Some observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some observations

From both lurking and reading posts and posting here I have seen that there are quite a few security personnel that want "more" More authority, more respect, more pay, and more equipment.

I think this is where the "wanna-be" stigma comes into play. Very few of us are content with being warm bodies that merely observe and report even though the majority of security personnel are tasked with just that.

It has taken me awhile to adjust to the observe and report role since it isn't really in my nature. But, once I came to the realization that you can't give people the security that you want to give them, you have to give them the security that the company culture and higher ups want I became much more content in my job.

In past jobs I have been so frustrated that I really felt I couldn't do anything to provide "real" security to those at the site I was assigned. Learning to accept that they don't want real security makes things go so much smoother.

The advice that I have for people is either learn to embrace your role as an observe and report officer or get into another Company, site, or line of work. If you aren't equipped and expected to respond to certain incidents, don't respond to them! Don't take on the liability of carrying items that your Company hasn't authorized since you are setting yourself up for the fall if you ever use it.

Originally posted by CorpSec
    From both lurking and reading posts and posting here I have seen that there are quite a few security personnel that want "more" More authority, more respect, more pay, and more equipment.

I think this is where the "wanna-be" stigma comes into play. Very few of us are content with being warm bodies that merely observe and report even though the majority of security personnel are tasked with just that.

It has taken me awhile to adjust to the observe and report role since it isn't really in my nature. But, once I came to the realization that you can't give people the security that you want to give them, you have to give them the security that the company culture and higher ups want I became much more content in my job.

In past jobs I have been so frustrated that I really felt I couldn't do anything to provide "real" security to those at the site I was assigned. Learning to accept that they don't want real security makes things go so much smoother.

The advice that I have for people is either learn to embrace your role as an observe and report officer or get into another Company, site, or line of work. If you aren't equipped and expected to respond to certain incidents, don't respond to them! Don't take on the liability of carrying items that your Company hasn't authorized since you are setting yourself up for the fall if you ever use it.
    I couldn't agree more.....
    K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

I am not going to rehash arguments from other debates... I will say, however, that some of us do not have the luxury of being just a warm body.

In any event, for myself, I have no desire to be a mere warm body...its' not an ego thing but it is a work ethic thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherstjo
        I am not going to rehash arguments from other debates... I will say, however, that some of us do not have the luxury of being just a warm body.

In any event, for myself, I have no desire to be a mere warm body...its' not an ego thing but it is a work ethic thing.
        Your work ethic should be to give those that are paying your wage what they want, not what you want to give them. Anything else is opening yourself up to a whole lot of heartache.

Do yourself a favor and get a job at a Company or site that shares your views. They are out there.

Comment

Your work ethic should be to give those that are paying your wage what they want, not what you want to give them. Anything else is opening yourself up to a whole lot of heartache.

Do yourself a favor and get a job at a Company or site that shares your views. They are out there.
          You assume that every s/o works for clients / employers, or under laws that require them to only be a warm body... that's the neat thing about our industry, it is diverse.

Comment

You assume that every s/o works for clients / employers, or under laws that require them to only be a warm body... that's the neat thing about our industry, it is diverse.
            You are wrong in that statement. I said to find an employer or client that shares your views. That means that for every view on security, there is a company or client for you. My advice was to either adapt to the expectations of your employer or to move on to one that is a better fit. In no way, shape, or form did I say that all security work was warm body work.

Comment

You are the one assuming and trying to put words in his mouth. He is basically saying that if you work for a company that is observe and report, then do that. If you want to do more, then find a company that is more than O&R. I feel that CorpSec is responding to discussions in other threads about O&R security officers doing more than they are tasked to do. Anyways, CorpSec... I agree with you 100%.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
                You are the one assuming and trying to put words in his mouth. He is basically saying that if you work for a company that is observe and report, then do that. If you want to do more, then find a company that is more than O&R. I feel that CorpSec is responding to discussions in other threads about O&R security officers doing more than they are tasked to do. Anyways, CorpSec... I agree with you 100%.
                Thanks! You obviously enjoy doing armed security at sites that aren't exactly filled with Harvard grads so you went with an armed company that has the type of work that interests you. That is exactly what I would hope everyone that want to work in that facet of security does.

While I also agree with people that armed security can provide a level of security that cannot be approached by O&R officers, people need to give their employer what they want and not start playing cowboy or carrying unauthorized toys.

Comment

I am stuck in my security position where I dont get any equipment or weapons because there are no security companies around that can give me what I want.

I have been trying to find a security position where we can arm up with not only handguns but long rifles, and we do patrols around the site in an Indy Car while protecting the property from not only international terrorists and spies, but aliens and attack robots as well. Hopefully someday I'll find what Im looking for
                  "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                  "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Thanks! You obviously enjoy doing armed security at sites that aren't exactly filled with Harvard grads so you went with an armed company that has the type of work that interests you. That is exactly what I would hope everyone that want to work in that facet of security does.

While I also agree with people that armed security can provide a level of security that cannot be approached by O&R officers, people need to give their employer what they want and not start playing cowboy or carrying unauthorized toys.
                    I enjoy what I do... actually, some days I don't, but that's with any job. You are right, armed security is in the rougher parts of town. In fact, right now I am sitting in my car in south minneapolis (which had another murder a few hours ago). You wont find many corporate clients that want or require armed security (we have some, but not many).

Even though I work for an armed company that is anything but O&R, I still understand and accept the fact that O&R security has it's place in the industry. For example, a nursing home in the suburbs may require security, but they are focused more on access control and preventative duties. Some office complexes may have security with similar duties, but with additional duties like medical response and/or data security.

I have nothing but respect for anyone in the security industry, whether you are O&R or not. As long as you take your job seriously, and do what is expected of you, then you are a professional in my book.
                    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                      I have been trying to find a security position where we can arm up with not only handguns but long rifles, and we do patrols around the site in an Indy Car while protecting the property from not only international terrorists and spies, but aliens and attack robots as well. Hopefully someday I'll find what Im looking for
                      You know about the attack robots as well?

No wonder you work where you do.

Comment

More authority
                        No thanks.

more respect
                        I could care less.

more pay
                        Duh.

more equipment
                        No thanks.

I want a site guarding an abandoned missle silo in the middle of nowhere for 12 hours a day, 4 days a week, for the same pay I get now (or more).

I won't add a smiley.

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                          I am stuck in my security position where I dont get any equipment or weapons because there are no security companies around that can give me what I want.

DUDE! Man, hooking up drunks or harassing hookers can be fun and all, but lemme know when the robots and aliens attack because I've so got your 6 on that! Now that's action!
                          ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
                            You know about the attack robots as well?

No wonder you work where you do.
                            You mock me now, but you just wait until the T1000 shows up to terminate you and we'll see who's laughing then.

"Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

You are wrong in that statement. I said to find an employer or client that shares your views. That means that for every view on security, there is a company or client for you. My advice was to either adapt to the expectations of your employer or to move on to one that is a better fit. In no way, shape, or form did I say that all security work was warm body work.
                              I stand corrected....

I was recently speaking with my employer about the subject of "what the client wants" and the diferences between how various employer's react. My employer takes the position that if a client says they want a particular s/o assigned, he says no and surprising he has not lost any contracts when he says no.... Other employer's would do differently. The point being is that while the client may be the client, they are not the security expert and merely because they want something does not mean they are going to get it. In this respect, I suppose I am lucky in having an employer that actually thinks about "liability" rather than just passing the buck to their employee
                              Last edited by Christopherstjo; 05-12-2007, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X