SO Conduct Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO Conduct Question

I ran into a situation the other day that really disturbed me. I witnessed a new Security Officer getting publicly berated by his training officer. The new SO was trying to deal with a domestic disturbance when his supervisor (who was off duty at the time) started to shout at him about a laundry room door that was not checked. The SO calmly asked his supervisor which laundry room he was refering to, at which the supervisor replied, " It doesn't [email protected]#$ing matter!" He then went on to publicly and with multiple expeletives, acuse the SO of having an affair with his ex-girlfriend who had just broken up with him. This, coupled with the arrival of another combative subject, elevated the situation from a simple call that should have lasted no more than 20 minutes, to a very tense situation that lasted more than an hour. Now I ask you, who showed more professionalism?
    Squat til you puke

Im thinking there may be more under the surface with this situation (between those 2 gentlemen) than meets the eye?
    Regardless, there is a time and a place for discipline and out in the view or ear shot of the public is not one.
    K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

Why is a security officer handling a domestic call from start to finish anyway? Obviously if the supervisor is off duty and comes into a situation yelling about some sort of an affair that is the height of unprofessionism.

If I was the other security officer, I would have left and called the police. A domestic disturbance with comabative subjects arriving and your off duty boss heckling you isn't a situation you should be staying in.

The guy might want to look for a better job. I would fire that supervisor on the spot. It is Keystone Cops bull like this that gives the whole profession a bad name.

Comment

He then went on to publicly and with multiple expeletives, acuse the SO of having an affair with his ex-girlfriend who had just broken up with him.

Do we need to expand on this any further?

Said supervisior { and this is a theory} caught said SO having whoopie
        with said supervisior's ex-girlfriend

Naughty Naughty
        http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec
          Why is a security officer handling a domestic call from start to finish anyway? Obviously if the supervisor is off duty and comes into a situation yelling about some sort of an affair that is the height of unprofessionism.

If I was the other security officer, I would have left and called the police. A domestic disturbance with comabative subjects arriving and your off duty boss heckling you isn't a situation you should be staying in.

The guy might want to look for a better job. I would fire that supervisor on the spot. It is Keystone Cops bull like this that gives the whole profession a bad name.
          We deal with domestics all the time. We tend to call them Baby's Momma/Daddy Drama. Most of the time we deal with it from start to finish. Start being when the nurses call us for the disturbance, finish being when we eject any parties needed. If it's a child in to be seen, (not a newborn's mother) this sometimes includes ejecting both mother and father.

And don't even get me started on the issues we see in the ER

Comment

Hmmm........

I don't know if I should comment on this or not, as I know both parties involved. I DO know the whole affair thing is BS.. He's just having a hard time accepting the break-up. I'll just say that someone needs to stop letting personal business affect job performance, and I'll leave it at that.
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

It's days like this, that the hardest thing about my job is insuring the pumps
              are working at the sewer treatment plant.
              http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

In my case, least thing would get a complaint about your conduct to the upper echelon staff. Worst case, you'd get my sap up along side your fat, thick head!!! If that security company thinks someone like that is management/training material, I think it's time to find another company to work for.

Only once did I ever make a scene in public with one of my charges is because he brought it on himself.

And domestics; something security shouldn't really get involved in any more than they have to, and that's just to either eject the problem from their account, or to insure no one gets hurt, until the LE arrives to take over.
                Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

Domestics, along with traffic stops, are one of the most dangerous things to deal with (in LE terms). And, having a supervisor acting out of line does not help. Dialing 911 would have been a good choice along with a well written letter to upper management that explains what occurred.

There is no place for a supervisor like this in the Security Industry. If I were managing this guy he would have been fired or bumped down in rank and sent to watch an abandoned oil well during 3 watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Security_Noob
                    I ran into a situation the other day that really disturbed me. I witnessed a new Security Officer getting publicly berated by his training officer. The new SO was trying to deal with a domestic disturbance when his supervisor (who was off duty at the time) started to shout at him about a laundry room door that was not checked. The SO calmly asked his supervisor which laundry room he was refering to, at which the supervisor replied, " It doesn't [email protected]#$ing matter!" He then went on to publicly and with multiple expeletives, acuse the SO of having an affair with his ex-girlfriend who had just broken up with him. This, coupled with the arrival of another combative subject, elevated the situation from a simple call that should have lasted no more than 20 minutes, to a very tense situation that lasted more than an hour. Now I ask you, who showed more professionalism?
                    First off, in my opinion, if the FTO was off duty, he had no business getting involved in the situation and the moment he started becoming verbally abusive is when he could be treated as any other verbally abusive subject. Supervisor or not, if he's not supposed to be there under any circumstances and he become out of control as the other subjects and refused reasonable commands to leave the property, then he's trespassing and is risking getting hooked up as well. Simple as that.

Secondly, when it comes to domestics, unless it what called out as a noise complaint or whatnot, I always did as the police do...call for assistance, wait for their arrival and then proceed.

My question in all this is not who showed more professionalism, but why, if you witnessed this incident, did you not step in?
                    Last edited by Taktiq; 05-05-2007, 04:16 PM.
                    ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

[QUOTE]
                      Originally posted by Investigation
                      Domestics, along with traffic stops, are one of the most dangerous things to deal with (in LE terms). And, having a supervisor acting out of line does not help. Dialing 911 would have been a good choice along with a well written letter to upper management that explains what occurred.
                      Absolutely! A domestic can turn ugly in a matter of a second. I don't see a problem with security officers handling domestics. That is only if it's to keep parties seperated till the police arrive. Questioning shouldn't occur, at all. That's the job of the police. However, this security supervisor obviously isn't supervisor material. Obviously whoever trained him didn't embed into his head that when you are OFF you are OFF.

There is no place for a supervisor like this in the Security Industry. If I were managing this guy he would have been fired or bumped down in rank and sent to watch an abandoned oil well during 3 watch.
                      I wouldn't even give him that responsibility. I'd assigned him to midnights watching a shed in the middle of the woods.
                      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Ok, lets see...

First, what you do in a domestic (is it domestic violence? A disturbance without battery? That makes a lot of difference in response by police, and should for security as well.) depends a lot on what kind of protection the client wants and expects.

If you are there to observe and report, you leave the area and call 911 and tell them that you cannot go back to the area to get more information because you cannot become involved. Period. That's what you're paid to do.

if you are there to intervene, or have a charge of enforcing laws on private property, then you should be doing what you're paid to do. Determine the situation, take enforcement action, contact the police if needed.

As far as this supervisor, the first thing I would of determined was why he was on a site off-duty to begin with. Most companies are smart and do not let hourly supervisory personnel work off-duty, as they can file a claim. After that, counseling would be required (as stated in a policy manual) for his violations of company policy. Which would be numerous.

This is a very good reason why companies should have Employee Assistance Plans in place, so that they can find an outlet for their personal problems before they affect their job, and cost the company money.

Also, if I was "in charge" and found out about this, I would make a special order and place it in the supervisor's personnel jacket that he is not to come in unnecessary contact with the employee while on duty.

Violation of a direct order is always(*) grounds for termination in my hire book.

(*) Documented extended circumstances may always apply.

I wonder if the client will drop the account for this?
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                          ...I wonder if the client will drop the account for this?
                          Not likely. He's in-house.
                          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                          Originally posted by ValleyOne
                          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                          Shoulda called in sick.
                          Be safe!

Comment

I am a boss and I occasionally stop into work while off duty to check e-mails, my mailbox, see if there are any questions, etc. Of course, I am in-house. If the supervisor in question is in-house, I am guessing the same is true for him.

However, I would never think of dressing down my staff in front of anyone, especially in the middle of a situation and with something that didn't even involve a job performance issue.

Comment

Sounds like some supervision/command training is needed here, as well as better supervision of the supervisors.
                              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X