Can they really do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they really do this?

I just got hired at a private college. One of the rules states that as a contract employee I may not date any students. Can they really put make rules like this?

Why would you want to put yourself in that situation? It's called a conflict of interest, and I would probably have the same rule. Say you date one of the students. People are going to complain that you're being too lenient or giving her special treatment. If you guys break up, she could file all sorts of complaints to try and get you in trouble. Drama, drama, drama!

This is one of those rules that sounds odd at first, (and whether it's truly enforceable or not is debatable), but has sound reasoning behind it.
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Damn right they can make that rule. You are in a position of authority over them and it would be unethical on your part. Just like a teacher dating a student, or a police officer hitting on a lady he pulled over.

You're there to work, remember that. It can swing just as badly for you as it can for the student you end up dating. In my opinion, the college shouldn't have to make the rule, you should already have a personal value of ethics. One of those ethical rules is Don't sh*t where you eat.

Keep your nose clean, find tail outside of work. If you meet someone outside of work and they happen to go to the college, fine, but don't meet someone AT the college.
      Anything that hits the fan,
      Will not be evenly distributed.

Comment

Bottom Line: They can make any rule that does not discriminate against a protected status, violates a criminal or administrative law, or requires that you violate same.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Yes they can make that rule because as someone stated, it is considered a conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TimothyHandy View Post
            I just got hired at a private college. One of the rules states that as a contract employee I may not date any students. Can they really put make rules like this?
            Of course they can. Not only is it a major conflict of interest it is also an ethical violation and might be a criminal violation as well because you are in a position of authority regardless of your title and job duties.

Comment

Now, this is very pleasant and hopefull of the industry I know.. A code of ethics being so strong in so many! Congrats! I am impressed!
              Deputy Sheriff

Comment

You should be glad that they have the rule. I work at a college and believe me, if you date a co-ed it will eventually come back to haunt you. What would you do when and if your main squeeze became the person that you needed to write up for a violation of some type? If you did the write up, then she would try to get you into trouble for doing your job and if you did not write her up, other students would also expect you to give them a break. Either way, it is trouble for you. As others have said it is not ethical for you to date a co-ed at the school where you work. Stay away from this trouble and be glad that there is a rule that you can relate to anyone who wants to be your "friend".
                Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307 View Post
                  You should be glad that they have the rule. I work at a college and believe me, if you date a co-ed it will eventually come back to haunt you. What would you do when and if your main squeeze became the person that you needed to write up for a violation of some type? If you did the write up, then she would try to get you into trouble for doing your job and if you did not write her up, other students would also expect you to give them a break. Either way, it is trouble for you. As others have said it is not ethical for you to date a co-ed at the school where you work. Stay away from this trouble and be glad that there is a rule that you can relate to anyone who wants to be your "friend".
                  Nail on the head.

Comment

I had a detail awhile ago over night at a Toyota dealership.
                    I was there to provide security for the dealership, not drive the cars all night long.

Same goes for dating someone from work. Most businesses frown on that.

My wife works for the same contract security company I do.
                    We are not allowed to work togther, beacuse of favoritism I might show toward my wife.

Be gratefull that rule is in place. It is there for a very good reason.
                    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

It kind of sounds like that just might be one of the reasons you took the job, so you could find a nice young lady.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X