• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user999
    replied
    Work on the ship

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    The turnover was through the roof and Akal called him constantly begging him to come back after he left.
    Let me address few things from your message. About 7 days work in a week is true. You pretty much work 7 to 7 every day, including weekends. not only that .04 is true, but as security officer - you would be breathalyzing any possible suspect, which is in average 2 per week. It is not a big deal to get drunk, nobody would bother you, but if in addition to get drunk you cause some incident - that is another thing.

You end up bunking with a few other guys in a small room, you have no privacy and no social life.
    Not so. You have cabin for one person and a view of the ocean through your window. Thera are something like 3% of total cabins with a view like that. The rest are looking at the stainless steel bulkheads.

The living conditions are also poor.
    Hm. It is a ship, what do you expect? One day in Mexico, other in Bahamas ... You have your time off like everybody else. Your room gets cleaned by staff, your meals are free of charge, you sit all day in office shoting some low level importance e-mail, your security team does all the work. Two stripes uniform gives you authority and respect, the ship is full of nice young girls who look at you like as you are the captain himself ...

And if you have stepped on any toes in your role as a security officer, you can only imagine how welcoming the rest of the crew is to the security staff.
    Who cares? So the majority of the crew does not like you ... It is the same everywhere, nobody likes to be told what and when to do, and ship's environment is like that - a lot of rules.
    Last edited by user999; 06-24-2007, 12:56 PM. Reason: add photo

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Awhile back, a few boats tried to ram and detonate ship-borne IEDs on an Israeli cruise ship. Between active denial devices (They hit them with some sound cannon thing) and "evasive maneuvers" (Its a cruise ship, not a speed boat, how is it going to evade anything?!) the enemy was denied access to the boat.

I think the Captain just ran them over.

Leave a comment:

• user999
    replied
    Security personell armed?

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
    So I don't know, but I'm sure there is "more than meets the eye" when you get right down to it....
    Take it from me, cruise lines are secured from thugs and thieves, but when it comes to high-tech terrorist attack possibility, it is amazing to me that nobody has tried to make some IED type damage to the cruise ship so far.
    I believe that cruise line industry would be in ruins. Nobody would set to sail anymore, economy would suffer as strong or stronger than after 9/11.
    Or maybe it is just my imagination? I mean, after being arround cruise ships for a long time, I can see all imaginable aspects of inflicting damage to a cruise ship. Perhaps the terrorists are not so clever these days, and they go for "strap with explosive and pull the trigger" type od attack only?

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    A guy I know who is a retired cop did this for a few weeks for a cruise line and could not stand it. The deal was that you spent 4 months out at sea and two months at home. You got paid the entire time. The trick is that you work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. So, all they are really paying you for in the two months you are at home is some of the money you would have earned in OT at most other jobs.

The living conditions are also poor. You end up bunking with a few other guys in a small room, you have no privacy and no social life. It isn't as though you get to hob nob with the paying customers off the clock. You have to go back to the cramped crew areas after your shift is over. And if you have stepped on any toes in your role as a security officer, you can only imagine how welcoming the rest of the crew is to the security staff.

I guess this particular cruise line doesn't like their staff boozing it up. He said their was a two drink maximum at the crew bar and that management could PBT you at any time and if you were above .04, they could fire you.

The turnover was through the roof and Akal called him constantly begging him to come back after he left.

Not the kind of work for me at all.

Leave a comment:

• SgtUSMC8541
    replied
    Well, if they ever decise to bump up the pay and add some firepower, aka M82A3, I know a few guys that will do it.

Leave a comment:

• user999
    replied
    Cruise Line Security Types

Maybe not the gig for younger folk, but it seemed to me most of the professional crew member types I saw seemed to be around 40ish.

Pretty much so. In the Fleet I work for, you will not find Security Officer bellow his 40-ies. US national on that position? Haven't seen one ever. Canada, England, East Europe ex-war veteran types is al there is.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    This what you lookin for?

In our 2nd year of marriage, my wife and I took the 2 day "cruise to no where" and loved it. We're always talking about what we're going to do in 10 years when the last of our kids are grown, and right now "buy an RV, see North America and become neo-gypsys" is in the lead, but working on a cruise line (me in security, her as a ship board nurse) is high on the list too. One of the security guys I met was a former OU Campus Police Officer and he said he loved it (seemed like an alright guy, even for an okkie ). Just seems like it could be a cool job...
    Yes - Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
    Dang, they don't pay very well...
    Yea, but you gotta think about the perks. Free room and board during the cruise saves you lots and lots of money. The guy I spoke to on that cruise mentioned getting free minor medical care via the Ship's infirmary, and so on.

Maybe not the gig for younger folk, but it seemed to me most of the professional crew member types I saw seemed to be around 40ish.

The guy told me there were lots of ex- and retired navy and coast guard people working that kind of thing. Which is why my wife and I are considering such a thing after our kids are grown, we'll have fewer expenses then.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied

Dang, they don't pay very well...

Leave a comment:

• OccamsRazor
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    I understand that this is fairly common in the commercial maritime industry.
    Per him, it was strictly verboten to have any kind of weapon, even a pocketknife, with his last company. The new one sorta encourages it, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
    One of my good friends is an officer on a commercial vessel (read: container ship) that makes a regular run from LA-SF-Seattle-Yokahama-Singapore-Hong Kong-?? then reverse. He's told me they've had a few real problems with real 'pirates' in the Indonesia area in the past, and they have an 'arms locker' aboard. They practice when out at sea.
    I understand that this is fairly common in the commercial maritime industry.

Leave a comment:

• OccamsRazor
    Guest replied
    One of my good friends is an officer on a commercial vessel (read: container ship) that makes a regular run from LA-SF-Seattle-Yokahama-Singapore-Hong Kong-?? then reverse. He's told me they've had a few real problems with real 'pirates' in the Indonesia area in the past, and they have an 'arms locker' aboard. They practice when out at sea.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by SEO_09 View Post
    The first thing that you must know about all merchant vessals that sail in the open oceans is that any armed personnel or built on armerments makes the ship a combatant ship. The last ships that were allowed to be armed in the merchant fleet, which is all privately owned merchant ships, were the liberty ship and that made them fair game for attack.
    I'd be interested in a reference to this assertion as I couldn't find one.

What I did find was that the definition of "combatant" versus "non-combatant" ships has been a source of considerable debate in maritime law since long before Germany began to sink merchant ships in WW I and said they were "combatants".

Now, it seems that at least the working definition of a "combatant vessel" is one that is armed for naval combat or engaged in supporting or supplying such vessels, troop carriers, etc. Some definitions seem to go further by requiring that the vessel be formally commissioned by or operating under the authority of the naval or other armed forces of a particular nation.

I couldn't find anything to indicate that the mere presence of armed security personnel aboard a pleasure cruise ship would qualify that ship to be legitimately considered "combatant". It's hard to imagine an international maritime court upholding the sinking of such a cruise ship on that basis, for instance. In fact, I doubt there are many ships afloat today on which you won't find a pistol or other firearm in the captain's cabin, the first mate's locker or somewhere on board, so this definition seems quite bizarre.

This is not to say, of course, that a rogue nation such as Iran might not formulate its own definition of "combatant vessel" to suit its own aggressive purposes, as Germany did, but that's a different geopolitical kettle of fish.

Anyway, the law is a strange animal and I might just be looking in the wrong places, so if anyone has references to maritime or admiralty law, the Federal Code, treaties, case law etc. addressing this topic I'd be much obliged.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-24-2007, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    This what you lookin for?

In our 2nd year of marriage, my wife and I took the 2 day "cruise to no where" and loved it. We're always talking about what we're going to do in 10 years when the last of our kids are grown, and right now "buy an RV, see North America and become neo-gypsys" is in the lead, but working on a cruise line (me in security, her as a ship board nurse) is high on the list too. One of the security guys I met was a former OU Campus Police Officer and he said he loved it (seemed like an alright guy, even for an okkie ). Just seems like it could be a cool job...
    Last edited by Black Caesar; 05-24-2007, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    There is a thread on pirates somewhere in the archives here if anyone is interested in reading some additional comments on this problem. I don't know how to post a link or I would post it from my thread history.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X