study time for CHSO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• study time for CHSO

what is the recommended study time for the certified healthcare security officer test given by IAHSS?

In other words, if I studied the manual every day, how long before I could comfortably take the test?

I know nothing about the IAHSS exams but have used a general rule for other testing. Depending on the season because realistically, summer needs to be enjoyed more fully, I try 2 - 3 days per chapter.

Also keep in mind concepts as well as facts, 100 questions can not cover every little thing from the guides.
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Cincy View Post
      what is the recommended study time for the certified healthcare security officer test given by IAHSS?

In other words, if I studied the manual every day, how long before I could comfortably take the test?
      Aren't you taking the test through your supervisor/employer? They can probably tell you best what you should plan on timewise. I've heard it's around 40 hours, though, if you're taking both the Basic and the Safety tests.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I personally took about 6 months of studying but I didn't study everyday. If you do it everyday you can be ready sooner than that. Another factor is how much time you have working in a healthcare facility. If you're new, it may take longer, if you've been doing it for a while then not so much because alot of it is everyday stuff that you use on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Cincy View Post

I've never even heard of this. Very interesting.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
            I've never even heard of this. Very interesting.
            http://iahss.org/cert_welcome.asp

Here ya go.

Some hospitals are requiring their officers to get the basic and supervisors to get the advanced and supervisory.

Comment

I just took the CPO test last week after having the book for about 5 months. I didn't come close to studying every day but I got lucky when I took the test because I had a lot of medical, fire, explosives, and traffic management questions. I'm a first responder, state certified firefighter, have attended lectures from one of the local bomb squads, and I was a police reserve here in MN for 7 years and we did a lot of traffic work for parades, accidents, and highway construction zones. We have learned that if your security experience is limited, such as only having worked in corrections, the test is a lot harder. Another thing is don't read too much into test questions, your first reaction to the question is probably correct. We don't take the IAHSS testing at our hospital, but CPO is required for officers, CPI is required for investigators, and CPP is required for supervisors. Anyway, good luck with your studying!
              Last edited by sgtnewby; 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM.
              Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Chso/cpo

My experience has always been in retail security, however, I want to move over to hospital security. I have a BS in Criminal Justice and thought about taking the CHSO first, then the CPO test. I was wanting to do this to look more attractive during the application process. Should I not do this in advance or wait to get hired first, then study for it?

Comment

My understanding has always been that an IAHSS member has to administer the CHSO exam, so it's typically going to be given to people who are already employed on a hospital security staff. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong or if this has changed.

If my thinking is correct, you'd need to find a hospital security manager (and one who's a member of IAHSS, of course) who would be willing to administer the test to someone who is not on their staff. I could see that some might do this if they anticipate openings. Perhaps someone at IAHSS can advise you.

You can certainly take the CPO exam on your own hook, though (w/o being employed as an SO).
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-22-2007, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                    I just took the CPO test last week after having the book for about 5 months. I didn't come close to studying every day but I got lucky when I took the test because I had a lot of medical, fire, explosives, and traffic management questions. I'm a first responder, state certified firefighter, have attended lectures from one of the local bomb squads, and I was a police reserve here in MN for 7 years and we did a lot of traffic work for parades, accidents, and highway construction zones. We have learned that if your security experience is limited, such as only having worked in corrections, the test is a lot harder. Another thing is don't read too much into test questions, your first reaction to the question is probably correct. We don't take the IAHSS testing at our hospital, but CPO is required for officers, CPI is required for investigators, and CPP is required for supervisors. Anyway, good luck with your studying!
                    Interesting. Seems odd to me that any hospital would deliberately bypass IAHSS certification (which requires that all SO's be CHSOs, I think). I have the materials for all the CHSO exams - Basic, Safety and Supervisor - and the CPO/CSS materials, and the CHSO does seem much more appropriate for the challenges that hospitals face than the CPO would be.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                      Interesting. Seems odd to me that any hospital would deliberately bypass IAHSS certification (which requires that all SO's be CHSOs, I think). I have the materials for all the CHSO exams - Basic, Safety and Supervisor - and the CPO/CSS materials, and the CHSO does seem much more appropriate for the challenges that hospitals face than the CPO would be.
                      Is the CPO program still around? I have never met anyone who has participated in it. I have seen the CHSO program study guide and it is very detailed. It is used by a few hospitals in my area.

Comment

My understanding has always been that an IAHSS member has to administer the CHSO exam, so it's typically going to be given to people who are already employed on a hospital security staff. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong or if this has changed.

If my thinking is correct, you'd need to find a hospital security manager (and one who's a member of IAHSS, of course) who would be willing to administer the test to someone who is not on their staff. I could see that some might do this if they anticipate openings. Perhaps someone at IAHSS can advise you.

You can certainly take the CPO exam on your own hook, though (w/o being employed as an SO).
                        You may now take it online. If you want to take a paper exam it has to be a IAHSS approved moderator. The closest one to my area I believe is Tallahassee which is a few hours away. I took mine online.

Comment

Originally posted by Investigation View Post
                          Is the CPO program still around? I have never met anyone who has participated in it. I have seen the CHSO program study guide and it is very detailed. It is used by a few hospitals in my area.
                          CPO is still around. I got my certification back in 2002, however, they have done some updates since then. They now require continuing education and the CPO manual has been revised.

Comment

We have one supervisor that is an IAHSS member, but it was his idea for all of us to get the CPO, CPI, and CPP (depending on the position). I would have to agree that it doesn't have much to do with the hospital environment. Hospital security is a very differant animal from everything I have ever worked before.
                            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                              We have one supervisor that is an IAHSS member, but it was his idea for all of us to get the CPO, CPI, and CPP (depending on the position). I would have to agree that it doesn't have much to do with the hospital environment. Hospital security is a very differant animal from everything I have ever worked before.
                              True - hospitals are unique security venues, as I've mentioned before. They also have a whole bunch of safety and legal requirements that affect the security operation. I'd want people to have the formal training in those areas that the CPO does not cover.

And, the CPP seems like a pretty stiff requirement for supervisors, since it requires a bachelor's degree plus other experience. Usually, CPP is a requirement for security program managers. If he's going with the CPO for officers, why not go with the CSS (Certified Security Supervisor) cert from the IFPO for supervisors?

The only reasoning I can think of (and it really isn't fair for me to say this) is that other hospitals in your area would be much more interested in hiring officers away from your organization if you guys had the CHSS cert and might not give much credence at all to the CPO (in the hospital setting, I mean, not because CPO is necessarily a bad cert itself).

Vurry puzzling indeed....

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X