Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTGuard
    replied
    I am not on facebook but I have a myspace account which I have just very basic info posted and haven't been to it in months.

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    I'm careful what I share, and have it locked pretty tightly. Overall, though, I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Not me... I believe people are sharing way too much information over the web these days

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    I know I'm dragging up a fairly old thread, but I wondered who on here is on facebook. I've only recently started using it, and have the privacy settings set fairly high. If anyone else is on, though, and would like to be in touch, send me a pm.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    Originally posted by securitypro View Post
    Where are you licensed as a private investigator?
    Prior to working in private security, I was a private investigator for a licensed firm in the metro area. Does that answer your question?

Leave a comment:

• JB diligence
    replied
    Interesting thread!

I am on face book. I keep my privacy setting fairly high i.e. friends of friends may view my profile, but I can't be found by "searching" unless there is software that can do such (which there in no doubt in my mind is, though I don't know about it). I post little if anything regarding my job and don't have my address and phone/cell numbers posted (try the phonebook). I wouldn't post pics of embarrassing situations because I don't allow them to happen in the first place.

I can see FB as an investigation tool for sure! Providing that your target has little personal security concern or concept of such, and if there is or are software and or programs available that can breach the subjects privacy settings then it indeed FB IS a great Intel tool, for both sides. We need to remember that we must not ever underestimate our subject OR enemies capabilities (known or unknown) as they may be gathering Intel on us as well, where we work, who for and so on, for whatever reason. For the singles in the group, it may also be beneficial that the "secret admirer can see that we are indeed single yet that to can have it's down falls" .

As far as potential employers be it LE agencies or otherwise, looking at face book for Intel on some one, I see it as fair game just like anyone else checking out your profile. What better reference tool really. So lets face it (pardon the pun), we made our profile freely to GIVE information to people. If you have an issue with that then A. upgrade your privacy settings or, B. Get off Face book, simple as that.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• stangtattoo
    replied
    When Myspace first began it was in the top ten of sites that were easily hackable. Now they have added extra measures of security such as captcha ,name birthdate ,etc to be able to post coments etc. Not only are there those simple updates but the mainframe has also been updated to prevent hacking into the Myspace database to obtain member indentification. Myspace is not only for teeny boppers but many celebrities ,artist ,and American "heroes" also use Myspace as a means ,and a good one ,to reach their fans in a semi personal way. Myspace has also been used for the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to communicate with their loved ones over a "secure" means of contact ,something Facebook cannot boast.

Leave a comment:

• mjw064
    replied
    Originally posted by Chucky View Post
    Oh mjw I forgot to tell you . Chris Hansen from Dateline called and wanted me to ask you if you would give him a call regarding the above. Thanks
    It wasn't those types of pics. It was pics of me at a party.

Leave a comment:

• Act 235 Agent
    replied
    I have a facebook its a ok site more people on there then myspace though

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Myspace can be just as private as Facebook. I have found the Facebook is more for the college aged and older crowd. Heck, I have run across a lot of people that I work with on Facebook that are in their 40's, 50's, and even a couple in their 60's. A lot of the professional folks at my work have Facebook pages, including a Senior Vice President in his early 60's.

I would say that Myspace is more for the teeny bopper crowd up to colleged aged. Of course, there are some older people on Myspace too.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
    MySpace is an open network, so everyone can see everyone else's information. MySpace also seems to attract a dumber element, and so there is more useful information there.

On a personal level, I hate MySpace with a passion. Someone once asked me why I don't have a MySpace account. I find myself talking to that person less and less.
    1. My page is set to private, so there is some level of privacy.

2. I resemble that remark...

3. I have come across a lot of old friends on Myspace.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Originally posted by gixxer32404
    Myspace seems to be more informative.
    I am on Myspace. I only have one friend that is on facebook, the rest are on myspace. I don't know if that makes me a loser with few friends or what...

Leave a comment:

• gixxer32404
    replied
    Originally posted by TACTICAL 785 View Post
    See I think its stupid, the employers would do that. what business of it is there what you do with your friends on your off time. So what if you have pictures of you passed out and someone staking beers cups on you...

At least they know your a fun person...
    You are joking right???? The employer has the right to hire who they wish. If you have comments that you hate this certain race.You are listed as homosexual.You have pics of your self drinking with friends and minors. You have pics of you and your 4 foot marijuanna plants. You think the employer shouldn't use all available resources to make sure you are a proper fit????

A lady here posted on craigslist that she was an employer. And that if they search your email through myspace and discover you are are homo, racist, with a drug problem,u won't get the job lol.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by davis002 View Post
    How do you use it as an investigative resource? I can see someone using it to stalk that cute bartender that goes to the local college, but any real investigative purpose???, I don't see it. I'm a licensed private investigator, so feel free to cue me in on the secret
    Where are you licensed as a private investigator?

Leave a comment:

• SoCal Public Safety
    replied
    I agree social networking sites can be a great way to find out info on people. I usually do a search on prospective new hires.

On a side note, I'm not sure about elsewhere in the country, but the local PDs around here ask for your login info when you're in background for an LEO job. They even have the website administrators bring up archives of anything you recently deleted, just to make sure you didn't "clean house" once you went into background.

I don't know, I guess it's a nice way to keep in touch with old friends, but again, there are A LOT of wierdos on there...

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X