• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathootzie
    replied
    from Kathootzie

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    On the internet, with the anonimity that it provides, sworn police officers and those pretending to be them will do and say alot more than they would face to face with someone.

Granted, there are those who WILL do it "face-to-face," and those are usually the ones counting on their police authority or bravado, or whatever it is, to weather them through whatever happens.

But, for the most part, police officers on the internet do the same things that other groups of people do on the internet. They stick together generally, fight amongst themselves about issues relative to their fraternity, and attack others who are not of the group who exibit behavior they dislike.

A rather respected former police officer, who is now Editor for a large police magazine and website, noted to me recently that the police officers (on the internet) who love to bash security officers are usually the ones who are having giant debates about "professional courtsey" (I'm your brother, you give it to me for ANYTHING, including murder...) and were quick to say, "Send me to New Orleans so I can kill some looters." He used the term "cowboys" for this group of officers.

Keeping in mind that not every person who says they are a sworn police officer on the internet is telling the truth... Most of the cowboys will rigorously defend "their" website from any intrusions - including those from "Can I play in your clubhouse too" by people in the security or special police fields.

Its the ones who play games in public, in real life, that warrant more attention and corrective measures, so that enforcement action may be taken against them by the State/District Attorney's office for misprison of office, and other reliefs through civil channels. When a police officer's individual harassment of "security guards" begins to affect the operations of a company, its time the company begins to itself, its employee, and its client from the actions of those officers.

To answer your question about "Are we all on the same side," to most police officers, we are not. They are sworn law enforcement officers, you are a civilian. You are what they police, and until you are a sworn police officer, you are not on "their side."

Such phrases as, "In God We Trust, All Others Through NCIC," illustrate this.
    I am again going to say that we (security officers) are there at our jobs to protect the people and property of our employers. Police officers protect people and property too. While in some ways our jobs have similarities, our jobs just are not as extensive and involved as police officers jobs are. But we should be on the same side as far as doing the job we are hired to do, and giving each other respect, being mature, and ditching the competition as to who is better or has more power. Everyone knows that a police officer has far more duties and responsibilities than a security officer. That is the difference, but that does NOT in any way minimize or belittle the position of a security officer, or the respect one deserves. Both police officers and security officers deserve respect and recognition.

Leave a comment:

• Kathootzie
    replied
    from Kathootzie

Originally posted by sgdspitz
    Does anyone feellike there is a negitive attitude from LE officers towards private security on the internet? I myself am a security officer at a high school in Wayne county Michigan; there is twelve others like myself that work security. On the day shift there is over five thousand students, in between three different high schools, on a three hundred and five acre campus. All other times our campus is open to the public (not to mention all the athletic events that draw thousands). Day shift has two resource officers on site that are full time city police officers. Among other things, in my time working here I have broken up fights, busted drug deals, and went plain clothes undercover in order to prevent an ongoing theft occurrence. We are unarmed, underpaid, and get little respect/appreciation from the public (unless they are getting robbed). A lot of the security staff has their bachelor degrees, some have been former police, and we had a former DEA agent working security. The resource officers on site love the help we offer, and I think that there are a lot of people that could learn to appreciate the help we offer. Are we not on the same side?
    If not, we should be! We (security officers) are there to protect people and property. If it is any consolation, police officers don't always get the respect and appreciation from people that they deserve either.

Leave a comment:

• ff000525
    replied
    My 2 cents

I think there are good and bad eggs everywhere. On a positive note, I did a ride along with a Metro Unit in Las Vegas. We had a call to an apartment complex and contact with security, the cop I was riding with actually said to me that the security does a good job with the restrictions and BS they have to put up with. On the other hand, I had an encounter with a Sheriff Deputy in WI who thought he was God's Gift to law enforcement and totally rubbed me the wrong way. I think most cops extend a small amount of professional coutesy to most of us security guards, unless we come off as a box of rocks or like mentioned before a kiss-butt.

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Mayor
    Talon has said some extreme things but I have found truth in some of what he has said.

Speaking from experience, leos tend to fall into his three categories.
    I am sure there is some truth in what he is saying. Yes, of course there are police officers that are a-holes. But he is saying that only a small percentage of police officers are the respectable ones that will help you out. That's just not true. If Talon has such problems with the police, it's because he has an attittude problem. In reality, I think he's exaggerating his negative experiences.

But, if a story - especially one with a training or other merit, can be told without revealing specific agency/personal identifying information - tell the tale.
    One of our armed patrol officers was driving along a city street. Up ahead he saw a police car that had pulled over a pickup on a traffic stop. As our officer got closer he saw the police officer on the ground and the suspect on top of him beating the holy hell out of him and reaching for the police officer's gun. Our security officer slammed on the brakes and ran to the aid of the officer. He drew his weapon and ordered the perp at gunpoint to get off of the police officer. They got the perp down to the ground, cuffed him, and took him off to jail.

The police officer was really getting the worst of the fight. The perp had him pinned down, reaching for his gun. The cop ended up with a dislocated shoulder and bruises. Our officer received a commendation for bravery from the police agency.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "Oh, we have Bob Dole Homes on Route 51"
    Oh, crap...Did I mention that on here?

Sorry.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    But, if a story - especially one with a training or other merit, can be told without revealing specific agency/personal identifying information - tell the tale.
    Ok then. When I worked mall security..

An employee of a major shipping/copying retail store came up to me and said that a young lady had just come into her store and sent two priority overnight packages. Both packages weighed four pounds. The young lady would not give her address and gave a bogus contact number. She paid in cash. Hmmmmmm..smells like a drug shipment.

I told the employee to contact the BNE (not the local boys). The BNE let the packages go through to the destination state and told LE in the destination state of the susipicious packages and gave them the tracking numbers. Two people were arrested in the destination state. Each package contained 2.5 pounds of marijuana.

A detective from the destination state contacted the local boys here and told them about the packages that had been shipped. The local cops marched right into the store (with no discretion) and began speaking to the manager about the drug shipment in front of a long holiday line of customers.
    Couldn't have just said: "Excuse me could we talk in the back?"

The cops walked away with nothing.....No info on the young lady who sent the packages......NOTHING.

I went back to the store, talked to the manager and found out that the young lady had called the store earlier on the day of the shipment to find out when the latest was that she could ship out the overnights. The manager had given her the wrong cut off time so he *69 her number and it rang back. I told him that *69 is a utility charge on his phone bill and he should be able to demand the number (of the young lady) from his phone company.
    I asked him when he gets his phone bill. He told me when. I came back on that date. I sat there as he called his phone co. Got the perps phone number!

The phone number was a land line. I did a reverse phone number search and pulled up her address. I called the BNE (keeping the local city and county boys out of it) and passed on the intel. Turns out she was the courier for the actual dealer. They rolled her. Got him. He was growing marijuana and they caught him with over 300 plants.

Problem Solved. Thank you.

And just think.....The local boys had NOTHING...

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    What Taser has said, about saving the lives of police officers, is believable. Much more than Mr. Aaron's tales, as they're referred to now. Mainly because it is not only legal, but also desirable to save life and property - and when a police officer is on our property, we are usually bound to protect their life, too.

I dislike people revealing identifable information about specific agencies or companies, mainly because this IS a public website, and being sued for slander, or having a site stolen because an employee went, "Oh, we have Bob Dole Homes on Route 51," on a public forum.

Most sites are "trade secrets," if not in title and statute, then in company policy. (I refer to the US Trade Secrets Act for "statute.")

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Talon has said some extreme things but I have found truth in some of what he has said.

Speaking from experience, leos tend to fall into his three categories.

The true, galliant, "squared away" ones are like diamonds in the ruff. My uncle was one of those leos, a retired VSP Trooper. All one has to do is peruse the PC threads on O.com and they will see just how whiney and righteous some leos are. BUT, not ALL are like that. For example, Tennsix is a solid leo, and he has never badged his way out of a ticket.

I as a Security Officer, have personally solved major felonies, because the police couldn't. If you want to know ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Bait The Troll Traps

Originally posted by talon
    "I have been a police officer for 18 years and you should know that I don?t kiss a$$ and I am no one?s idiot. Generally, people of your mind-set are disgruntled because (s)he wasn?t picked-up by a law enforcement agency. I would be interested in hearing more of your insightful contributions."

Did I hit a nerve Mr. Six?

If you read my post I said that there were a small minority of squared away guys & gals in most departments so if thats you...good!

It was never my intention to go on with a public security department (thats police to the lay person) I believe that the private sector is the wave of the future.

So I put myself through the academy and yes we had job fairs where the local PDs and SOs would come and recruit and at the time and I could have went on and made 20 to 30 thousand a year, but I was making double that in the private sector, so why downgrade?

I won't pretend to have your experience, and 18 years is sure alot of it, and I commend you for it, but you proved my point when you said something to the effect of "people like you couldnt get picked up by a department".

I just came of off a job where I was making over $2,800.00 per week and I was in charge of abunch of retired leo's and military guys that most of them didnt know their aholes from their elbows...so if you think I feel bad that I don't work for some po-dunk department you got another thing coming.
    I see where tis is going... BTW, security officers are cool in my book. I just don't like a$$holes.

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmyhat
    Of course.........it's your can of worms. Just don't get caught high-crawlin' when you oughta be low-crawlin'.
    I only speak the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmyhat
    Easy-does-it there Taser. Saving lives is a touchy subject. While I'd like to believe you're an up-and-coming, High-Speed Ranger-Type Security officer, I might politely suggest not to speak about such sensitive things. Mr. Corbier is always watching, untruths might land you in a heap of trouble.
    If he is watching, I would be happy to direct him to an article regarding one of our officers saving the life of a police officer. Provided he doesn't reveal the agency I work for of course.

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    Originally posted by talon
    taser,

you may get along great with your local pd and that is great in itself...but I doubt that you do the kind of work I do where the locals resent us because we dont need them...they can't be the calvary anymore that comes to the rescue of the "security guards."

I would like to know how old you are and how long you've been in the business?
    And I'd like to know the same of you, but I don't give out personal, identifying information on a public forum.

I can tell you I have done armed security patrol for a number of years which includes patrol, alarm response, armored courier, etc.

As for the the apparent resentment you receive...
    We don't very often need to call out the local police either. Personally I think that's why they like us. We take care of our own sh** and only call them when it's absolutely necessary. We have a good working relationship with them. Sure, some of our officers have bumped heads with them in the past, but we generally get along very well. If you're sitting in a lot doing paperwork, it's not uncommon for one to pull up and chat with you. They know our reputation and they know our officers have saved the lives of cops on more than one occasion.

Leave a comment:

• talon
    replied
    Taser:

taser,

you may get along great with your local pd and that is great in itself...but I doubt that you do the kind of work I do where the locals resent us because we dont need them...they can't be the calvary anymore that comes to the rescue of the "security guards."

I would like to know how old you are and how long you've been in the business?

Leave a comment:

• talon
    replied
    the future...........

the answer is.......I dont know........North Carolina ruins everything it touches so we will see..........

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    I just can't believe your comments.

A police officer would let me die in the streets? A police officer would never back me up?

That's pure BS. You obviously have some serious jealousy issues or something. Either that or you've always had a negative attitude toward the police and they KNOW you have a negative attitude so they give you the same respect you give them.

In my years working security I have worked side by side with law enforcement on numerous occasions. I know they would come to my aid the same way they'd come to the aid of any citizen in need. How do I know this? Because they HAVE!

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X