Bored silly!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored silly!!!

Our very old fire alarm system is being replaced at my downtown hotel. New addressable detectors have been added to the old zone type panel & this has kept us busy over the last few months. We've been averaging over 50 alarms per month!! Soon the addressable devices will be connected to the new panel & can be adjusted so they are not as sensitive. On Thursday the old system died. We have & are allowed a 2 step system. A pre-alarm rings. 1 employee stays at the panel & 2 respond to the alarm. Since Thursday the pre-alarm no longer works at the panel. The hotel can not afford to pay someone just to be in a place where they can hear the pre-alarm so now I have to spend 7 out of my 8 hour shift in my office so I can hear the pre-alarm. There is ony so much paperwork & internet surfing you can do. I'm bored!
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

I feel for you.
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

I used to work a hotel and I know exactly how you feel.
      Todd

Comment

Thanks goodness I can watch DVDs on my laptop.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Boredom can be a real drawback to some security posts. There are only so many "what if" scenarios that one can go over to stay mentally alert. Fortunately, some posts will allow a police scanner and similar items to be used during a shift. Otherwise, I'd probably start looking for another post before my brain atrophied.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
            Boredom can be a real drawback to some security posts. There are only so many "what if" scenarios that one can go over to stay mentally alert. Fortunately, some posts will allow a police scanner and similar items to be used during a shift. Otherwise, I'd probably start looking for another post before my brain atrophied.
            After 25 years here I doubt I would be looking elsewhere especially since the alarm company was given 4 choices

- 1) fix the old system until the new one is ready
            -2) get the new one up & operating immediately
            -3) post one of their employees 24 hours a day to monitor the alarm
            -4) pay us to post one of our people 24 hours a day to monitor the alarm.

The contract promised we would be protected during the conversion so legally they will have to do one of the above!!

Comment

Newspaper can really save the day.
              Especially the Sunday edition.
              Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
              Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Is the alarm loud enough to wake you?
                "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                  Is the alarm loud enough to wake you?
                  For sure! If you could sleep through it you'd have to be dead or deaf!

BTW: Today the decided to do suggestions 1 & 2. They managed to fix the old panel for the lower floors & got the new panel working for the upper floors (except they still come in as 2 zones per floor, we not at the addressable part yet where we will be able to know exactly what room the detector is in).

Comment

Hey it could be worse my hubby is currently working as an "contract" security director for a musuem throw the contract security company, to help instill security plan(s), for the musem along with supervision of "student officers" as this is located on a college campus around here, and he knows nothing about security installation and intergration :P but they are expecting him to fill the billet.... he know sets in meetings all day, and when not in a meeting stares at salmon colored walls and does some minimal paperwork.
                    Its not how we die that counts.....
                    Its not how we lived that counts....
                    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Sony PSP = lifesaver.

California Security Blog
                      Domain Registration Services

Comment

They have taken everything away from us that we could use to fight boredom. They also tried to make us stay at the same post the entire shift. 8 to 12 hours.

No cell phones
                        No PDA
                        NO radio
                        No computer
                        no TV
                        no Ipod
                        no books
                        no papers

How do they expect us to stay awake?

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                          They have taken everything away from us that we could use to fight boredom. They also tried to make us stay at the same post the entire shift. 8 to 12 hours.

No cell phones
                          No PDA
                          NO radio
                          No computer
                          no TV
                          no Ipod
                          no books
                          no papers

Are these rules put into place by your employer or the Client? Are you at a static post or do you get to move around a bit?

Better question, how do they expect you to give and receive information in instances as power outages, storms, etc....

No cell phones... What if the land line goes dead or is cut, your Wife or parent is in hospital, emergency notification...
                          No PDA... OK, maybe not absolutely necessary
                          NO radio... Storm or other weather emergencies? at a minimum, a WX band receiver should be allowed; if nothing else, you get to listen to a computer generated voice giving the 5 day extended forecast every 10 minutes...
                          No computer... Is your site set up for filing/emailing reports via computer? if so, a comp is a work necessity, and even without Admin priveledges, a bare bones system will have Solitaire or Freecell card type games on it...
                          no TV... Kinda tricky, but still falls into an Emergency notification type role, weather wise, PD issued requested public BOL's and the like...
                          no Ipod... Honestly, I can't really see a role for that one myself...
                          no books... Not even post orders or a CPO manual? no Gall's, Atlantic Tactical, or Quartermaster catalogs allowed?
                          no papers... Yeah, I dunno about that one...

Seriously, I would bring these issues up with your site/area supervisor and say "Hey, I do my job, but there's only so much I can do during shift to keep from going 10-96... There has to be provisions put into place for at least one or two (of the above mentioned) things that allegedly we have no need for..."

If your company is really concerned about the welfare of its Officers, I expect that they would go to the mat on a few issues to make shifts at a minimum bearable; It seems to me, a site where an Officer was restricted to what you have said, would actually wind up missing things happening around him because he was forced to be so job oriented that he lost all focus and perspective...
                          Last edited by flashlightcop509; 06-17-2007, 08:59 AM.
                          “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                          "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

I'm really fortunate at my current post. On dayshift you are usually a busy bee and are doing one thing after the next. Then nights are a complete 180. There is absolutely nothing to do... but on the flipside... they allow us a lot of freedom. Employees at night watch movies, play games on the internet, read books/newspapers/magazines, roll in one of the patient's TVs (patients cannot watch TV after 11pm) and hook up a PS2 or a DVD player, etc... it's a really relaxed workplace. If it wasn't for that, I'd crack.
                            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post

No cell phones
                              No PDA
                              NO radio
                              No computer
                              no TV
                              no Ipod
                              no books
                              no papers

We can have cell phones and books. So long as it is not during business hours we are permited to read. No need for us to have a radio in the shack cuz at a news station there are plenty of them.
                              Todd

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X