Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
    This what you lookin for?

In our 2nd year of marriage, my wife and I took the 2 day "cruise to no where" and loved it. We're always talking about what we're going to do in 10 years when the last of our kids are grown, and right now "buy an RV, see North America and become neo-gypsys" is in the lead, but working on a cruise line (me in security, her as a ship board nurse) is high on the list too. One of the security guys I met was a former OU Campus Police Officer and he said he loved it (seemed like an alright guy, even for an okkie ). Just seems like it could be a cool job...
    Yes - Thanks
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Cruise Line Security Types

Maybe not the gig for younger folk, but it seemed to me most of the professional crew member types I saw seemed to be around 40ish.

Pretty much so. In the Fleet I work for, you will not find Security Officer bellow his 40-ies. US national on that position? Haven't seen one ever. Canada, England, East Europe ex-war veteran types is al there is.
      Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Well, if they ever decise to bump up the pay and add some firepower, aka M82A3, I know a few guys that will do it.
        www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

A guy I know who is a retired cop did this for a few weeks for a cruise line and could not stand it. The deal was that you spent 4 months out at sea and two months at home. You got paid the entire time. The trick is that you work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. So, all they are really paying you for in the two months you are at home is some of the money you would have earned in OT at most other jobs.

The living conditions are also poor. You end up bunking with a few other guys in a small room, you have no privacy and no social life. It isn't as though you get to hob nob with the paying customers off the clock. You have to go back to the cramped crew areas after your shift is over. And if you have stepped on any toes in your role as a security officer, you can only imagine how welcoming the rest of the crew is to the security staff.

I guess this particular cruise line doesn't like their staff boozing it up. He said their was a two drink maximum at the crew bar and that management could PBT you at any time and if you were above .04, they could fire you.

The turnover was through the roof and Akal called him constantly begging him to come back after he left.

Not the kind of work for me at all.

Comment

Security personell armed?

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
            So I don't know, but I'm sure there is "more than meets the eye" when you get right down to it....
            Take it from me, cruise lines are secured from thugs and thieves, but when it comes to high-tech terrorist attack possibility, it is amazing to me that nobody has tried to make some IED type damage to the cruise ship so far.
            I believe that cruise line industry would be in ruins. Nobody would set to sail anymore, economy would suffer as strong or stronger than after 9/11.
            Or maybe it is just my imagination? I mean, after being arround cruise ships for a long time, I can see all imaginable aspects of inflicting damage to a cruise ship. Perhaps the terrorists are not so clever these days, and they go for "strap with explosive and pull the trigger" type od attack only?

Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Awhile back, a few boats tried to ram and detonate ship-borne IEDs on an Israeli cruise ship. Between active denial devices (They hit them with some sound cannon thing) and "evasive maneuvers" (Its a cruise ship, not a speed boat, how is it going to evade anything?!) the enemy was denied access to the boat.

I think the Captain just ran them over.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Work on the ship

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                The turnover was through the roof and Akal called him constantly begging him to come back after he left.
                Let me address few things from your message. About 7 days work in a week is true. You pretty much work 7 to 7 every day, including weekends. not only that .04 is true, but as security officer - you would be breathalyzing any possible suspect, which is in average 2 per week. It is not a big deal to get drunk, nobody would bother you, but if in addition to get drunk you cause some incident - that is another thing.

You end up bunking with a few other guys in a small room, you have no privacy and no social life.
                Not so. You have cabin for one person and a view of the ocean through your window. Thera are something like 3% of total cabins with a view like that. The rest are looking at the stainless steel bulkheads.

The living conditions are also poor.
                Hm. It is a ship, what do you expect? One day in Mexico, other in Bahamas ... You have your time off like everybody else. Your room gets cleaned by staff, your meals are free of charge, you sit all day in office shoting some low level importance e-mail, your security team does all the work. Two stripes uniform gives you authority and respect, the ship is full of nice young girls who look at you like as you are the captain himself ...

And if you have stepped on any toes in your role as a security officer, you can only imagine how welcoming the rest of the crew is to the security staff.
                Who cares? So the majority of the crew does not like you ... It is the same everywhere, nobody likes to be told what and when to do, and ship's environment is like that - a lot of rules.
                Last edited by user999; 06-24-2007, 12:56 PM. Reason: add photo
                Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X