two times that it took more than a minute or two. Once going into Canada and once going into the US.
                  "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                    Out of the couple of hundred times I crossed that boarder (all pre 9/11) I had two times that it took more than a minute or two. Once going into Canada and once going into the US.
                    I was actually turned away once from entering Canada. They wanted to know why my company didn't hire a Canadian to do my job.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

                    Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
                      I was actually turned away once from entering Canada. They wanted to know why my company didn't hire a Canadian to do my job.

                      What was your response?

                      When I was living in Montreal on a student visa, and had gone to Burlington for the weekend, the Canadians asked why I didn't attend school in the US. I told them because my Grandmother was Canadian and she and I were living with her sister (also Canadian) and I was helping care for my Grandmother as she had Alzhiemer's. They made me wait for about an hour while the checked my visa.
                      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From what I remember, the Canadian Government really, really, hates it when a company hires a non-national to do anything. I don't think they can penalize or fine, but they can deny access like Curtis had, because its very bad mojo to bring a foreign national (A US Citizen) in to do "a Canadians job."
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

                        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                          What was your response?

                          When I was living in Montreal on a student visa, and had gone to Burlington for the weekend, the Canadians asked why I didn't attend school in the US. I told them because my Grandmother was Canadian and she and I were living with her sister (also Canadian) and I was helping care for my Grandmother as she had Alzhiemer's. They made me wait for about an hour while the checked my visa.
                          At the time I had responsibility for about 600 stores. I found something else to do and made the visit the next week - it was not urgent.

                          I had been asked that question a number of times before when traveling to Canada, but had never been denied entry before. I used to travel around Western Europe and had never been asked that question. Then the European Union emerged and all of the borders disappeared. That was strange.
                          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

                          Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A lon long time ago (about 20 years) long before 9/11, I was almost refused entry into the US. I was being sent down to New Jersey to give a deposition. We were being sued by someone who slipped & fell in his bathtub. I had a brand new, still in the package rubber bathmat with me. I don't know if it was because they thought I was illegally importing bathmats, but they didn't want to let me in. (Actually it was at the Montreal Airport, US Customs & Immigration have Officers that work in Montreal & check you beofre you get on the plane).
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                              I just read the following statistics & wonder if anymore has similar stats from major US cities so I can compare them.

                              Number of times Montreal police have fired their guns in the past 5 years

                              2006 –3

                              2005 –10

                              2004 –5

                              2003 –8

                              2002-11
                              I don't have any for my city close at hand, but here is some related national info.

                              Policng and homicide 1976 to 1998
                              ~Black Caesar~
                              Corbier's Commandos

                              " "The trouble with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." ~Margaret Thatcher

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X