No announcement yet.

Alone or with a partner(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work the 15h00 to 23h00 shift alone in a 500 room downtown hotel. I supervise the Security Officers working overnight at this hotel & 2 others out by the airport. If things get crazy they can call me. I can't call anyone

When we have an organized group with a history of causing trouble, we force them to pay for an extra overnight Officer. Problem these days is that some groups, knowing this, have their people book on the internet. So to us it looks like they are individuals & they don't have to pay for the extra security.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Well. Since I retired....like, that didn't last very long. LOL. A couple friends called and asked if I'd like to do a few hours a week. So I put in 24 hours a week end. Out on the range at a single officer site with three areas to watch. All fenced in of course, with alarms, radios, TV, refrigerator, micro-wave, etc. You know...that site you dream of for forty years. We stay qualified with firearms but if there is a problem I push a button or make a phone call and tell the desk "they" have a problem.

Comment

Contrary to what happened at the local mall where the guards stole a ton of stuff together, I think that multi officer sites cut down on nonsense, both legal and illegal.

When the shift goes by faster and officers have someone to BS with and variety, I feel the chances that a "bored" officer will start taking liberties goes down. OF course this can, and does, go the other way.

We generally get relieved by more officers than are necessary to man the posts. So, we get out on time with the very rare exception. Like BHR Lawson said, I can remember the coin flip days when an officer would call in sick and someone had to hold to meet minimum staffing. Nothing worse than getting that call when you have already gotten geared up to leave in a half hour and the sheets are calling.
        Last edited by CorpSec; 06-19-2007, 02:23 AM.

Comment

This is another valid point..

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
          Contrary to what happened at the local mall where the guards stole a ton of stuff together, I think that multi officer sites cut down on nonsense, both legal and illegal.

When the shift goes by faster and officers have someone to BS with and variety, I feel the chances that a "bored" officer will start taking liberties. OF course this can, and does, go the other way.

We generally get relieved by more officers than are necessary to man the posts. So, we get out on time with the very rare exception. Like BHR Lawson said, I can remember the coin flip days when an officer would call in sick and someone had to hold to meet minimum staffing. Nothing worse than getting that call when you have already gotten geared up to leave in a half hour and the sheets are calling.
          You know, this thought never came to mind when I changed the policy about doubles patrolling together, but is valid!

I had run a test program on this concept, and ended up with fantastic results! Officers did not hang out in store locations for very long and showed more interest in watching out for actions of the general public, the response times were awesome, and the effectiveness of handling situations has been amazing. Of course, as said above too, moral is very high. I recommend to any manager that this be a viable option when staffing!
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by War113 View Post
            We are like erm 15 officers for one shift during daytime and 10 during night.

We got some static post and a couple of patrollers.

Is that for all the downtown buildings or also Loyola?

Comment

I work all alone...... but it is not so bad. i have a lot of freedom at the site i work at currently. only requirements are to do a round every hour, and to remind people to make sure their kids behaving in the building, and that they dont have food or drinks at the computers..
              Its not how we die that counts.....
              Its not how we lived that counts....
              all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

I work with three people.
                Me, myself, and I.
                Sometimes alone at night, me will talk to myself,
                http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

My Company Is ALL patrol. There are no standing sites. We have between 30-40 patrol officers on the road a night. We are single officer units but our back up is close by. We are assigned 5-7 properties with 20-25 hits total. We do have specific duties such as lock ups to do at certain times depending on the cotract. But other then that as long as you get the patrols done you canpretty much do waht you want. If that means you go back up another officer on a call or do some hits together then so be it. Our day shift is a little more lonely. We are only between 3-10 officers on days poatroling special sites that need to get cleaned up. Again single man units but cover is still close.
                  Robert
                  Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                    Me, myself, and I.
                    You the guy outside the fence I see talking to him and himself?

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                      Me, myself, and I.
                      Jon,

You are still sane if you talk to yourself. It's when you start hearing voices that you have to start worrying

Comment

I am currently with a partner at my main property which I like a lot. Otherwise it all depends on the property some have only 1 officer, others have 2, or maybe even 3.

I love working with a partner, that is if they know what they are doing. We make a lot of high risk drug arrests and what-not and having two people dramaticlly decreases the chances of the suspect trying to resist, and if they do it usually is ended quickly. I also work in very very bad parts of town so having someone by my side at all times makes me feel much more comfortable when contacting multiple subjects.

Below is just an example of what I deal with, not my arrest but came from the property I am currently working. About a pound of meth and some coke.

Comment

I need to see if i can get some of my hospital's stats for calls for service and the variety of them for you guys. I think a lot of people would be suprised what all we deal with. I don't see us as a security force for a large campus. I look at us at the police for a small town. 40,000+ people on campus at one time.
                          "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
                          some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

I work on a platoon of 17 divided into 3 crews.
                            I find it depends on the partner, and the shift.
                            With that said there are always going to be days that I prefer to run solo.
                            But it is nice to know that there is back up if its needed.
                            on the off chance that I am working alone.
                            I know that Peel Regional Police is a radio call away.

Comment

partners

When i'm doing traffic patrol, i am alone. If I run across anything that requires extensive contact with persons, ie skateboarders, curfew violators, I will call for backup. When I do bike patrol, we are always teamed up.

Comment

Just thought I would use this forum to vent a little frustration...

Just got a call last night from my relief... sick, cant make it in... Okay that's cool... until I look on the board and low-and-behold the other S/O is taking a Vacation day that was not on the pre-scheduled time-off board...

So I call... every... single... security officer... and no one answers the phone? Why not? Because they see "BHR Security" come up on the caller ID and they know damn well why someone would be calling 20 minutes prior to shift change.

So...

I decide I'm going to wait for the Security/Facilities supervisor to arrive. According to the receptionist, she isn't coming in today, so I'm S.O.L. there. So we give a ring to the administrator on-call. Take a guess...

that's right... NO answer.

So here I sit, having just completed a 12-hr shift, with absolutely no idea wtf to do, no one to contact, no relief in sight. In my time in security, I have never abandoned a post.

Today may be the first.
                                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X