Your Job Description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Job Description

I'm interested in what everyone here does in the security field, and what you used to do.

I will complete my first year in security in June. I started with my current company (U.S. Security Associates) in January when the old company I was in was bought by them. I started as a normal S.O. then promoted to Site Supervisor/Lieutenant, then finally to Field Inspector/Captain (more commonly known as Road Supervisor) recently. I mainly just patrol a District I've been assigned which includes over 20 different posts, from Fort Lauderdale to South Miami. I chat a bit with the guards, make sure everything is alright and get them to sign a daily log which states I checked them and their equipment. If they have a patrol car or gas operated golf cart I fill with gas if needed and complete a full check on it's working status. There is a lot of other crap we have to do but nothing 'exciting', oh and a crappy $11/H.

When I was in uniform, my job description as an officer was to observe, intervene, report, and make detentions as required. Griff (Bigdog21) should have the full job description, he works for the same company I worked for. When I was an FTO, add "training people beyond OJT/site, and ensure that they were able to work high-risk environment posts by themselves." I was one of two surviving FTOs in the company.

Now days, I have an IT consultancy and a security consultancy of sorts, I consult with companies on topics ranging from equipment to high-risk environments.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I work at a 500 room downtown hotel in Montreal. Have been here since 1981. I work the 3p.m. to 11p.m. shift, alone. We act as first responders to all emergencies. We also act as the eyes & ears of management reporting people breaking hotel rules. We are also completely in charge of the electronic locks of the hotel. (Programming & repair).

I am also the Assistant Director of Security for the company that manages the hotel. We manage 2 other hotels in the Montreal area. My boss works out of head office & deals with other types of properties. As a result I am in charge of the day to day management of security of the 3 hotels.

From April 1977 until it closed in the fall of 1981 I worked as a Security Officer/Fire Marshal for the Windsor Hotel also in downtown montreal.

i worked for Pinkerton & a small contract company while in college taking Police Technology from 1974 until I started at the Windsor Hotel. I worked at a sugar refinery, football stadium & as a fill in, working weekends & during the summers.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

In my primary job, I work in the criminal justice field separate from doing security officer work. In my s/o job, I do armed patrol in accordance with Title 17 CRS Sec., 10-2 et seq.
        Last edited by Christopherstjo; 04-28-2007, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I am an Armed patrol officer in northern California. I patrol my assigned district which usually has 5-8 properties. We respond to all cals for serivce and even respond with the police to assist them on our properties. We often get called by the police and handed calls for properties we dont service because they dont have the man power to handle the call.
          Robert
          Here endith the lesson

Comment

I provide insurance discounts

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherstjo
              In my primary job, I work in the criminal justice field separate from doing security officer work. In my s/o job, I do armed patrol in accordance with Title 17 CRS Sec., 10-2 et seq.
              I guess you forgot all the other "professions" you are somehow involved in... I thought you were fired from the s/o gig, hence the lawsuit?
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I have been involved in police and security work since '94. Assistant director of hotel security for a while and then got into Healthcare security were I am presently at today in a major Childrens Hospital.
                When not at work, I train my German Shepherds in tracking, protection work and obedience. I am also in the process of Search and Rescue (SAR) with one of my K9's.

E6
                K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
                  I thought you were fired from the s/o gig, hence the lawsuit?
                  And that means what - that I am not able to get another job in the s/o filed?
                  Last edited by Christopherstjo; 04-28-2007, 02:37 AM.

Comment

And that means what - that I am not able to get another job in the s/o filed?
                    emphasis mine

[hijack]

One can only hope, Christopher

[/hijack]

Back to topic:

I am the "Assistant Project Manager/2d Shift Supervisor" to a large charity hospital.

Other Titles are:

Chief Door Unlocker/Locker

Chief Deceased Inspector

Head, Driveway Blocker

Chief, Valuables Collector for Those Unable to Leave Stuff at the House

Chief, Roof Fire Department (can't have them helicopters catching on fire!)

Superintendent, Homeless Housing Project

I'm sure there's plenty more!

Comment

It is rather pathetic that certain individuals here believe they have the inherent right to consistently ruine the threads of others by engaging in conduct having no other purpose than to delibertely try to spark fights.

Comment

It is rather pathetic that certain individuals here believe they have the inherent right to consistently ruine the threads of others by engaging in conduct having no other purpose than to delibertely try to spark fights.
                        But I'm a Marine, We like fights

Comment

Former L.E. presently working on a college campus. Also licensed investigator.
                          Here is our job description from the State personnel office:

DEFINITION

Perform general duty security work to protect life and property; enforce laws and ordinances, maintain order, and prevent and investigate crime.

DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS

Positions allocated to this class have responsibility for enforcing campus regulations and local, state, and federal laws. Incumbents may be required to successfully complete a law enforcement course approved by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission.

TYPICAL WORK

Patrol a designated area on foot or in a patrol car to enforce institution rules and regulations, local, state, and federal statutes and ordinances;

Inspect buildings and grounds for prowlers, fire, property damage, or other irregularities;

Direct and regulate traffic, investigate accidents or crimes; administer first aid; issue citations for violations; gather evidence; locate witnesses; appear in court as required;

Operate department communication equipment; answer telephone inquiries; receive reports of criminal activity; dispatch foot and mobile units; operate paging system; monitor alarm systems; prepare, type, and distribute reports;

Maintain surveillance of an area suspect for criminal activity;

Assist city or county police and state patrol in cases of emergency;

Perform related duties as required.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                            But I'm a Marine, We like fights
                            ........... ...........

Comment

Originally posted by Investigation
                              Perform general duty security work to protect life and property; enforce laws and ordinances, maintain order, and prevent and investigate crime.
                              It would appear, then, that you are still active in L.E...?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X