Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible updated law in NC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Possible updated law in NC

    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...L/S1120v1.html

  • #2
    Do these "company police" have to graduate from a LE academy?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
      Do these "company police" have to graduate from a LE academy?
      Yea they do. This is taken form the NC attorney general site regarding company police.

      To be commissioned as a company police officer, an individual must meet the minimum standards [link to page] required for employment and certification as a law enforcement officer in North Carolina, including completion of the Basic Law Enforcement Training course required of any other officer. The officer will then receive law enforcement certification from the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission. The Company Police Program also requires that officers be examined on the law and administrative rules governing company police.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank goodness. Otherwise, I was going to stay out of NC.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

        Comment


        • #5
          Mr. Security should stay out of their neighbor to the south, then. While the patch says "Security," they have all the powers of a deputy sheriff.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
            Mr. Security should stay out of their neighbor to the south, then. While the patch says "Security," they have all the powers of a deputy sheriff.
            Exactly right, South Carolina's armed SO's have Deputy Sheriff powers while on duty. I did a ride along with a company down there once and they couldn't understand how it was possible to do Security without arrest powers...and I was hard pressed to explain it.

            This new law just basically changes some wording to take away some of the 'gray' areas and was acutally brought about by the Company Police Department Heads lobbying our representatives, they were tired of having to go through the same training but not allowed alot of the same courtesies as everyone else, such as paying for state mandated training.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by talon View Post
              Exactly right, South Carolina's armed SO's have Deputy Sheriff powers while on duty. I did a ride along with a company down there once and they couldn't understand how it was possible to do Security without arrest powers...and I was hard pressed to explain it.

              This new law just basically changes some wording to take away some of the 'gray' areas and was acutally brought about by the Company Police Department Heads lobbying our representatives, they were tired of having to go through the same training but not allowed alot of the same courtesies as everyone else, such as paying for state mandated training.
              All licensed security officers in SC have arrest powers not just armed officers.
              "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

              Comment


              • #8
                Beat me to it. The armed license is just a license to carry a gun or shotgun. The actual security license is what gives you the powers of a deputy sheriff.

                Virginia, I believe, vests limited arrest powers in its armed license. But not as a law enforcement officer.

                Its interesting, since the statute reads "all the powers of a deputy sheriff." This would basically make you... a deputy sheriff. I am unsure if the state law considers you a law enforcement officer for purposes of battery, etc, but many SC statutes read "and those vested in arrest powers..." meaning private security.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

                "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                  All licensed security officers in SC have arrest powers not just armed officers.
                  I stand corrected. I'm not sure how the state views the SO's down there as far as if they are considered LEO's or not, but it seems that the State of SC has no problems with Security having arrest powers I just wish more states would jump on the band wagon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Virginia armed does have arrest authority on site. They are not considered LEO's. We have something similar to the Company Police in NC, they are called Special Conservators of the Peace, or Special Police. They are considered part of Private Security, but can work for municipalities as an augmentaion for Law Enforcement. They are considered LEO's.
                    Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

                    Comment

                    Leaderboard

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X