Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uniforms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Uniforms

    I am wondering every-ones opinion concerning uniforms. I see, in rare cases, the class a suit, the traditional "police style" class b/c uniforms, bdu/511 trousers and a polo shirt, jump suits, jeans and tee-shirts - special events, sporting complexes, ect..... last but least, The one that really gets me going, with the exception of the security officers that wear these for a purpose in the daily operation of their job. The I am a bad-ass want to be , bdu trousers, a drop tactical holster, tee-shirt with a tactical vest with security on the back, loaded to the gilt with toys, including another weapon for those quick draw needs and a badge on the sam brown or on a chain around the neck, in-which in Ca. is illegal, and can not forget the mirrored sunglasses and/or the cover that says Sheriff or Police on it. I know the traditional class b/c uniform is the standard, however, what type of uniform do you wear and what uniform would you prefer?
    "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
    (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

  • #2
    Is this by chance the look that "get's you going"?

    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DarkMetalWolf View Post
      ::SNIP::
      I know the traditional class b/c uniform is the standard, however, what type of uniform do you wear and what uniform would you prefer?
      My head hurts now.

      I get to wear a traditional uniform, now light blue shirt, navy pants.

      I'd like to be wearing pajamas. At home. In bed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
        I'd like to be wearing pajamas. At home. In bed.
        I agree with you on that one... lol
        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

        Comment


        • #5
          My opinion on uniforms... The uniform you wear really depends on what type of security you are involved in.

          HotelSecurity would likely agree that a tactical-looking uniform would be stupid at his hotels. At the same time, one of our newest members, Marshall, would likely agree that a suit coat and dress pants would be stupid at his nuclear plant. So, as I said, it really depends on what you are doing.

          As far as what our company issues... Navy BDU Cargo Pants and Gray Duty Shirts. I'll attach a pic to give you an idea.
          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by davis002 View Post
            As far as what our company issues... Navy BDU Cargo Pants and Gray Duty Shirts. I'll attach a pic to give you an idea.
            Which looks mighty sharp, btw- I never thought grey would look good over the navy, but it's not bad at all.

            We wear straight LAPD style uniforms. All navy, with the oval shield. BDUs are not issued, but are allowed for the S/Os who work night shift. My company also prefers that only nightshift S/Os wear nylon gear, as they want the nice shiny leather worn during the day so we look as professional and polished as possible. (Personally, I only like the leather gear for parade dress, special events, etc... But whatever floats your boat, eh?)

            As Davis said, there's nothing wrong with the 'tactical' look that you seem to get all hot & bothered over, (LOL ) as long as it fits the type of work you're doing.
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
              My head hurts now.

              I get to wear a traditional uniform, now light blue shirt, navy pants.

              I'd like to be wearing pajamas. At home. In bed.
              LOL..... How you liking your new employer Hopefully all will go smooth for you guys tomorrow

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Charger View Post
                As Davis said, there's nothing wrong with the 'tactical' look that you seem to get all hot & bothered over, (LOL ) as long as it fits the type of work you're doing.
                I agree with the tactial uniform (IF) it fits the job you are doing. My problem comes from guards that wear this, dose something stupid and of course there is not much room to clearly identify the security officer, local law enforcement shows up, the media shows up, then come the politics all because somebody wants to "look" cool. This is where I get all hot and bothered...... I went to the post office the other day and had noticed a fellow standing in front of the post office dressed in a tactical get up. As I came out of post office there was about forty deputies holding this guy at gun point. Yep, you guessed it. He was in a full tactical dress. No markings visible. I went over to a deputy friend of mine after they secured the suspect and this is what he told me. The suspect was the "security Guard for the post office. He was armed with not one, not two but three guns. Not that this was bad enough, he worked for the property owner. No guard card, no gun permit and no markings but a small security patch on the back of the vest. Yes he did go to jail for a number of charges. But this is where this question has arose from.
                "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
                (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DarkMetalWolf View Post
                  I agree with the tactial uniform (IF) it fits the job you are doing. My problem comes from guards that wear this, dose something stupid and of course there is not much room to clearly identify the security officer, local law enforcement shows up, the media shows up, then come the politics all because somebody wants to "look" cool. This is where I get all hot and bothered...... I went to the post office the other day and had noticed a fellow standing in front of the post office dressed in a tactical get up. As I came out of post office there was about forty deputies holding this guy at gun point. Yep, you guessed it. He was in a full tactical dress. No markings visible. I went over to a deputy friend of mine after they secured the suspect and this is what he told me. The suspect was the "security Guard for the post office. He was armed with not one, not two but three guns. Not that this was bad enough, he worked for the property owner. No guard card, no gun permit and no markings but a small security patch on the back of the vest. Yes he did go to jail for a number of charges. But this is where this question has arose from.

                  Ahh... Sounds like fun. LOL

                  I'm not familiar with CA regulations... Is In-house security required to get licensed as well there? I know OR regulates both contract and in-house, but WA only does contract. Since they took him in, I'm assuming he probably had some of his stuff concealed, without a permit or something?

                  Yea, that's a prime example of taking 'the look' too far. I'm happy with my regular uniform, unless I'm getting 'down & dirty' somewhere. THEN I'll spring for some BDUs... But a full-on tactical rig would just be silly for my work.
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  Originally posted by ValleyOne
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I do agree that some places go overboard in terms of uniforms. For example in my position being a trainer, a military uniform may or may not be necessary. When I am teaching AED, CPR, and First Aid, a uniform is actually a hinderance because the class I am teaching is physically strenuous.

                    But I believe in a corporate environment, tactical is not the way to go. Tactical may give the wrong impression where as a corporate security uniform presents a more professional, customer service, and business-like atmosphere.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      After leaving the last PSC I worked for that consisted of mainly section 8 government housing complexes and high risk construction sites, the company I work for has all black traditional uniform, + the optional S.O. collar insignia (about to be SGT stripes) with a tactical looking earpieces mic set + duty belt with cuffs [if certified in handcuffing, which I am] and that's about it since I work Mall Security currently. Had to take off the LV III retention holster for my .45ACP. In the past though, I wore a dark blue police type zip up faux button up shirt and black BDUs and a black Marine Corps 8 Point Hat with "Security" written across it. I'd post a pic of me from those days, but I have yet to see a Security Info Watch Members Pic Thread, so I'll not be the only one to represent in that manner. All in all it does come down to the type of enviroment one is in. I honestly prefer the BDUs but most companies don't want to allow the wearing of them. I see them however as more practical for a number of reasons though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Keep in mind there's already a threadon uniforms with 15 pages of comments at- http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...read.php?t=416
                        Hospital Security Officer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I dont' want/need the tactical look, but I have to wear a white uniform shirt. I'm the type that dirt is just attracted to. I look, reach, bend, inspect etc, to do a good job. I hate to have an unprofessional look but just how can you do a good job and keep a white shirt clean?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by craig333 View Post
                            I hate to have an unprofessional look but just how can you do a good job and keep a white shirt clean?
                            A good question.

                            We had to wear the white shirts when I did mall security years ago. In the end, it was a lot more trouble than it was worth, in my opinion, but here's what I did:

                            Remove the patches from the shirts. (Carefully, of course.. lol)
                            Get a roll of white velcro strips from a local fabric store.
                            Adhere one side of the velcro around the back edge of the patches, and the opposite side of the velcro on the shirt where the patches go. (Paying special attention to place it so none shows when the patches are stuck on.)
                            Wash the shirt on it's own in regular full-strength bleach. (The 'color-safe' stuff never seemed to be strong enough to make the shirts stay brilliant white.)

                            It was a pain to always have to remove the patches before each wash, but it kept the shirts looking nice. If you're not handy with a needle, (which most of us aren't... I guess those home-ec classes in school paid off.. LMAO) I'm sure an alteration shop would be willing/able to do the above stuff for you for a small fee.
                            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                            Originally posted by ValleyOne
                            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I like your idea!

                              I am wondering how the patch would look after you velcro it on though? Does it stay flush mount with the shirt, and after washes and washes, will it remain sticky? LOL! I may try this out!

                              My department runs the White Standard Duty shirt (which I hate, as it does get trashed so easily), and we are using the tactical 5.11, as they carry a warentee and hold up nicely! The dress trouser rips immediately and always wears out way to fast.

                              I on the other hand, have the fun of dressing myself in business attire, with tie, badge on belt, and tactical carriers that are descrete. Fortunately I get a good price from one of our stores, as I go through clothes just as fast!
                              Deputy Sheriff

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X