new law regarding security patrol vehicles in fl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new law regarding security patrol vehicles in fl

The governor yesterday signed a bill that starting juy first will allow security vehicles leased or owned by proprietary or licensed security agencies to display a 50% green 50 percent amber light scheme and allow said vehicles to activate the lights on public or private roads when the security officers are performing security duties. this bill was brought on because of the difficulty encountered by LE last year in finding security vehicles duing the last hurricane season among a sea of flashing amber lights.

Link to bill text http://flhouse.gov/Sections/Document...7&Session=2007
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Good to see they opened this up to proprietary security as well unlike the battery on a licensed security officer.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
      Good to see they opened this up to proprietary security as well unlike the battery on a licensed security officer.
      Can't proprietary security officers in Florida be licensed?
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

yes they can be but once they are licensed they must conform to all laws pertaining to licensed security. They must be uniformed , cannot use force to protect property etc.

Comment

Here, in KCMO, we are permitted to run all blue lights if we want; some companies are permitted to operate their private security patrol cars as emergency vehicles, as well.

My employer takes old rotaor light bars and converts them into LED light bars which actually turns out very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherstjo View Post
            Here, in KCMO, we are permitted to run all blue lights if we want; some companies are permitted to operate their private security patrol cars as emergency vehicles, as well.

My employer takes old rotator light bars and converts them into LED light bars which actually turns out very nice.
            you also have special arrest powers given to you by the Pd by virtue of you license. so you can run blue lights. Here in Florida security officers do not have statutory law enforcement powers we are private citizens.the only ones who can run blue lights are law enforcement . So we were restricted to amber lights. if law enforcement didn't push for the light change we probably wouldn't have gotten it.
            Last edited by bigdog; 05-23-2007, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Personally I am very much against the use of amber lights becuase they are commonly ignored on the premise that it is "only" construction vehicles.

In Colorado, state law says that security may run roatating blue with stationary red that face only backwards... security in Colorado have no special arrest / police powers. However, in Denver, the powers that be refuse to permit security to use anything other than amber and the light bar has to be covered at all times when the patrol car is not specifically in use for patrol. Of course, it is also a criminal offense for security to refer to themselves as a "security "officer"" and yes, Denver PD will issue tickets if you call yourself such... they want security personnel to know that they are neither wanted nor appreciated by Denver PD.

Comment

Well, this is good news! Now if we can convince G4S/TWC offices to transcend the lightbars on all the vehicles. I doubt it though since we all still have wheel guns and pimp leather. We are lucky to have bullets I think.
                My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

They have no choice. It is now a violation of Chapter 493 to have amber lights only. Licensed security vehicles must have amber and green light bars to comply with Chapter 493, just like any color other than amber was a violation.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

the law actually doesn't change chapter 493. It is a change in chapter 316.2397 the prohibited lights statute. SO technically even though the law now allows green 493 still prohibits it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                      the law actually doesn't change chapter 493. It is a change in chapter 316.2397 the prohibited lights statute. SO technically even though the law now allows green 493 still prohibits it.
                      That's brilliant. So, the traffic code makes it legal for proprietary security, but 493 makes it a misdemeanor to simply have green lights on the vehicle. Sounds like an out so that the major companies don't have the change.

Have you noticed that a lot of these FASCO laws leave large gaping holes in them? They got Batt. SO, but you have to have a patch that says "licensed security officer" on it. They got the light law, but its illegal to actually have the lights if you're licensed (read contract) security.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                        That's brilliant. So, the traffic code makes it legal for proprietary security, but 493 makes it a misdemeanor to simply have green lights on the vehicle. Sounds like an out so that the major companies don't have the change.

Have you noticed that a lot of these FASCO laws leave large gaping holes in them? They got Batt. SO, but you have to have a patch that says "licensed security officer" on it. They got the light law, but its illegal to actually have the lights if you're licensed (read contract) security.

Oh, great. I just wonder what good they are for. Making concessions or conforming to meet special lobbyists and groups makes them and most related outfits in my opinion useless. Sorry, but it's like the NRA saying you can have a gun but you can't have any ammo for it.
                        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post

Sounds more like a legislative oversight to me. I would think they'd have to come back and revisit 493 or else they've created a "legal conundrum", perhaps unintentionally. Happens all the time.
                          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

FASCO's last bill, authorizing security to do stop and frisk, directly violated the "defense from physical harm to person" only law in 493. When it was brought up, FASCO's attorney noted that "we can't make waves," and basically knew these issues and cared little for them. It was basically a "stop, or I'll say stop again" law.

That bill, though, died without support in committee.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X