Law Enforcement via security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
    As an Explorer we did tons of stuff, I drove marked units all the time under the city's insurance policy. We had a park patrol detail where we patrolled our city's 25 parks looking for criminal activity and trespasses between 7pm and 3am, we would contact people, fill out information on them then turn it in at the end of the night. If we had to, we had an officer come out and make an arrest.

Never once had any run-ins with LFL, from what I got, LFL policies dictate for BSA insurance policies and any post may form their own policies, but if they go against what LFL says, they are not covered under the Insurance provided in their Post Charter.
    You're missing the point... the LFL policies are not just for insurance purposes. The policies must be followed to also maintain affiliation. Besides, I wasn't directing my post at you. The pictures you posted may be enough to comply with LFL policies (the vehicle has "explorer" markings and has an amber lightbar).

The fact is, LFL requires that ALL policies be followed... not a "pick and choose". Some police departments don't agree with all of the LFL policies, so they create their own spinoff "cadet" programs.

I was an Explorer for 7 years, and I fully agree with the policy that explorers should not drive marked police vehicles.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
      If this was 12 years ago, then that makes sense. LFL is not the same now as it used to be. This policy went into effect during my time as a Police Explorer in the late 90s.
      Yup, I was an exploder (a name a LT use to call us as a joke), from '03 - '98. No clue if they are still driving.
      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Minnesota's an oddball...

Minnesota police reserve units are very differant as compaired to other states reserve programs. Here in MN, reserves are basically volunteer Community Service Officers. They can not carry handguns, can not make arrests, and can not enforce criminal law. They can however, enforce non-criminal, and non-moving violations. Such as animal control, parking, and most city ordinances. Having reserve programs mirror other states I think would make too much sense for the powers that be here.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sgtnewby; 05-10-2007, 08:28 PM.
        Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

If you are caught violating LFL rules, they will take away your BSA affiliation. Which means that if you use the term "Explorer," your post gets sued for trademark infringement.

BSA owns the Explorers, and LFL runs them. Agencies that want "police service aids" or "security officers" instead of explorers usually use the term "Cadet," because they know LFL won't touch them.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Using security as a stepping stone to LE

Comment

In my old PD as Explorers we drove this...

Police cars look like this...

We didn't actually have a "ViPS" but we had "Senior Patrol" which were Senior Citizens 55 and older who did things like attend a booth at fairs, walk in parades, do vacation house checks, etc... They drive a police car that has the old stripes on it.

I've seen quite a few agencies with ViPS cars. I am relatively sure ViPS is a National Foundation.

As far as the Reserve Academy goes in Washington, it is a minimum of 220 hours of instruction, with most academies providing more.
              Seems like a bunch of wannabes to me. Why would you want to make yourself a target... without a weapon, pension, benefits, salary!!!!
              Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr619
                Seems like a bunch of wannabes to me. Why would you want to make yourself a target... without a weapon, pension, benefits, salary!!!!
                Oh please... Targets? Yeah, I can't count the number of times I was shot, stabbed, beaten up and harassed. And wtf do you mean by wannabes? Yeah, most explorers, want to be cops... um thats why it is "Law Enforcement Exploring" Not "Security Guard Exploring" "Chevron Gas Station Exploring" "Bus Driver Exploring" or anything else. God forbid they give them a car that allows them to Explore the experience of being a Law Enforcement Officer a bit.
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr619
                  So I guess I was a "wannabe" as a sworn member of the Sheriffs Office as an Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff since I paid for all my gear and got no pay.

As far as transportation we had as Explorers, we never had a cruiser. We always had an old ambulance to get more people from point A to B.
                  "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

I think it's funny, here you are on a message board based on a profession that is considered "wannabes" more than probably any other profession, no matter how much we try to dispell that image, yet you have the gall to go ahead and call another group of people wannabes.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Oh please... Targets? Yeah, I can't count the number of times I was shot, stabbed, beaten up and harassed. And wtf do you mean by wannabes? Yeah, most explorers, want to be cops... um thats why it is "Law Enforcement Exploring" Not "Security Guard Exploring" "Chevron Gas Station Exploring" "Bus Driver Exploring" or anything else. God forbid they give them a car that allows them to Explore the experience of being a Law Enforcement Officer a bit.
                      I know of countless explorer's that are now police officers. Those years have helped me out on the street tramendously.
                      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBoynMD
                        I know of countless explorer's that are now police officers. Those years have helped me out on the street tramendously.
                        As do I, as well as a lot of cops I know were Explorers at one point in time. My time as an Explorer has given me a lot of training that I was able to apply to the Security field that no security agency I've ever worked for has ever even thought might be a good idea to teach people.

A lot of Explorers I know go to become security guards when they turn 18 because it's like "almost getting to do the job." I always tell them two things...

1. Becoming a Security Guard can be a great step in your career if you use it wisely. It is a real opportunity to get some real world experience in making contacts with citizens, including those who are unruly and will not respect you. Remember your training and try to get a "groove" which you can carry over into your police career in a few years should you decide to go to the public sector.

2. Remember, you are not yet a police officer. It will be a cool experience getting a police style uniform, getting a belt that actually has some equipment on it, being the one who is in charge, having handcuffs that you can and may be expected to use, maybe even having your own patrol car. It's going to be a lot coming on you real fast, but you are still a security guard, not a police officer, nothing more, nothing less. It will still be YOUR JOB. You are still the one expected to protect that property and the people on it, but it is up to you to use sound judgement over what you can and cannot do while working.

Most security companies I've worked for have never taught about how to position your vehicle on contacts, how to stand, any form of DT, any type of radio communication courtesy, etc... I picked all that up from my Explorer Post. I can honestly say, if I had never been an Explorer I would not be as good of a Security Guard as I am today.
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

As do I, as well as a lot of cops I know were Explorers at one point in time. My time as an Explorer has given me a lot of training that I was able to apply to the Security field that no security agency I've ever worked for has ever even thought might be a good idea to teach people.

A lot of Explorers I know go to become security guards when they turn 18 because it's like "almost getting to do the job." I always tell them two things...

1. Becoming a Security Guard can be a great step in your career if you use it wisely. It is a real opportunity to get some real world experience in making contacts with citizens, including those who are unruly and will not respect you. Remember your training and try to get a "groove" which you can carry over into your police career in a few years should you decide to go to the public sector.

2. Remember, you are not yet a police officer. It will be a cool experience getting a police style uniform, getting a belt that actually has some equipment on it, being the one who is in charge, having handcuffs that you can and may be expected to use, maybe even having your own patrol car. It's going to be a lot coming on you real fast, but you are still a security guard, not a police officer, nothing more, nothing less. It will still be YOUR JOB. You are still the one expected to protect that property and the people on it, but it is up to you to use sound judgement over what you can and cannot do while working.

Most security companies I've worked for have never taught about how to position your vehicle on contacts, how to stand, any form of DT, any type of radio communication courtesy, etc... I picked all that up from my Explorer Post. I can honestly say, if I had never been an Explorer I would not be as good of a Security Guard as I am today.
                          Amen! I couldn't agree more. I can't stand warm body security companies.

Comment

Since we are talking about our days as police explorers, I thought it would be funny to post a picture.

At the time of the photo, I was the post lieutenant and we were helping out a small town that was dealing with spring flooding in central Minnesota. It's amazing, I had alot more hair then!

Also, I look a little ragged because I had been up for 3 days straight.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by davis002; 05-11-2007, 01:24 PM.
                            "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Right on Lawson, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Ya know, I tried to get a pic posted in it's full size but it says it's too big. Is there a trick to this?
                                Last edited by sgtnewby; 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X