Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security on TV...again.

Hi,

Being an LP Agent don't usually try to debate the uniformed security positions and how they are portrayed in the media, but I was watching the show "Drive" last night and had to say a few things...

Bank robbery scene. "Security" Car pulls up, pretty slick looking CrownVic...better than many security cars on TV. Officer gets out. Fairly competant looking guy, armed, decent uniform. Then it goes horribly wrong...Officer confronts subjects inside the bank, gun drawn (some crazy Dirty Harry Hollywood looking revolver...couldn't really tell maybe a .357) Oh, and of course no call for backup. He says "maybe tonight won't be so slow after all" Subjects try to cut a deal with the officer, er..., idiot at this point. I think they said maybe we can work something out, you're not even a cop! He began to consider the offer when he is Glocked in the back by a third subject...Stupid. Yeah, it is TV and the "bad guys" were supposed to get away...one does get "accidentally" shot by the officer, but when is private protection going to be taken seriously on screen?

Just venting because I know the risks and see the security side of it, where most people viewing would have no clue and are going to remember what they see. So, a salute to all of you and don't let that junk get you down. Thanks

About the same time that patrol officers are seen as the same rank as detectives, and its realized that Gus Grissom would never make an arrest.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I do not know if private protection will ever be taken at a more serious level in TV land. In the original Star Trek it was unknown actors acting as some type of security to be taken out first. That was a lifetime ago!

All that you and I can do is act and be the professional we are. Well maybe, write some better scripts for a long lasting show.
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
        I do not know if private protection will ever be taken at a more serious level in TV land. In the original Star Trek it was unknown actors acting as some type of security to be taken out first. That was a lifetime ago!

All that you and I can do is act and be the professional we are. Well maybe, write some better scripts for a long lasting show.
        Actually, your last comment is worth thinking about. Notice that there are now at least two shows on "bounty hunters". Although I don't care for either show personally, some might argue that shows like this do raise the public consciousness about this field, making people aware of a whole side of life that they never really knew anything about.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
          Actually, your last comment is worth thinking about.
          That is a small wonder as I am having one of those wish I was somewhere else days.

But yes, positive reinforcement could help the industry.
          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Its bad enough the way they portray the private sector. But movies like Drive, Fast and Furious and other "race" programs "heroize" speeding, maniac terrorizing drivers. And there has been a significant rise in this crap too in Florida. FHP aggressive driving force units and county traffic procap can't keep up.
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

I'm not really a security officer; I just play one on TV.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X