Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't my company have cool toys like these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't my company have cool toys like these?

"Dean Sheridan, right, with the National Nuclear Security Administration, talks about gear and weapons designed to protect the high-security Y-12 nuclear weapons plant in Oak Ridge, Tenn., Tuesday, May 1, 2007. Wackenhut Services, the government's security contractor displayed upgraded equipment, which includes grenade launchers, machine guns and armored vehicles."
    ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Oak Ridge? They're most likely DOE Special Patrolman, commonly called DOE Nuclear Police. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing illegal (unless your state regulates what arms you can carry) with deploying M4s with 203 launchers and impact or gas rounds.

The thing is, its really, really, really expensive to do so without the tax exemption that Wackenhut and other government enjoys when protecting the government.

Here's the math:
    16 inch Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine with toys: $1500
    Bushmaster M203 40mm Grenade Launcher: $600 at last check?
    ATF Form 4 on the Grenade Launcher: $200
    One X-Act Impact Grenade: $8 per round
    ATF Form 4 on the Grenade (PER ROUND): $200

Since the Grenades are designed to be fired at people, they're destructive devices and need the tax stamp. Per round.

The Federal Government doesn't make these toys illegal, they know they can't do that. What they can do is tax the living hell out of each "bullet."

For just firing smoke and gas, a 37mm launcher is a "flare gun" and needs no more registration than the boat flare gun.

Sources: 37mm.com, Galls, ATF
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Can you imagine private security officers / guards using such "toys" within the general public sector? Hmmm... suddenly I have a flashback of Andy Griffith telling Barny to put his gun away....

Comment

Eh techincally they are private security. They are employed by Wackenhut Services. They get all the love.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
          Eh techincally they are private security. They are employed by Wackenhut Services. They get all the love.
          Yes, they are private security, but with some serious hiring standards and training requirements (i.e. they do not F around).

http://www.wsihq.com/careers_nevada.asp

Comment

You posted a link to the DOE Security Police Officers who are posted to Area 51. The normal requirements for nuclear security are the same as a CPO at regular Wackenhut.

DOE Security Police Officers are not private citizens, they are federal contract law enforcement officers (Special Federal Police) vested through the Department of Energy. Basically, they're contract cops.

Wackenhut guys at Nevada Test Site / Nellis Air Base / Area 51 routinely arrest trespassers as federal law enforcement officers. Most nuclear security forces require one of these DOE cops to be present to arrest, unless arresting as a private citizen.

Kinda the difference between MPs (who can't do jack to civilians unless sworn as civilian police officers, and frequently are) and DoD Security Guards / DoD Police Officers (who can arrest civilians as federal LEOs.)
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              You posted a link to the DOE Security Police Officers who are posted to Area 51. The normal requirements for nuclear security are the same as a CPO at regular Wackenhut.

DOE Security Police Officers are not private citizens, they are federal contract law enforcement officers (Special Federal Police) vested through the Department of Energy. Basically, they're contract cops.

Wackenhut guys at Nevada Test Site / Nellis Air Base / Area 51 routinely arrest trespassers as federal law enforcement officers. Most nuclear security forces require one of these DOE cops to be present to arrest, unless arresting as a private citizen.

Kinda the difference between MPs (who can't do jack to civilians unless sworn as civilian police officers, and frequently are) and DoD Security Guards / DoD Police Officers (who can arrest civilians as federal LEOs.)
              Right, some nuclear security offers are what you describe, but we're talking about the Wackenhut officers at Oak Ridge (see original post). They have DOE Law Enforcement authority (just like Hanford Patrol here in Washington State).

http://www.wackenhut-oakridge.com/employment.html
              Last edited by Investigation; 05-08-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X