We are on the same side, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are on the same side, right?

Does anyone feellike there is a negitive attitude from LE officers towards private security on the internet? I myself am a security officer Michigan; there is twelve others like myself that work security. Among other things, in my time working here I have broken up fights, busted drug deals, and went plain clothes undercover in order to prevent an ongoing theft occurrence. We are unarmed, underpaid, and get little respect/appreciation from the public (unless they are the victim). A lot of the security staff has their bachelor degrees, some have been former police, and we had a former DEA agent working security. The resource officers on site love the help we offer, and I think that there are a lot of people that could learn to appreciate the help we offer. Are we not on the same side?
    Last edited by sgdspitz; 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM.

Unfortunately, this is a problem everywhere... It's been my experience that it's mostly the older, more experienced Officers that seem to have issues with security, because they're still in the older mindset that Police alone should enforce the law, and security is just around to steal their jobs & whatnot.... Most younger Officers are a bit more understanding, especially since many of them worked in security before becoming LEOs... Eventually, the same thing will happen that happened with Police over the past couple decades... the old way of thinking will shrink away, and things will get better... it just takes time.

(Of course, TV stations airing episodes of COPS where a security guard is pulled out of his car & arrested for posession of narcotics and driving suspended doesn't help either... LOL)
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

I have a couple ideas.

Well I'd like to offer a couple ideas about where the indifferent attitude comes from.

I have personally seen many cases where security guards/officers are so obsessed with becoming cops that whenever they see a "real" cop at their workplace, they feel the need to go over to him/her and kiss their butt. The typical questions follow:

"Hey how ya doing?!"
      "What kind of gun is that...have you ever shot anybody?"
      "So are you guys hiring?"
      "I really wanna work for you guys. I've applied to department X, Y, Z,"

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind giving a friendly hello or having a conversation if the officer wants to talk. I just think that some security people create pointless chit chat just because it thrills them to talk to a "real" cop. I also think that you have the occasional security guard that tries to act like they know more than the police do...i.e. telling them how to do their jobs. And lets face it, we've all seen slobs in uniform.

Most of the security officers I know are honest people who just want to do their jobs and make a living. But I'm sure the negative attitude from police is the result of bad experiences with "slob" guards.

Comment

On the internet, with the anonimity that it provides, sworn police officers and those pretending to be them will do and say alot more than they would face to face with someone.

Granted, there are those who WILL do it "face-to-face," and those are usually the ones counting on their police authority or bravado, or whatever it is, to weather them through whatever happens.

But, for the most part, police officers on the internet do the same things that other groups of people do on the internet. They stick together generally, fight amongst themselves about issues relative to their fraternity, and attack others who are not of the group who exibit behavior they dislike.

A rather respected former police officer, who is now Editor for a large police magazine and website, noted to me recently that the police officers (on the internet) who love to bash security officers are usually the ones who are having giant debates about "professional courtsey" (I'm your brother, you give it to me for ANYTHING, including murder...) and were quick to say, "Send me to New Orleans so I can kill some looters." He used the term "cowboys" for this group of officers.

Keeping in mind that not every person who says they are a sworn police officer on the internet is telling the truth... Most of the cowboys will rigorously defend "their" website from any intrusions - including those from "Can I play in your clubhouse too" by people in the security or special police fields.

Its the ones who play games in public, in real life, that warrant more attention and corrective measures, so that enforcement action may be taken against them by the State/District Attorney's office for misprison of office, and other reliefs through civil channels. When a police officer's individual harassment of "security guards" begins to affect the operations of a company, its time the company begins to itself, its employee, and its client from the actions of those officers.

To answer your question about "Are we all on the same side," to most police officers, we are not. They are sworn law enforcement officers, you are a civilian. You are what they police, and until you are a sworn police officer, you are not on "their side."

Such phrases as, "In God We Trust, All Others Through NCIC," illustrate this.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Well where I work, its the total opposite
          the older police officers are the ones who show us respect and they come out to the airport to just BS with us, now the younger ones, they will drive by and if they see you, they wont even wave to ya. OOhh well, it sure does hurt my feelings if a cop dosent wave to me ( yeah right)

The young cops behaviour Ive noticed is this "hey Ive got a badge, you will respect me" Yeah Ok, well respect is earned, not given.

Comment

With many retired LEOs entering the security profession, a younger less seasoned LEO pokes fun of security officers at his/her peril. A word from the retired LEO to a line supervisor is all that is needed.
            In one case I am aware of, a younger LEO was given a choice of disciplinary action or work side-by-side with a security officer who had retired from the department a year earlier. The security company agreed and after two nights the younger man was so much the wiser.
            It has been my personal experience that public law enforcement looks upon private security as force multipliers, extra sets of eyes. If done properly it is a win-win situation for all concerned.
            In the latest "Security Week That Was," there was an article about upgrading security cameras protecting private property pushed by public law enforcement. Why? Better enforcement and better prosecutions. Both sides working for the common good.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              ......A rather respected former police officer, who is now Editor for a large police magazine and website, noted to me recently that the police officers (on the internet) who love to bash security officers are usually the ones who are having giant debates about "professional courtsey" (I'm your brother, you give it to me for ANYTHING, including murder...) and were quick to say, "Send me to New Orleans so I can kill some looters." He used the term "cowboys" for this group of officers.....
              Did you have a chance to read the recent editorial article on O.com about PC?
              What a simple solution. Just don't break the law and you won't NEED PC.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

How this "POLICE" stuff works...

Let me tell you how this POLICE stuff works. Police agencies are very territorial by nature, Most are good ole boy networks where a friend of the Chief or 'contributer' to the Sheriff has a son or daughter "that just cant get or hold a job" so this friend calls the Chief or other high ranking official with some pull and he agrees to hire the idiot.

So now you have a moron that couldn't work in the private sector because he or she is to stupid but now they have a job that makes them think that they are really above average because they went through a few months of mandated training.

Thats type #1 that becomes a police officer next are the type #2's these are the a$$ kissers, these guys and gals brown nose their way into job, she may have to sleep with somebody and he will gladly take one if he has to, but usually he's one of these hanger arounder guys that are always telling the type 1 guys how cool they are.

You do have the occasional squared away guy or gal that is somehow able to get in legitimatley but they are very rare and almost never get any rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  Did you have a chance to read the recent editorial article on O.com about PC?
                  What a simple solution. Just don't break the law and you won't NEED PC.
                  No, I haven't yet, but I have a feeling I know what it says.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I do not take sides. I treat everyone the same. If you give me respect then you will get respect back.

I have come across LE officers who do not give respect, and who seem to think that they are entitled to being treated with respect becuase of their career. When I come across these officers (who are few and far between), I politley tell them that they have poor communication skills and that I will need the assistance of their supervisor to remedie the situation at hand.
                    I personally call the Sgt. desk and will only deal with the Sgt. for the rest of the call.

Some cops have inferiority complexes, and think that they are better because their badge says "Police" instead of "Security".

Comment

Originally posted by talon
                      Let me tell you how this POLICE stuff works. Police agencies are very territorial by nature, Most are good ole boy networks where a friend of the Chief or 'contributer' to the Sheriff has a son or daughter "that just cant get or hold a job" so this friend calls the Chief or other high ranking official with some pull and he agrees to hire the idiot.

So now you have a moron that couldn't work in the private sector because he or she is to stupid but now they have a job that makes them think that they are really above average because they went through a few months of mandated training.

Thats type #1 that becomes a police officer next are the type #2's these are the a$$ kissers, these guys and gals brown nose their way into job, she may have to sleep with somebody and he will gladly take one if he has to, but usually he's one of these hanger arounder guys that are always telling the type 1 guys how cool they are.

You do have the occasional squared away guy or gal that is somehow able to get in legitimatley but they are very rare and almost never get any rank.
                      I have found that the majority of cops are out there doing a good job and I am thankful that if I dial 911 there are trained, dedicated professionals responding to save my bacon. Like security it's just a select minority that needs to change professions. One exception where I think you are on target is with small sheriff departments. Since most if not all are elected, sometimes cronies are hired to fill deputy slots. Not too long ago there was a case where the incumbent sheriff arranged for a hit on the newly elected sheriff. Admittedly, this is an exception. However, Connecticut disbanded the Sheriff Department because of ongoing problems. Conn. now uses judicial marshals to handle prisoner transport and custody issues during the courtroom phase of the legal process.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        No, I haven't yet, but I have a feeling I know what it says.
                        It's definitely worth reading. The best article I've ever read on PC.

Comment

Originally posted by talon

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Let's see, just for fun...In the SO I worked for, 0 out of 22 road deps fit either of the first two categories. In the first PD, the ratio MAY have been 1/60 (but I also really didn't like that person). The second, and most recent PD, the ratio was an absolute 0/45. In fact, I'd say an even 99% of the officers/deps/marshals/etc I personally know fit squarely into the last "very rare" category.

Maybe things are different on the east coast...?

Comment

I've had positive and negative encounters with the police. I've never been the target of scorn from any police officers, but sometimes you get the impression that they'd really rather be doing something else (which I'm sure is true). For the most part though, when it becomes clear to the officer that I'm not a dumbass and that I'm doing my job, they're super helpful and even appreciative.
                            10-8

Comment

How police stuff works...

I hate to sound negative but I base all of what I say on experience. I worked as an unsworn Security Officer from 97 - 2000 and I had always had a good outlook on police officers, I never would have believed the things that I experienced while on the job.

Even now as a fully sworn, fully empowered SPO (ohh, ahh) I still get crap & I have gone out of my way and above and beyond to be easy to get along with.

I'll tell you a true story. I was on duty at a nightclub on a busy strip in a large city. At the end of my shift as I was walking out the front door I saw a fight across the street, it appeared to be several males beating the heck out of another guy.

To make a long story short there was one guy threating a group with a gun in his trunk, another guy with a knife trying to cut someone and this same guy trying to run down a group of people.

I was the only unifomed presence there while it was happening. I had to pull my weapon once and run a block to stop the one guy from cutting another.

During this a guy drove by and IDed himself as a state trooper apparently he thought I was a city officer and told me I was doing a great job...then drove on...ok whatever... but the kicker was when the locals finally decided to show up they didn't ask me a d#@m thing as to what happend or what was going on. Instead they relied on the expert testimony of a bunch of drunks.

Of course I didnt shed a tear I just did my job. The following night as I stood outside of this same nightclub a guy came by that I did'nt know or recognize and said..."you did a good job last night". I thanked him and felt good the rest of the night.

So now you can see from where my outlook is based, and I've got a million other stories just like that one.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X