Security in deep doggie doo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    I take it that the Old Port is city? The "Prevention/Protection" thing sounds like what the police wear.
    The Vieux Port (Old Port) is a federal government Crown Corporation. It's an entertainment area, bicycling, roller blading, gift shops, Imax theater, science centre etc.

Prevention/Protection is used because 1) it's bilingual, 2) the security force is trying to put it'self above the security guard image. (Then they make a decision like this!!!)
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Do the STM security people still have their vests and nightsticks? If not I wouldn't blame them for not getting involved....

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo View Post
        Do the STM security people still have their vests and nightsticks? If not I wouldn't blame them for not getting involved....
        THEY ARE NOT SEEN OFTEN ANY MORE BUT THE LAST TIME i SAW ONE (LAST WEEK), THEY DID. THEY STILL HAVE THE RED FLASHERS ON THEIR TRUCKS. (NOT RED & BLUE LIKE THE POLICE)

Comment

Hotel Security – An Oxymoron

The main problem with hotel security is that it is a dog and pony show. Most security falls under the authority of the FOM (Front Office Manager), who is focused on guest services and most, have no idea what security is or should be.

Most hotel security personnel are unarmed and under O&R (observe and report) rules. Their job is mainly a catch all to perform non-related security work.

At the hotel (Top chain) I work at, security performs night maid services, code 5’s (Stopped up toilets), closing and cleaning the pool area and collecting night trays and room service menus.

The hotel has over 444 rooms, yet only one security person is on nightly and no security is provided during the day. We have CCTV cameras, but they are unmanned, and are set away from main concern areas such as the pool area (Liability issues), yet most courts have upheld that if a hotel has CCTV cameras, then they should also be monitored.

Until security is placed under its own entity within the hotel industry, then this farce will continue and the guest will continue to be under a false sense of security.

Comment

When I was assigned to a Hilton, they had a full CCTV matrix.

The general manager disabled the VCR for liability purposes (he didn't want anything used against his hilton), and even better... The security staff was specifically ordered never to be allowed near it.

Security's job was to walk around and take towels, which thankfully wasn't in our post orders.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by SP1 View Post
              The main problem with hotel security is that it is a dog and pony show. Most security falls under the authority of the FOM (Front Office Manager), who is focused on guest services and most, have no idea what security is or should be.

Most hotel security personnel are unarmed and under O&R (observe and report) rules. Their job is mainly a catch all to perform non-related security work.

At the hotel (Top chain) I work at, security performs night maid services, code 5’s (Stopped up toilets), closing and cleaning the pool area and collecting night trays and room service menus.

The hotel has over 444 rooms, yet only one security person is on nightly and no security is provided during the day. We have CCTV cameras, but they are unmanned, and are set away from main concern areas such as the pool area (Liability issues), yet most courts have upheld that if a hotel has CCTV cameras, then they should also be monitored.

Until security is placed under its own entity within the hotel industry, then this farce will continue and the guest will continue to be under a false sense of security.
              Welcome SP1.

My downtown 488 room hotel is different. We hav24 hour a day security. We report to the Director of Security who works in the head office of the management company. He is also the chauffer for the owner & is in daily contact with him. He is on an equal level as the General Manager. We take no orders from the Front Desk Manager or Director of Maintenance, Rooms Division etc. Even the General Manager talks to our Director before.

The old CP Rail hotels in Canada used to be run in a similar way. Security reported to the Chief of the Railways Police. I worked at an hotel once where the General Manager was crooked. There was nothing I could do. I can at my present hotel.

We do not do Maintenance calls. (Blocked sinks, tvs not working etc). We do Houseman (delivering towels, cots etc) 2 nights a week only.

At our smaller hotels (287 & 222 rooms) out by the airport where there is no action after midnight, we do like you. There is a Night Auditor & A Security. We do the Housekeeping & Maintenance calls. Also we have only overnight Security there.

We are not O&R only. Downtown we average 40 noise complaints a month, mostly on Fridays & Saturdays. Of the 40 we call the police less than 1 time. We are part of the 2 man Fire Brigade etc

Our cameras, like yours are unmonitored. To me the are practically useless. (Gives you a nice view of what happened but dodesn't prevent it & rarely helps in catching someone after it has happened.)
              Last edited by HotelSecurity; 07-18-2007, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Here is a letter to the editor from Wednesday July 18, 2007's Montreal Gazette. It is reaction to the Old Port of Montreal security story

Misleading vest

Letter

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Re: "Guards abandon chase" (Gazette, July 17).

If patrollers at the Old Port have "protection" written in large letters on their vests but do not intervene in cases of violence and stay at a safe distance at all times, then their vests are most misleading.

If I were in trouble and ran to them for help, I would expect action on their part. Anyone can watch from a distance and do nothing. The Old Port should hire police who can be proactive and act to protect. We should not pay people to watch and allow suspects to run away.

Solange Brunet

Candiac

© Author 2007

Comment

The Montreal Gazette published my letter to the editor today:

Public endangered
                  Re: “Guards abandon chase” (Gazette, July 17).

It seems yet another security force that protects the public is limited to observing and reporting only.

The Old Port’s spokesperson explained the new orders given the force by saying: “In light of recent events, we fear for the security of the public, employees on the site and the security agents.”

However if all security services on the island of Montreal took this approach, our already burdened police department would take even longer to respond to calls for help, putting more of the public in danger. Neil Fyckes

Verdun

Comment

Another one on the same subject printed today:

Irresponsible policy
                    Re: “Guards abandon chase” (Gazette, July 17).

Is Lily Robert of the Old Port telling me that my 8-year-old daughter could get raped or my 6-year-old son roughed up by thugs with knives while these “prevention-protection” guys watch and call the police? The message is clear: It’s safe to hit and run.

Who is the inventor of this irresponsible, inadequate policy? Does it come from the police department, the mayor’s office or the provincial government?

Jimmy Tanaka

Verdun

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                      I guess I couldn't work only to observe and report. If I saw someone being assaulted, I would do something to stop the attack. I mean, how can you sit
                      and watch another human being getting killed?
                      I hate O&R. I would be porced to stand by my morals and the company would not back me if i did more than I'm required to do.
                      Todd

Comment

Well it was decided that they didn't do anything wrong! The transit commission released the results of it's investigation into the incident where the woman apparently was beaten while Security Agents stood by & watched. Here is the story from 940News a radio station in Montreal.

http://www.940news.com/local.php?news=14829

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X