X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by Bern Wheaton View Post
    I think if I work there ill work on your shift,loll, then if I get hurt I know you will be there quickly ,instead of wondering

Sorry to hear about you hurts ,it goes with the job sometimes but I bet the guy was grateful you were there!
    Thanks. I got an update on the guy that got hurt. He had been hit by a piece of steel which popped off the cutting line there in the roll shop part of the steel mill. His right shoulder was not seperated like we initially thought. Is right collar bone was broken though. The cut to his neck he got need 15 staples to close. Plus a couple of stitches to close a small head laceration.
    Beat the one I had earlier in the week where a empolyee was injured loading a barge at our dock. Laceration to the left forearm. I wrapped it up and we headed out in the medical van. When I dropped him off at the ER I made him promise to let me know how many stitches he got. I was guessing 5 or 6. He called me the next day. 9 stitches total in his arm.
    Some nights I do nothing more than sit in the shack answering phones and watching movies on my laptop. Other nights it's blood and burns and "here, pee in this cup for me" galore. You never know.
    Last edited by EMTGuard; 07-28-2007, 01:22 PM. Reason: added line about how the pt was injured.

Leave a comment:

• Bern Wheaton
    replied
    I think if I work there ill work on your shift,loll, then if I get hurt I know you will be there quickly ,instead of wondering

Sorry to hear about you hurts ,it goes with the job sometimes but I bet the guy was grateful you were there!

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by Bern Wheaton View Post
    If she is a EMT how does she put the rubber glove over the ring with out poking a hole through it? or does she take her time taking it off while the guy waits with the burn? just wondering.
    Who knows. She works opposite nights than me. The few times she's releived me she's out of breath walking from her parking spot near the guard shack. I wonder what she does when she has a situation like I had this week where an employee was severely injured in a part of teh plant which required climbing 2 flights of stairs and over several catwalks. Of course the REAL bitch was getting the guy down those same stairs while strapped to a backboard. Thank goodness we had plenty of employees available to lend a hand. And my Medical First Responder in that department had things well in hand when I showed up. I ended up pulling a muscle in my chest and shoulder carrying the guy on the board down the stairs. I wonder if she'd even make it up to the patient.

Leave a comment:

• Bern Wheaton
    replied
    If she is a EMT how does she put the rubber glove over the ring with out poking a hole through it? or does she take her time taking it off while the guy waits with the burn? just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    I'm guessing that she just finished cleaning the toilet, Sweeping the floor and taking the trash out. I would bet on a cold Ausse night she would be considered a 3 dog night warmer.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    She is definitely dispatcher material, LOL

Leave a comment:

• ozsecuritychic
    replied
    I have the same problem with my work shirts, especially if I have to reach up high for something.
    Omg I cant believe how that woman has her uniform I have my shirts nicely pressed, my boots polished and dress pants, my ties are always in good nic too. I actually take pride in my uniform, even though Im supplied with mens shirts that are too big in some areas. Im also about 100 kgs lighter than that woman too.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541 View Post
    Are you sure its a ring and not a fishing hook that got stuck?
    You owe me a coke, dude. You can get it to me after I finish wiping the one I was drinking off my monitor.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
    It was a more general comment, perhaps yet another reason to avoid having facial jewellery?
    Not any worse than the big hoop earrings worn by my SO partner the past 2 nights. Just more proof that everywhere you work has different standards.

Leave a comment:

• SgtUSMC8541
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    Plus no badge pinned on her shirt, non regulation color undershirt and, since that photo was taken she got a ring put in her lip like this->

It's very unprofessional but what I've become used to.

Are you sure its a ring and not a fishing hook that got stuck?

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    I doubt she would ever encounter a situation where an offender would inflict damage to her on post, other than blowing the entire plant to hell while she was there.
    It was a more general comment, perhaps yet another reason to avoid having facial jewellery?

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
    Hm.. they always told us not to bandage a burn.
    Good point but we are do aftercare such as dressing injuries like cuts and burns when employees return to work (when we aren't sitting in the Aid Station handing out Imodium or doing pee tests on employees).
    For instance, we currently have an employee who works in the melt shop here at the Steel Mill who suffered 2nd degree burns while at work. He was initially treated by the EMT/SO on duy who then transported him to the local clinic for treatment by our company doctor. Now, when that employee reports to work, the EMT/SO meets him at the beginning of his shift in the Aid Station where we redress his burns on his arm and stomach with Silveadine burn cream and nonstick dressings held in place by cling wrap. This is often repeated at the end of the shift before he returns home. Every time we do this it's logged in the medical treatment book for the company nurse to review and add to the employee's records. This per orders from the company doctor who does regular followups with the employee too. Just keep it covered to keep the dirt and other crap flying around out of his blistered and burned skin. It's pretty good to see they guy you transported for a burn a couple of weeks ago healing up a little more each time you redress him.
    Last edited by EMTGuard; 07-18-2007, 05:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Apart from looking unprofessional facial jewelery has the added bonus of offering an offender an additional way to inflict damage to your person...
    I doubt she would ever encounter a situation where an offender would inflict damage to her on post, other than blowing the entire plant to hell while she was there.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    You can bandage a burn, but you don't use regular bandages. You use sterile burn bandages, which act as a second skin layer and protect the area from infection as well as lower the skin temp. Burn-Jel, etc.

As far as the intervention thing... Not doing an intervention is the norm, even if you are not an EMT. The concept of actually laying hands on someone is a niche in private security, because most companies and clients are not paying for that - that's something the police do because the police aren't going to get them sued when they do it.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Apart from looking unprofessional facial jewellery has the added bonus of offering an offender an additional way to inflict damage to your person...
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X