Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenager slashed with razor at Mall of America

Girl is slashed with razor blade at MOA

"A 14-year-old girl from Bloomington was in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center on Saturday after being slashed in the stomach by another teenage girl at the Mall of America, police said.

Jim Ryan, a commander in charge of investigations for the Bloomington Police Department, said the girl was expected to survive the attack, which occurred about 2:30 p.m. in a commons area on the mall's third floor."
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

The Mall of America is probably one of the best places to gain security experience. They run a pretty tight ship. I am not sure that I would have ever wanted to work there, but it has been a good springboard into an LE career for countless people.

Their training is top shelf and covers everything. They tend to be more enforcement oriented than observe and report. I know some of the local cops don't really think too highly of them since there are always a lot of wanna-bes on staff. Their pay isn't all that great. They start under $15 an hour, sometimes as low as $12, and their work rules tend to be pretty strict.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec
      The Mall of America is probably one of the best places to gain security experience. They run a pretty tight ship. I am not sure that I would have ever wanted to work there, but it has been a good springboard into an LE career for countless people.

Their training is top shelf and covers everything. They tend to be more enforcement oriented than observe and report. I know some of the local cops don't really think too highly of them since there are always a lot of wanna-bes on staff. Their pay isn't all that great. They start under $15 an hour, sometimes as low as $12, and their work rules tend to be pretty strict.
      I have several friends who went that route. I agree that MOA Security is a pretty good outfit. They have a K9 unit, bike patrol unit, etc. They do in fact have a top-notch training program (from what i'm told). They start out at $12.50 p/hr, but the experience alone might make up for the pay.

If I had to work in mall security, I would likely choose the MOA.
      "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

My daughter was wanting to go to MOA with some friends, and I flat told her no. I won't get into any details, but suffice it to say, until they can crack down harder on those punks that think they can terrorize the place, she would never go there without me. Most of them need their head rammed into a wall!
        Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

It really isn't as bad as you think... don't take one isolated incident and assume that the mall is like that on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by From Article
            Ryan said there was a heavy police presence at the mall Saturday in anticipation of a big day of business. He said that in addition to the mall's security staff, there were four Bloomington police officers working inside and 11 more directing traffic outside.
            Wow. Any clue what was going on there that day? Their website didn't have any events listed.

Comment

They are always busy on weekends. That mall is a huge cash cow for Bloomington cops. Their OT is paid through their department so all of the mall overtime goes on their city check and applies to their pension.

The mall has a horrible reputation, earned or not. I agree with Davis that it is an isolated deal. However, I have two cops that work for me that don't regularly pack off duty. That being said, they have both told me that they always pack when going to the big mall. I have heard this from other cops as well.

Comment

MOA Security does look to be top notch. I have family around the area so I usually make a trip to MOA once in a while. I have never ever felt afraid or scared to go into the mall at all. After seeing the job they have to do, and how they react, I can only say they are about as professional as your going to get. I have even wanted to move to the area to work there as an officer on their staff.

I only have one question about their ops.
                Everytime Ive been to MOA they always have an officer on all the floors right outside the anchor stores exit/mall entrances. I've always wondered why?
                I have also seen contracted security standing outside main mall entrances/exits as well.

Comment

Deterrence factor, most likely. Remember, mall patrons want security to be visible. They want to know its present.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Last week I saw an updated DOD terrorists hit list. MOA was on it as a high priority.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I live about 15 minutes from the mall. They instituted a curfew several years ago for certain nights. They had to hire contract staff to augment their own officers to enforce the curfew at each and every entrance. The mall has 140 officers (I believe), but their staff was stretched out with the inside duties.

On the nights when the curfew is in effect (mainly weekends I believe), if you are under 16 you can't get in the mall without a parent or guardian.

It is a high risk target and they do see some action. However, the entertainment part of the complex with all the bars dried up a couple of years ago due to the smoking ban in Bloomington. That part of the mall would dump several hundred to a couple thousand young drunks into the mall and the parking ramps every night. Not anymore though.

It is run pretty military like if I have heard right. The officers must always wear their stupid hats and parade shoes. They don't let the officers go into stores in the assigned area to flirt with the cute girls either. You stay right out in the public eye where you can constantly be watched by supervision on the cameras.
                      Last edited by CorpSec; 05-09-2007, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec
                        I live about 15 minutes from the mall. They instituted a curfew several years ago for certain nights. They had to hire contract staff to augment their own officers to enforce the curfew at each and every entrance. The mall has 140 officers (I believe), but their staff was stretched out with the inside duties.

On the nights when the curfew is in effect (mainly weekends I believe), if you are under 16 you can't get in the mall without a parent or guardian.

It is a high risk target and they do see some action. However, the entertainment part of the complex with all the bars dried up a couple of years ago due to the smoking ban in Bloomington. That part of the mall would dump several hundred to a couple thousand young drunks into the mall and the parking ramps every night. Not anymore though.

It is run pretty military like if I have heard right. The officers must always wear their stupid hats and parade shoes. They don't let the officers go into stores in the assigned area to flirt with the cute girls either. You stay right out in the public eye where you can constantly be watched by supervision on the cameras.

The Mall I work at within the last month implemented a Parental Guidance Policy. The environment in the mall has totally done a 180 on the weekends, from being filled with Juves and Thugs, to being back to moms and dads with families. We've gotten sooo many compliments from the public for implementing the program.

We also dont allow our officers to go into stores unless requested to do so. When our officers are on patrol, we have to wear the campaign hats as well. I think thats a standard no no with all the Contract Security that does malls.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X