You have a nice guard "shack"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have a nice guard "shack"?

We're stuck in a "fire control" building but its really a closet with some electrical equipment. Hot. We have a chair, a battery charger and we toss our gear on top of a transformer.
    No access to refrigeration, a microwave or even a coffee pot (though I may see if I can at least remedy that).

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
    We're stuck in a "fire control" building but its really a closet with some electrical equipment. Hot. We have a chair, a battery charger and we toss our gear on top of a transformer.
    No access to refrigeration, a microwave or even a coffee pot (though I may see if I can at least remedy that).

Eek!

Do they at least give you boredom pay?
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

damn i am starting to like my shack its big got windows heaters AC a radio microwave

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
        12 x 24 building with heat/AC and running water. Refrigerator (15 cf), microwave oven, coffee pot, food storage cabinet, Satelite TV, DVD, computer, com-radios, telephone and a brand new Ranger patrol pick-up.

It is 12 miles from nowhere. Piece and quiet (except during hunting season when you have the ones that didn't see the signs, chains and gates.

Awwww. Life is good for old retired security guys.

Comment

I used to work at a NASA facility with a nuke power station, they tested rocket engines, and other "neat stuff." Never a dull moment.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Another reason to keep putting my resume out there.

Comment

a shack whats that

all i get is a pot of gold if i'm lucky

now i do have pov witch is 1994 chey caprice , I have a dvd player cd player lab top and afew other nice things ie 6 six pack of tp

the company i work for never ask for anything when get contact
              CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

I'm stuck in a building which is shared with the plant scale house and is located between 2 industrial truck scales.
                It's OK since between the guard shack and the scale ops room is a halway with a bathroom and a small kitchen.
                It sucks because we are trapped behind those scales, can't see much and we have just about no traffic or access control. Anyone who wants to can just drive in past the scales and if we see them we have little to no way to stop them.
                We DON'T weight the trucks. The plant has a certified scale operator 24/7 to do that. But we have control of the scale tickets. After a driver checks in with the scale op,.... "you did check in with the scale op, right? NO? Then go check in with the scale operator".
                If the shipping department is ready for that truck the scale op will send the driver to our window "...WINDOW, get out of our door. You can't read the big sign which says SECURITY PERSONEL ONLY and RESTRICTED AREA? Go to the window where I'm waiting. Here is your BLANK scale ticket. Print your name here, sign here and take it back to the scale window you just came from. When you are loaded, drive up on the scale on the outbound side and go to the scale house window on that side. No, don't come back to us, we don't scale you here, that's why there's a scale operator. Go to him to scale out."
                The phone rings off the hook since we also perform switchboard duties. We also take "call offs", plant employees calling in sick or for whatever reason they can come up to miss work. We fill out a CallOff form with employee name, department, clock number, time of call, supervisor and reason for call off. Then we contact the supervisor and pass on the info and note the name of the supervisor we spoke with and the time.
                Weekdays can get busy with trucks lined up to get on the inbound scales and others lining up to get on the outbound scale. Visitors checking in, contractors signing in on clipboards kept at our window and don't forget the phone which is still ringing.
                Weekends slow down some but we are a 24/7/365 operation so there's always someone rolling in or out.
                Here's a photo of the building where our guard shack is located.
                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

So, who's gonna hand out a blank scale ticket if you have a medical situation and or security incident? Can't be a scale operator, he/she sounds to busy LOL
                  ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                  Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Hmmm... don't work static gigs often where there's a 'guard shack' to speak of, generally we work out of our private vehicles (if the weather gets inhospitable)... at least it has a heater etc.
                    Last edited by Maelstrom; 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM.
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

As far as "Guard Shacks" go, my 2008 Ford Crown Victoria is pretty nice. Laptop, radio, CD player, ect. ect.....

Be safe,

Hank
                      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

The state was going to put in a nice office like small building this summer after they announced they were going to renovate. I even made a 32 page proposal complete with photos of before and after with all the pros of having one. They were impressed with it and bids started on getting it done. But some bean counter said "Wait! All the contracts expire in three months. Lets just dump it on someone else". So they not only suspended any maintenance and improvements to the whole place that has been over due they dropped the office project. Not to mention security by the end of September. We will be answering to a consortium company. They already cut out our back up officers from our sites in which we will be going it alone. We will be sharing the back office with the janitors for a while -sigh-. Strange, for a attendants office it's a mess, run down and dirty. And office is not going to happen for sometime now. We all are tired of 110 heat index, bugs and sitting in a chair that hurts and using a moldy old stinky podium as a desk. Typical state politics.
                        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
                          So, who's gonna hand out a blank scale ticket if you have a medical situation and or security incident? Can't be a scale operator, he/she sounds to busy LOL
                          Post Orders state that in the event the Security Officers are not available due to an emergency the scale operator will handle the sign in duties and answer the phone until the SO returns.
                          This has happened before. The SO is busy, maybe even off site (SOs regularly transport employees to see the company doctor at a clinic a few miles down the road as requested by the on site nurse,) and the guard shack is unmanned. The guard phone will ring 4 times and then roll over to the phone in the scale house. While this is going on nobody is watching the main gate, signing in visitors or checking vehicles. In effect, the scale operator becomes a sort of fill in Security guard all while facing into the plant and being responsible for the 2 scales by the main gate plus another scale used by our inhouse trucks running scrap from the dock or our scrapyard.
                          It's screwed up.
                          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I am inside a facility. Our security center is located in the lobby. We have our own space with CCTV, access control and alarm PC, regular PC, emergency phone and regular phones. Terror alert poster, printer/fax/copier, weather radio, medical box and AED unit...

It is a nice space.

Its very cool but it much be, we wear suits not the "cop like" uniforms, we look like FBI agents, LOL!
                            Shawn J. Gossman
                            Security Officer
                            5+ Years Experience

Comment

Our office is pretty nice considering...

We have a lower level room that is about 15'x17', centrally located to the rental villages, baselodges, and hotels; We also have our own phone line, a computer system for filing and emailing our daily reports to the client and the home office, and a fax machine for transmitting completed patrol logs, time off request forms, etc...

We also have a TV with a built in VCR (I just have to get the next guy up our food chain to round up some training videos for us ), a dorm sized fridge, microwave, toaster oven, and individual cup coffee maker...

Downside is, finishing the room was not quite a priority, as we have no drywall installed in our office (yet, I keep bugging the maintenance high muckety mucks about doing so). Kinda lacking some usable wall space there, but it's better than the office we were previously allocated, a room roughly 8'x8' with barely enough room for 4 Officers to stand in at once and not be elbow to elbow once you add the desk into the area...
                              Last edited by flashlightcop509; 08-22-2007, 07:39 AM.
                              “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                              "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X