Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Many in-house guards unregulated

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    We have 2 interviews, background (FBI and BCA, and they called every personal and professional referance I had on my app., also a drug and alcohol screen, and DOT physical.
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by davis002 View Post
      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4846393.html

      [I]"They wear uniforms, guard some of the country's largest corporations and sometimes carry weapons. But so-called in-house private security guards escape even the minor regulatory oversight some states impose on contract guards."
      Thank you for making my point.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
        Most security regulation isn't about verifying resumes. Its about two things:

        1. We will prevent you (the contract employer) from hiring felons, because we know you will if you can.

        2. We will prevent you (the contract employer) from violating "the trust of the people of the state of ____________), by providing substandard services, because we know that you will.
        Very true. Many private security companies (in-house and contract) simply want their own militia's and do not care about the rights of others or the law.

        Comment


        • #19
          Two things of note. I understand that in Minneapolis, 20 dollars an hour isn't bad for security... But for most other places in the country, you are making as much as a sworn law enforcement officer, without being sworn.

          That security personnel make 15-25 dollars an hour in Minneapolis has always astounded me.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
            That security personnel make 15-25 dollars an hour in Minneapolis has always astounded me.
            But what is the cost of living there? It may be that the 15-25 an hour equals out to be comparable to other states when taking into account the cost of living.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Christopherstjo View Post
              But what is the cost of living there? It may be that the 15-25 an hour equals out to be comparable to other states when taking into account the cost of living.
              I thought about that, but if I remember correctly, its still a lot of money, even with COL. I think that quite a few companies are paying their employees 8-10 an hour in that city.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

              Comment


              • #22
                I know that the federal accounts here, in KCMO, pay right around $20 an hour. The rest is pretty poor wages, all things considered and cost of living taken into account.

                I know of one private employer who requires their s/o's to buy their own uniforms and is pretty unreasonable in what they will and will not allow; expecting their s/o's to pay as much as $70 to $80 dollars for a pair of pants on top of having to buy their own shirts; hats, coats and duty belt equipment. Yet, offer no benefits and pay only $10 an hour to start.

                Comment


                • #23
                  The cost of living here isn't that bad. I bought a place in 2002 for $145,000 in a nice suburb and I think that things are more or less pretty reasonably priced compared to the coasts. A nice apartment can be had for $700-800 a month.

                  Warm body contract security work can easily pay $12 or so. In-house tends to pay considerably more. I have officers that make over 50k that still bi*ch about the wages!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Christopherstjo View Post
                    But what is the cost of living there? It may be that the 15-25 an hour equals out to be comparable to other states when taking into account the cost of living.
                    It's not bad, I own my own home (not a town-home) with a 3 car garage that was built in 1998. I have a new car (baught new in 01), have 2 dogs, and still have money left over.
                    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Contract security around here has really raised the bar on wages, but their benefits still lag far behind in-house. I get 5 weeks off a year paid and have 3 more weeks in my PTO bank. I get profit sharing, the company reimburses me for my suits and pays for their dry cleaning. I get full medical and dental, a 401K, and a pretty good pension.

                      If I took a job as a sworn officer, I would be taking a large pay cut to start out and it wouldn't quite catch up after time. Public sector raises tend to be in the 2.5 to 3 percent range. Our raises have averaged double that, sometimes more.

                      There really isn't much armed security around these parts. Armed doesn't really pay all that great either with most, not all, companies. I can comfortably say that their are a lot more unarmed security personnel in this area making $20 plus than armed.
                      Last edited by CorpSec; 06-02-2007, 02:46 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by CorpSec View Post

                        If I took a job as a sworn officer, I would be taking a large pay cut to start out and it wouldn't quite catch up after time. Public sector raises tend to be in the 2.5 to 3 percent range. Our raises have averaged double that, sometimes more.

                        There really isn't much armed security around these parts. Armed doesn't really pay all that great either with most, not all, companies. I can comfortably say that their are a lot more unarmed security personnel in this area making $20 plus than armed.

                        When I worked private armed, the most I got paid was $10.25 an hour with no bennefits at all. What's messed up is, Minnesota Correctional Facilities, trainee pay for at least 6 weeks, is $12.74 per hour...
                        Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                          When I worked private armed, the most I got paid was $10.25 an hour with no bennefits at all. What's messed up is, Minnesota Correctional Facilities, trainee pay for at least 6 weeks, is $12.74 per hour...
                          Give me the money, I couldn't care less about the gun in a corporate environment. I worked with a guy years back that worked for a little mom and pop outfit that claimed as long as he could carry his gun he would work for a dollar an hour. His co-workers would catch him playing quick draw and everything.

                          He must have done a lot of growing up because he is now in supervision at another big hospital campus in a very bad area of Minneapolis. That is unarmed work and probably pays in the $25+ range. I guess he came around to my way of thinking!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Traditionally, in-house has always paid better and had better benefits. I think this stems largely becuase of a sense of personal ownership in security as opposed to contract security that is pretty much in it for the bottom dollar.

                            I think contract security had the potential to be huge benefit but unfortunately too many private employer's merely see it as a means to fill their greed by applying the "warm body" syndrome, and paying crappy wages and as little beneifts (if any) as possible.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              The COL in many areas of NE (New England) is steep. For example, a small one bedroom apartment rents for $650-700/month and a small three bedroom house sells for approximately $250,000. However, SOs unarmed are only paid $9-12/hour. This means that you need a second income or 20-40 hours of overtime a week to manage.

                              I would gladly work for those MN hourly rates.
                              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                                Give me the money, I couldn't care less about the gun in a corporate environment. I worked with a guy years back that worked for a little mom and pop outfit that claimed as long as he could carry his gun he would work for a dollar an hour. His co-workers would catch him playing quick draw and everything.

                                He must have done a lot of growing up because he is now in supervision at another big hospital campus in a very bad area of Minneapolis. That is unarmed work and probably pays in the $25+ range. I guess he came around to my way of thinking!

                                Which hospital?

                                Abbott tops out for officers at about $18.00 per hour.

                                North Memorial tops out for officers at about $21.00 per hour.

                                HCMC topts out at $22.10 per hour.

                                (last time we checked the market)
                                Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X