Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominos won't deliver to my site anymore

And it's all my fault.
    I work as a contract EMT/Security Officer at a Louth Louisiana steel mill. Pretty big place. At night, when the administrative office are closed, the switchboard is transfered to the guard shack. We get all the good phone calls.
    The loacl Dominos Pizza has a policy. It won't deliver to an address if an order is placed via cellphone. They have to have a landline. With seven different departments scattered about the site and more than a hundred employees at any moment we are bound to have a few who want to order dinner.
    The problem is, anytime you pick up a phone in any department and dial 9 to get an outside line you are going through the main computerized company switchboard. The minimum wage pizza employees get the call at their business and look at the caller ID which displays the 7 digit number to the main plant switchboard. They enter the number into their computer and the name of the last person who called in an order from that number is put on the order. About half the time they ask the caller for his name and change that bit of info. They don't ask for a extension number or which department the person is working in.
    One of 2 things happens.
    1-I'm sitting up at the main gate in the guard shack picking my nose and minding my own business when a Dominos Pizza delivery person drives up, parks in a no parking area such as in front of the truck scales. They get out and walk up with the order to my window, put the pizzas on the ledge there and say something like "That'll be twenty-two dollars". When I tell them I don't have 22 dollars and I didn't make an order with them I'm argued with "It says Guard Shack". Tough but nobody in the guard shack placed an order. Sometimes there will be a name. "The name is Christina". Turns out Christena was the guard who worked the night before and made an order when she worked. When someone called in an order from our plant the next evening the order taker just put her name on the label again based on the caller ID number. Or the delivery person says, "The order is for John." John who? What department. There are almost 200 people including contract workers in the plant and I don't know who John is or what department he's in. At this point the driver takes the pizza back to the car, waits about 15 minutes then drives off in a huff. About 10 minutes after the delivery guy leaves a plant employee on a forklift drives up to the guard shack. It's John wondering where the Dominos guy is.
    or
    2-Dominos driver calls the switchboard number, my phone on the desk rings, I answer "Switchboard." them-"This is Dominos and we have an order for Bob." Me-"Bob who?" Them-"It just says Bob." Me again-"Tell me what Department Bob is in and I'll be happy to transfer your call to that extension." them-"I don't have an extension." Me-"Ok have a good night." Them-"can you call around for Bob? I can't drive out until we get ahold of him." Me-"Sorry but I have trucks on 2 scales to deal with and my other phone line is ringing. Have a good night." I hang up.
    Last time I hung up with a delivery person his manager called back. Manager- "How come you can't call around and find the guy who ordered this pizza so we can deliver it?" Me-"sorry sir but I'm too busy to stop what I'm doing to correct a mistake your ordertaker made by not getting the correct information from the caller." Manager- "well you are just a little Smart Ass." I hang up and go back to dealing with paperwork for truck drivers coming into the plant.
    Other plant employees trying to call in pizza orders were told that their orders weren't going to be delivered until the person who made the first order was found. So an employee calls me over my security radio channel. "Hey, how come you won't find that guy so the rest of us can get pizza?" Me- "Not my job before and after being cursed at by their manager I'm banning all of their drivers from the property. Anyone getting something delivered will have to walk across the highway." The manager hears this from the employees radio and gets madder, tells the employee to transfer the call to my guard shack extension. I answer the phone, hear the manager yelling about no pizzas being delivered until I apoligise and I hang up again without saying a word.
    The next morning I have a written Incident Report for my Supervisor explaining what happened and why, in the future, plant employees should call Papa Johns for delivery.
    Later I learned that on other shifts, guards like Christina, will perform value added services like call around to each department or call over each of the 9 radio channels the plant uses until finding the person who made the pizza order. I have plenty enough going on in the beginning of my shift to be doing extras like searching for someone who can't give the pizza guy the correct information.
    Since this happened I've had Papa John's pizza guys pull up several times. Never had a problem with them trying to find anyone and never got a call from them.. Seems they don't mind taking orders from cell phones and getting teh name and number of the person making the order.
    Life is good in a Dominos free zone.
    Hospital Security Officer

In honor of this thread, I have just ordered 3 medium pizzas from Dominos

When I worked at a warehouse as a Lobby Officer we would usually get a call from the person who ordered the food to advise us they are coming. For those who didn't we would allow the pizza person to stand in the lobby as long as they needed, which they would usually bail after 10-15 minutes if the employee didn't show up.

We did have some problems with the pizza places not getting the correct name. Certain departments had lunch at different times so I would look like an ass when the pizza person made it to the desk before the employee and they say "This is for Tom" so I call back to find out Tom's lunch ended 20 minutes ago.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Your #2 example reninds me of what happens in my 488 room hotel. We get people calling for "John". They don't want to understand that guests are registered by last names, not first names!
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
        Your #2 example reninds me of what happens in my 488 room hotel. We get people calling for "John". They don't want to understand that guests are registered by last names, not first names!
        I would just transfer them to a random John in the hotel. Maybe they will get the picture
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Maybe you are just an asshole!! Would it really be that hard to help people? You are only a security guard, get over your god complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Realsecurity View Post
            Maybe you are just an asshole!! Would it really be that hard to help people? You are only a security guard, get over your god complex.
            No, the pizza place should have taken the time to get the exact info and this wouldnt happen. If previous orders have been placed, the pizza place outta know better.
            "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Stop by the Domino's store that would deliver to your area on a day off. Explain the problem to the Manager and ask for a direct number.

Otherwise, I would try "Ineedanewjobwithaphonesystemthatworks.com"
              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

A God complex? Oh please... Because he decides to take the time to do his job instead of Dominos, that gives him a God complex? I wonder if I asked the Pizza Delivery driver to check Security Points A, B, C, and D and punch in on the log system while he's inside, if he would be obliged to, or if he would see it as my job and not his.
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Now we know who ordered the pizza.

Comment

Helping in a potential life or death, medical emergency, or similar situation? Yes...

A 200 plus employee complex, and its supposed to fall on the Officer's shoulders to determine exactly which "Bob" in the facility placed the food order? Methinks not...

Oh, and it's a Capital "G" in God please...
                    Last edited by flashlightcop509; 05-21-2007, 08:36 AM.
                    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Maybe you are just an asshole!!
                      Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black...
                      "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ignore Realsecurity. All he has ever done since joining SIW is lurk and troll. For all we know, he is just some anti-social goon in... Rochester, MN... I think. So let's not give him any sort of pleasure by responding to his negativity any further. Clearly, playing the role of internet tough guy is the only excitement he is able to get.
                        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

The user RealSecurity has been issued a warning for insulting other users and inappropriate language. Continued violations may result in suspension of account access, or termination of account access.

With the upgrade, Moderators and Administrators are able to issue automated warnings and infractions. We are using this system to issue them. It will be interesting to see what the system does when someone racks up 3 or more infractions in 10 days. My bet is that it bans them, or suspends them for a week.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Sounds like your coworker left you in a bad situation. Maybe I missed it but I'm curious about your supervisor's direction on this "value-added" service. Based on your workload, it doesn't sound like it fits well into that site's duties. Moreover, if an incident occurs while calling around for a pizza, what would the client say? For that matter, what would your security company's position be? It seems like a liability to me.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I guess Mr. RealSecurity has me pegged. "Me Security-YOU Pizza." If you can't take care of your own dietary needs, perhaps you should bring Mommy to work with you. This also fits in the "ain't in the job description" catagory.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X