X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Keep in mind that in most states, plugging your laptop into a line you are not specifically authorized to is multiple felonies, including federal crimes.

Theft of telecommunication service (state felony)
    Theft of telecommunication service (federal crime)
    Computer Crimes Act (various state felonies)
    Nathan, what some folks forget are the statutes, federal and state, that if you have knowledge of a crime and fail to report same in a timely manner you too can be prosecuted. Virginia if you know of criminality and fail to report it, that is the same as assisting in the commission of the crime.
    Most jurisdictions use the "reasonably prudent man theory" quite successfully.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Minneapolis Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    I spoke with someone at Time Warner / RoadRunner of Wisconsin, and it is the policy of Time Warner / RoadRunner that if you allow someone to connect to your cable modem through wi-fi, they are stealing cable services and both of you will be prosecuted.

Then it’s a good thing they aren't prosecutors! If I purchase cable service from Time Warner, I will decide who I allow to connect to it, not them. I would like to see how successful they are at getting a county attorney to pursue charges. Will they also try to prosecute me if I allow my neighbor to come over and watch the Soprano’s on my TV?

Time Warner policy, thankfully, is not law.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
    Same goes with using WiFi you are not authorized to use.
    I spoke with someone at Time Warner / RoadRunner of Wisconsin, and it is the policy of Time Warner / RoadRunner that if you allow someone to connect to your cable modem through wi-fi, they are stealing cable services and both of you will be prosecuted.

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Thats something I wouldn't do just because, while I technical ability to do it, I'm not good enough to make sure I don't screw something up. Oh, and that legal and moral stuff too

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Same goes with using WiFi you are not authorized to use.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Keep in mind that in most states, plugging your laptop into a line you are not specifically authorized to is multiple felonies, including federal crimes.

Theft of telecommunication service (state felony)
    Theft of telecommunication service (federal crime)
    Computer Crimes Act (various state felonies)

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Dang, why didn't I think of dialup. The closet I'm stuffed in just happens to be the comm closet too. Just have to make sure I don't tap some doctors line

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Your ISP must hate you. It sounds like you torrent more than I do!

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    No company provided internet access. Instead we bring our personal laptops, unplug a phoneline from a phone which is for emergency use only and does not go through the company switchboard and use personal dial up accounts.
    My cable internet service gives me 7 hours free dial up a month. I rarely use it. Most of the time I watch videos on my laptop. TV shows which I didn't watch when broadcast I now catch up on when working nights. I download them from torrent sites and burn them to DVD.
    Some I've gone through include-
    2 seasons of Supernatural,
    7 Seasons of Star Trek Voyager,
    2 seasons of Dead Like Me,
    2 seasons of Rome,
    the first season of Dexter,
    all of the new Doctor Who episodes and get new ones every saturday,
    Seaon 1 of Torchwood,
    all of Buffy and Angel,
    Battle Star Galactica, the miniseries and seasons 1 and 2,
    and various Fan films such as
    Star Trek: New Voyages,
    Star Trek: Hidden Frontier all 7 years including the series finale this month,
    Starship Farragut,
    Star Trek Intrepid,
    Starship Exeter
    and I.M.P.S. The Relentless.
    Currently watching the 1st season of Big Love. Currently downloading 3 seasons of The 4400.

Leave a comment:

• Chadly
    replied
    Contract Mall Security Here.

We have "limited" internet access. 1st level is via the Mall Corporate IT, they have a block on several sites and stuff, like hotmail and yahoo. We also can't install any program on the computer without Corp. IT approval.

Then, our departmental administration has limits to the sites we can use in our daily functions. Primarily Weather related, and the dispatching site and Incident reporting site. We used to be able to kinda freely surf, but a dispatcher earned herself multiple felony counts for ID theft, becuase she went internet shopping on her shift supervisor's credit card, without her knowledge, while working in dispatch.
    Last edited by Chadly; 06-19-2007, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    The whole ball of wax here. It certainly helps the night go by quicker and I believe it keeps the mind sharper and more active.

We have a smartfilter programmed into it that restricts certain sites.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Internet access. Use it a lot for things like canada411.com to confirm addresses.

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Internet access? We don't even have access to a computer. I did bring my laptop in on a saturday (saturdays are real slow, building stays locked up, just the parking area is open) but the wifi signals were real weak and pw protected.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    We have internet access, if there is a site that you cannot get to, such as a site selling weapons, or defense materials, etc... you can just use a proxy server to get to the site.

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied
    We have access to internet. There are some things it wont let you see (violence, guns, etc).

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X