Grooming standards-Beards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming standards-Beards

In another thread some have mentioned a photo of SOs with Beards. I thought it would be an interesting enough discussion on it's own so the other thread doesn't get too badly derailed.
    A coworker and I have been discussing this very subject for about a month now. He had a beard years ago before joining this security company and wants to regrow it now. The problem is that our manual states that SOs can't have beards. They want the clean cut, para-Police look for their officers.
    My buddy argues that if the beard is kept trimmed and neat, not like Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazzard, and since we aren't working where we will need to wear SCBA or gas masks, then he should be able to grow out his beard.
    So the first topic of discussion would be, "Do you personally have a problem with or a reason against SOs having beards"?
    Next, "Does your company allow beards for it's male officers and if so what are your thoughts on the matter?"

Post away.
    Hospital Security Officer

Grooming standards-Beards

Save the beards for detectives or vice. Otherwise, I prefer clean shaven or a mustache. Old-fashioned? Maybe. Just my 2 cents.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

My paticular account that I work does not allow beards. I agree with Mr. Security, I think that clean shaven or a well groomed 'stach is a more professional look. That's probably because I was in the military for six years, but I still cringe when I get to work and co-workers have a five-oclock shadow going on and its only 7am.

Comment

Agreed... Most of the companies I've worked for or heard from other Officers on, say that only moustaches or WELL-trimmed goatees are allowed... For example, the redhead in that pic (other thread) would be ok, the guy in the middle would NOT.... I myself have a goatee, but I keep it very short, and as tightly groomed as possible so I maintain the professional appearance.
        Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
        Originally posted by ValleyOne
        BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
        Shoulda called in sick.
        Be safe!

Comment

Local police up here allow beards. I, being from the south, don't like the idea of it for two reasons.

1. Depending on the site, you may indeed require to put on some kind of face mask as PPE. Guess what? Your shaving it all off then, so why have it now?

2. The current military standards, which the police use, and we use, are no beards. Everyone looks to the US Military for guidance, and they've come back with: No facial hair that won't allow for a face mask seal.

However, most of these security companies should be aware that without a proper reason, OSHA will have a field day with them. Unless you can argue that it disrupts company operations, you have to accomodate people who can't shave for medical/religious reasons.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
            "Does your company allow beards for it's male officers and if so what are your thoughts on the matter?"
            Yeah sure, and the female officers too.
            10-8

Comment

I have a goatee and mustasche, always kept short and trim. The client as well as my supervisor has no problem with it even if I am in uniform.

Comment

I have no problems with a well kept goatee.
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  .....I prefer clean shaven or a moustache. Old-fashioned? Maybe. Just my 2 cents.
                  I guess it comes down to the fashion of the day and there was a time in history when it was fashionable, even in the military to wear beards.

However, I go along with Mr Security, as quoted above.

Comment

I used to work under a lieutenant at my mall and he had really squared away looking goatee. On the other hand, one of our sergeants who in his officer days had the nastiest goatee this side of the mississippi!

Comment

Originally posted by EH126
                      .... On the other hand, one of our sergeants who in his officer days had the nastiest goatee this side of the mississippi!
                      Makes it easy for the assailant to grab the goatee so the s/o can't duck and then punch him right in the snout.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        you have to accomodate people who can't shave for medical/religious reasons.
                        I, Myself have had trouble and needed to get a medical note stating that I have very sensative skin and could not shave on a daily basis. the third or fourth day i will shave, this way I know that my skin has healed. I would love to wake up and be able to shave everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by hemi444
                          ..... I would love to wake up and be able to shave everyday.
                          Not that you haven't thought about this idea, but what happens if you used an electric shaver?

Comment

Use an electric razor as Mr. Security suggests. Also use a non alcoholic before shave lotion and afterward, a non alcoholic after-shave lotion.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

Comment

Strangely, most companies I worked for (even the warm bodies) would not hire Hemi44. These were, of course, in Florida, where beards are "frowned upon." All of them had, as a pre-employment clause, a statement that:

Any person who cannot shave for medical reasons shall be deemed medically unfit for this job position.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X