No announcement yet.

We are on the same side, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on both sides of the fence. And I can honestly say that I have never had contempt for anyone working security for the exception of these John Wayne types trying to prove something. When I was a LEO most I encounterd where people trying to make an honest dollar. I had a few part time guard jobs in my younger years so I knew the way things where for some of them. But indeed there are other LEO's out there that are rather closed minded to the security field and where it's "trying" to go in the new age. I have had a few encounters myself in the last few years with my present employer. Changes can not be made fast enough. But I fear by the time the job is put on a higher standard by both legislation and those who run it most of us will be long gone or at least long time retired from it. I only hope the changes made will put us all on a level playing field with the same goals.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Its strange to me, that when you read this poster's same post at Officer.com, aside from the "Why are you even here, go to a security forum" comments...

Most LEOs on O.com hate security due to poor hiring standards. And we're all lumped in on that.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Its strange to me, that when you read this poster's same post at Officer.com, aside from the "Why are you even here, go to a security forum" comments...
        Remind me please, what was his context on that post?
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Is someone a little bitter???

Originally posted by talon
          Let me tell you how this POLICE stuff works. Police agencies are very territorial by nature, Most are good ole boy networks where a friend of the Chief or 'contributer' to the Sheriff has a son or daughter "that just cant get or hold a job" so this friend calls the Chief or other high ranking official with some pull and he agrees to hire the idiot.

So now you have a moron that couldn't work in the private sector because he or she is to stupid but now they have a job that makes them think that they are really above average because they went through a few months of mandated training.

Thats type #1 that becomes a police officer next are the type #2's these are the a$$ kissers, these guys and gals brown nose their way into job, she may have to sleep with somebody and he will gladly take one if he has to, but usually he's one of these hanger arounder guys that are always telling the type 1 guys how cool they are.

You do have the occasional squared away guy or gal that is somehow able to get in legitimatley but they are very rare and almost never get any rank.
          I have been a police officer for 18 years and you should know that I don?t kiss a$$ and I am no one?s idiot. Generally, people of your mind-set are disgruntled because (s)he wasn?t picked-up by a law enforcement agency. I would be interested in hearing more of your insightful contributions.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

How police stuff works.

"I have been a police officer for 18 years and you should know that I don?t kiss a$$ and I am no one?s idiot. Generally, people of your mind-set are disgruntled because (s)he wasn?t picked-up by a law enforcement agency. I would be interested in hearing more of your insightful contributions."

Did I hit a nerve Mr. Six?

If you read my post I said that there were a small minority of squared away guys & gals in most departments so if thats you...good!

It was never my intention to go on with a public security department (thats police to the lay person) I believe that the private sector is the wave of the future.

So I put myself through the academy and yes we had job fairs where the local PDs and SOs would come and recruit and at the time and I could have went on and made 20 to 30 thousand a year, but I was making double that in the private sector, so why downgrade?

I won't pretend to have your experience, and 18 years is sure alot of it, and I commend you for it, but you proved my point when you said something to the effect of "people like you couldnt get picked up by a department".

I just came of off a job where I was making over $2,800.00 per week and I was in charge of abunch of retired leo's and military guys that most of them didnt know their aholes from their elbows...so if you think I feel bad that I don't work for some po-dunk department you got another thing coming.

Comment

Pie in the sky

So many times, Police and Security are so unclear of each others duty and responsibility that we butt heads simply because of ignorance.

Jimmyhat,

I know the responsabilities of both, the private security/police are on the job as it happens........and the public security/police show up when its overwith and tell everybody what they would have done if they had been there.

Your average public security officer ie, "police officer" is a powertripper with dillusions of grandure....They are all legends in their own minds....

where as if you strip them of their cloak of authority they are spineless punks...they are kind of like the wizard of Oz....all smoke and fire but when you get behind the curtain theres just a silly man trying to scare people.

I've been in this game a long time....almost 10 yrs now, I thought the same thing when I came on board, that we should all get along for the good of the whole...boy was I naive...its a pie in the sky..........

Comment

Talon, do you honestly believe the sh** you're spewing?
                10-8

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyhat
                  Before this turns into a "gang-up-on-Talon" thread, let me be the bigger man.

Talon, I can certainly understand where, why, and how you are disgruntled, and pissed-off. There is friction between our professions, anyone who can't see it is simply not vested enough in this business.

One thing I always tell my students: Don't come to me and bitch about what is wrong with your working environment. Come to me with ideas on how you can improve upon a plan that may be a little broken.

It does no one, any good, to constantly complain, instead of coming together with your problem to create a better solution.

We have a long way to go, for Security and Law Enforcement to become integrated enough to become an effective and cohesive unit of protection. So let's work towards the positive, and not impede progress just because of a few bad experiences.
                  Sorry, but I'm gonna gang up on Talon. He's obviously a complete moron.

This guy is resentful of the most selfless class of human beings out there: police officers. Police officers put their lives on the line to protect other people's lives and property. That's about as noble as one can get. Let's also not forget that the police are really our greatest ally. Without them, what would we do? Who's going to lock up the burglar you snagged? Who's going to impound the stolen car that was dumped on property you're protecting? Who's going to cite the wayward punk for criminal trespass? Who's going to set up containment with you after you find evidence of forced entry on an alarm response? Who's going to come help neutralize a threat when something really goes south?

The police are a public agency charged with protecting private citizens and private property. They are the salt of the earth and deserve our greatest respect.
                  10-8

Comment

Talon here........

I find it amusing that you are taking up for a group of people that would never take up for you in a million years...a public security officer would watch you die in the street and not think twice about it.

Spineless punks? Well..........maybe I spoke too harshly.....maybe.

while I definitly respect everyones opinion here... and we are definitely all entitled to our own...I didnt reach any of my conclusions overnight...when I started out I was just like you guys...

I thought the world of public security...and I too was warned by a mentor about how I should expect to be treated and I didnt believe him at first...but as they say a hardhead makes for a soft a$$...after having my life put in danger a few times by these pinnacles of selflessness I learned my lesson.

and remember, I've never said ALL... I say most...or average...I have met a few good public secuirty officers but they are few and far between...

and dont let them fool you about "risking their lives 24/7 thats a bunch of crap...their job is no more dangerous than a cab driver or construction worker...the problem is most people watch lethal weapon and think thats the way it really is...and these public security officers are so dillusional they believe it too.

Comment

I would have to wonder if the above issues are not, actually, required to be investigated by Talon's agency, as they're special police officers with law enforcement powers.That's about all I'm going to comment on this thread.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

For the record...

I have never, ever and never will call a public security officer to back me up.

I have called them to alert them of problems but never to back me up.

Comment

Investigations

My agency handles investigations that need to be addressed as well as any arrests that need to be made... so of course I dont have to deal with the locals much...most of my bad experiences occured while I was unsworn and wet behind the ears...

Comment

Also for the record...

also for the record I have backed up public security officers when they needed it...and I would never allow any harm to come to them if I can do anything about it..............even though I know that they wouldnt return the favor.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyhat
                              I wouldn't go so far as to call the man names because he has an opinion. It doesn't do any good for this discussion, or our industry to do so.

Also, as a Soldier, I dropped a few pints of this and that, here and there, in defense of people who don't have the freedom to speak their minds. In this country, we are allowed to converse freely. I'll show respect to that freedom by not resorting to third-grade tactics.
                              Police officers are out their defending our freedom as well. Shameless denigrating of them is a despicable act.

I stand by what I said.

And also Jimmy Hat, thank you for serving. You're a true patriot.
                              10-8

Comment

I just can't believe your comments.

A police officer would let me die in the streets? A police officer would never back me up?

That's pure BS. You obviously have some serious jealousy issues or something. Either that or you've always had a negative attitude toward the police and they KNOW you have a negative attitude so they give you the same respect you give them.

In my years working security I have worked side by side with law enforcement on numerous occasions. I know they would come to my aid the same way they'd come to the aid of any citizen in need. How do I know this? Because they HAVE!
                                10-8

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X