Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Safety Officers for Medical facilities around here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Safety Officers for Medical facilities around here?

Hey everyone, I first joined this forum I was still working armed security for a company that I did not particularly enjoy. The work was long, boring (welcome to security, right?)...and worst of all I was guarding a shoe store. Some of the stores I liked, others I loathed (When the store manager hates the security officers and tells the staff that any employee is caught talking to the guard will be written up, it makes for a looooong day).

Anyway, that company was the typical security company that does not value training or actual security operations. The hiring process was all too easy (Can you fog up a mirror? **Usually** Ok, you're hired.), and the training consisted of them telling me not to sit down too much, not be on the phone to much, and try to stay on the sales floor in view as often as possible.

Long story short, I left that company in December of 2005 and went back to selling retail auto parts (which is what I was doing before working security, but with a different auto parts company) and planned on doing that until I was finished with college, when I would start looking for a career in law enforcement.

A few months back I had a customer come in while wearing his hospital security uniform and I started talking with him about his job, and that I used to work for a shady security company, but left because I valued my life more than I valued getting to relax at work. He's been working at a hospital for 16 years and asked me if I ever thought about getting into it, I told him yeah, and that I actually had looked at his hospitals website, but that the hospital required 100% availability, which I didn't have because I'm still in college.

I must've talked with him for almost an hour, telling him about my internship with a police department, and my work history and he said if I wanted to come and work there, he'd try to get me in but I had to get my resume up on the website.

I went home and thought it over, but when I went to the site it said that only temporary work was available. Since I have a steady full time job, I didn't want to throw that away for temp security work.

Anyway, he called me last night and told me there were 2 full time midnights spots coming open in the next couple weeks, and asked me if I still wanted to come and work for them. I said I would definitely be interested and talked with him for about half an hour last night, and while not trying to count my chickens before they hatch, I think I'll be working hospital security in a few weeks.

I'm interested in hearing from any other guards on advice on what REAL Security work (No offense to anyone else, but I don't think what I was doing counted.) is all about. Also, any other medical facility staff on site here? If so, what do you do, what are your responsibilities, how do you enjoy your job?

The guy I was talking with last night seems to think that this department will be becoming Public Act 330, I don't fully understand what it means, but he said he thinks it will give us powers of arrest similar to the Mall Security officers in our area. Any clarification on what this actually is?

Thanks a ton everyone, looks like I'll actually fit in around here again soon!!
    Last edited by Contact; 05-30-2007, 02:53 PM.
    Anything that hits the fan,
    Will not be evenly distributed.

This thread may be of some insight as to what you may be getting into for better or worst ??.

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=2888
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
      This thread may be of some insight as to what you may be getting into for better or worst ??.

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=2888
      Thanks for the link!

Sounds like it's right up my alley. I'm looking for something that is more closely related to police work than selling auto parts. LOL

Comment

Act 330 security police officers are basically cops in that they can arrest people, but not cops in that you're referred to by the state as an "arrest powers security guard," but not "officially."

Look up the Michigan Department of Law Enforcement's website about Act 330 Security Police, it'll explain the minimum requirements. You may need to be POST certified to be an Act 330 Guard.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I just came off of a 2 week job at a hospital...it was interesting to say the least.

We had local PD drop off a psych patient and leave saying it was against thier policy to stay while they waited for the Doctors to commit the person.

I had three people die while I was there and one other one almost die at my feet.

I had to help restrain combative psych patients and one of my partners had to chase one down trying to escape.

All in all it was a good experience, if the Hospital is going the act 330 route that is a good thing.

So I say go for it the experience is worth it.

Comment

I work at a Maximum Security Psych Hospital, as a security guard (basically glorified dispatcher) but it is definetly more interesting, and pays better, than anything I have ever done.

Comment

Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards has the info that might help you reference Act 330. The web site also lists the hospitals that currently have Private Security Police.

http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,160...413---,00.html

Comment

Here's my input:

First there usually is a difference between a S/O and a Safety Officer in a healthcare facility. Although some places may call there security safety officers and by all means every person in a hospital is a safety officer.

As mentioned before hospital security is a whole different breed. Like I like to tell all of my new officers, 95% of the people that come into our ER are already upset about something.....Within 2 hours the other 5% are upset due to the wait!

You will deal with almost any type of situation in a hospital. Drugs, intoxicated persons, theft/breakins, domestics, assaults, victims of violent crimes etc etc. I'm in my 3rd healthcare facility (2nd hospital, first one was a veterans facility) and I love it. Every day is different. Today I had 3 trauma alerts arrive in a span of 10 minutes.

Listen to the veteran officers at your facility. Learn from them on how to deal with certain situations. You must be firm, yet you have to also understand why someone is upset. There is nothing you can do to make their wait shorter, but you can make them realize it's not personal.

Some officers get very involved in peoples issues. I personally try to keep a bit of a distance. It can burn you out fast. I have seen officers that have gotten so burnt out that they transfer to another site. Get a hobby, find something to take your mind off work and as in any case, leave work at the time clock.

Visit www.iahss.org I suggest taking at least the Basic Level Certification. Even if it's on your own dime. I paid for mine and I'm glad I did. It's given me a better understanding of my job and also makes you marketable if you decide to stay in hospital security.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability.

Good luck and welcome!

Comment

Hospital security is the greatest job I have ever had. I've worked some "rinky-dink" contract security and also have worked armed security for low income housing and I have to say, hospital work is a whole differant animal. It does somewhat depend on the hospital you work at because some have a lot more activity then others. As of yesterday, our security department was sitting at about 60,900 calls for service, for 2007 so far. In 2005, we took about 68,000 calls for service. It's tiring, but worth it.
                  Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Great information guys, I really appreciate it!

GCMC, if I get in at the hospital, I'll definitely take that course that you recommended. The thing I'm kind of excited about is that the guy called me out of the blue to let me know that he was still trying to get me in. In my mind if I were trying to get someone a job with me, I wouldn't make a phone call unless I had a good degree of certainty that I could get them the job. Why reach out unless somthing is looking pretty good?

By the sounds of things, this is going to be a great job and a lot of fun to boot. My dad did hospital security for 3 years and he said it was the most awesome job he'd ever had. It was 25 years ago, but he still said it was the best job he's ever held.

Comment

Hey guys, just a quick update, and an additional question if I may.

I have spoken with the hiring person with the hospital, and she says she is looking for a contingent officer, and that she could give me numerous hours a week, but not insurance.

I have written her back to see whether or not it would be possible to eventually take over a full time position with insurance when one becomes available.

Is this how most organizations work, where you start out as a contingent and move into full time if everything works out? Just wondering, because in the meantime, I'll have to keep my current job because I have health insurance and don't want to lose it.

Things are really looking up though guys! I'm excited about this opportunity!!

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
                        Hey guys, just a quick update, and an additional question if I may.

I have spoken with the hiring person with the hospital, and she says she is looking for a contingent officer, and that she could give me numerous hours a week, but not insurance.

I have written her back to see whether or not it would be possible to eventually take over a full time position with insurance when one becomes available.

Is this how most organizations work, where you start out as a contingent and move into full time if everything works out? Just wondering, because in the meantime, I'll have to keep my current job because I have health insurance and don't want to lose it.

Things are really looking up though guys! I'm excited about this opportunity!!
                        It's popular in hospitals to hire what they call PRN (never figured out what it means lol) and then move them into a full-time position. If you are single and young still, I say go for it. If you got kids though.............

Comment

Single, No kids. Just college, but my "in" keeps telling me how good they are about working around schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
                            Single, No kids. Just college, but my "in" keeps telling me how good they are about working around schedules.
                            In that case, in my opinion, take it. PRN is great for college students. Plus it will let you decide if the facility is for you before you take on a full time position.

Good Luck!

PS: Is this at Oakwood?

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security View Post
                              In that case, in my opinion, take it. PRN is great for college students. Plus it will let you decide if the facility is for you before you take on a full time position.

Good Luck!

PS: Is this at Oakwood?
                              10-4, I hear them like crazy on my scanner. Sounds like a decent facility to work for.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X