Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your facility provide an office, place of operations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your facility provide an office, place of operations?

I am curious on how everyone has a place of operation set up. Do you have an independent building or office? Or do you have to "share" with another department or company? I was thinking this the other night when I went by a big car dealership and they had an S/O outside using a golf cart. This place was huge. But they said they did not allow them to "go-inside" for any reason. They could use the bathroom in the mechanics bay but that was it. Another place was a small community church college. They have an office at the entrance including a PC with photo transferring system for digital cameras and CCTV. And the head of security was armed. Another place was a large wood supplier company and they had to share with the maintenance people. Ack! Besides the usual gate house and shack thrown across the state here I was wondering if some of us have real offices. And how well are they set up? I would assume that those that work in-house like hospitals and hotels have their own office. But I have seen other wise. Especially in Florida.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Contract security companies are not employees, and usually (in my experience in Florida), they are given the maintenance office or no office whatsoever (work out of your car).

Usually when the in-house "security director" is packing and nobody else is, he's either packing illegally (not knowing he needs a D & G), or he's using his position to justify being cool and carrying a gun. The client obviously sees no reason to arm the rest of the guard force, so why is the in-house guy armed?

I've seen places where you cannot go in, for fear that you will steal something (nobody from the company is there to watch you.)

Usually, in cases like that... You're not there to actually protect anything, you're there to satisfy an insurance requirement. They trust you and your employer about as far as they could throw the office your employer works out of.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

"Usually, in cases like that... You're not there to actually protect anything, you're there to satisfy an insurance requirement. They trust you and your employer about as far as they could throw the office your employer works out of."

------------------------------------

Yea, thats the rule of things in Florida....makes you wonder why there is a lot if turn over in security jobs here. Beside the pay, it's the work environment.

The armed chief at the church has a D/G license. He even considered me for a P/T job there because he wanted one more armed "SR". Officer. But I never bothered to apply because you had to be a "dynamic Christian" to even work there let alone attend. Go figure, bible in one hand and a gun in the other.
      My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
        "Usually, in cases like that... You're not there to actually protect anything, you're there to satisfy an insurance requirement. They trust you and your employer about as far as they could throw the office your employer works out of."

------------------------------------

Yea, thats the rule of things in Florida....makes you wonder why there is a lot if turn over in security jobs here. Beside the pay, it's the work environment.

The armed chief at the church has a D/G license. He even considered me for a P/T job there because he wanted one more armed "SR". Officer. But I never bothered to apply because you had to be a "dynamic Christian" to even work there let alone attend. Go figure, bible in one hand and a gun in the other.
        I wonder how he justifies to the state (as required under state law) that he needs that gun if the others don't.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          I wonder how he justifies to the state (as required under state law) that he needs that gun if the others don't.
          I never got around to asking him that. He wears plain clothes but has a patch on his shirt and wears a paddle open carry. And his badge attached to his belt. The office is very well equipped. Along with bikes, carts and W/T's with shoulder mikes.

Comment

Remember, here at my hospital we only have one Armed Officer. 40 hours a week nothing more. There is no inclination to arm the rest of us. The one they have now is a separate contract (still TWC). If they go to 24/7 armed officers they will bring in other people and we will still be there as well.

I generally don't have a problem with this set up except for 2 things. Right now the armed officer does not fall under our supervision. I can't tell him what to do and he can't tell me what to do. Problem with that is he thinks he's better than us and tries to boss my people around. My people have been instructed that if he tries to order them around to tell him to contact their supervisor. He's just plain an (darn censor) and none of our officers (or supervisors) can stand him. Problem? All the doggone nurses and hospital staff love him (with a few exceptions). They think he's the only one that can do anything around the hospital. We've had unarmed security at this hospital for 37 years and all of a sudden its like we've never even been there. The bad part is that his job is to be a visual deterrent, stay in the ER and assist as needed. I know I helped write the contract. He goes all over the place, responds to code (why do we need an armed officer to respond to a code blue (med emergency) in inpatient CT which is a ways from the er but when I'm responding to a disturbance call can't even get him to answer the radio?), grabbing a visitor because she was running in the hall, sticking his nose into every little trauma that comes into the ER, oh and lets not forget to mention sitting in a room watching a doctor do sutures for 45 mins (pt was not combative and was just laying there).

This guy has been let go from every major LE agency in this area and know we're stuck with him. Heck now I'm starting to get burnt out because everytime I go to the ER I think I'm going to choke him!

Comment

My downtown hotel has an office with the Director;s office inside. Since the Director no longer works from the hotel but rather from Head Office (where he has a cubicle) we use it mostlyu for storage. We also have 2 rooms across from the office. 1 has a washroom & both are used to store the large amount of lost & found as well as parts for the electronic locks since we are in charge of maintaining them.

One of my hotels by the airport also has an office. The other one has a closet. We use the Manager's or secretary's desk. Since there is only overnight Security & only us & 1 Night Auditor, there is plenty of room.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Since I do patrol, my vehicle is my office.

My expreience has been that making sure security has an office is not on the blimp screen of priorities

Comment

Yea, we have an office. Its kind of small. ! section is a room with all the cameras, alarms, etc. An office for the Security Manager, An office for the Assistant Security Manager and Supervisors and an area for the Security Officers to work.

Originally posted by Christopherstjo
                  My expreience has been that making sure security has an office is not on the blimp screen of priorities
                  Very true statement. Companies want the presence of security but have no concept of it. I have a uniform/equipment room. I was just told last week that management is in the process of renting it out. This means another room at the other end of the mall that houses all the housekeeping machines and their stuff will have to be remodeled or something to accomodate the uniforms and other gear. I am sure if they could rent out the Security Office they would.
                  "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
                    Very true statement. Companies want the presence of security but have no concept of it.
                    Not only do they have no concept of it; they arrogantly believe they are the experts in it... gggggrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherstjo
                      Not only do they have no concept of it; they arrogantly believe they are the experts in it... gggggrrrrrrr
                      Yup. I wish at my mall the buck would stop with the Security Manager and he would report to the Corporate Director of Security. Instead we report to someone else with no security experience. Too many "chiefs"...
                      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Interesting. My area is the same with about 144 others. All do the same operation for the exception of one thing. The area I work we have no office. The other 142 do. The state was bidding on renovations for the surrounding area including a building just for us. So far two other sites got bids for standard renovation. And to really get the blood boiling they not only renewed a contract with G4S in another area but the CPOs there got a raise. Last year we got the best reviews. Maybe they think we are doing such a good job as is we don't need anything. Gesh. Liberal politics at work.

Comment

At BHR we have our own little security office.

We have a couple desks with all of our SOP books, and a computer with internet access. It also contains our refridgerator and our Nextel phone chargers and other security items such as the Velocity Keycards and metal door keys box.

When we are doing our shift reports and have security critical info, we can lock ourselves in the office as there is no windows for people to peer in on us.
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                            When we are doing our shift reports and have security critical info, we can lock ourselves in the office as there is no windows for people to peer in on us.
                            We removed the curtains from our office windows because some Officers tended to doze off on quiet nights.
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

We have a mian office that we brief in and do training in. This is where all our vehicles, computers etc... are kept. We report here before shift and pick up ur equipment , Brief then depart in company marked cars. The office has our dispatch, VDirectors, Comanders office, Restrooms, Training/ Briefing room, Mail boxes, and Office to do reports in. The rest of the shift we are in our cars. We can return to the office for lunch or what ever but we are in the car most of the shift. We do have a small substatiuon at one of the complexes we partol. We share this with the police. It is an apartment with restroom , kitchen etc.. There are couches haere and what not. You can take a break here if you are working south patrol.
                              Robert
                              Here endith the lesson

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X