X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by Razor View Post
    Indeed! A buddy from the 3rd Ranger Bat shared this bit. This is how I survived Benning and Somalia, and every BBQ since. A pack of matches in every U.S. MRE.
    It's the sulfur. We have sulphur in some of our wells here. The city water in the town I grew up in has sulfer in it. My Dad swears it keeps the ticks off when you sweat. The only problem is that warm sulphur water smells kind of like rotten eggs, or bad farts But that's why the matches help (by having sulfur, not by hiding farts). BTW, sulphur is one of the oldest pesticides used in agriculture.

Yes, I know I spelled it 2 different ways. The spelling sulphur is for our members in some of the British Commonwealth countries, while in the USA we use sulfur, and Australia, Canada and others use both.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Here's the bad news guys. Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, so as long as there is a warm body thats breathing there will be mosquitos.

Here are some more answers:

Why mosquitoes are attracted to you
    Scientists still don’t fully understand the subtle chemistry of what attracts mosquitoes to humans. However, entomologists are certain that the following are mosquito attractants:
    Carbon dioxide and other chemicals in the breath that you exhale
    Chemicals your body emits
    Body heat
    Visual cues such as color, size and contrast
    Movement

Mosquitoes are very effective at reproducing

Attracting, trapping and killing just one female mosquito at the start of mosquito season can prevent the birth of up to 25,000 more mosquitoes that season alone!

The importance of water

All mosquitoes need water to complete their lifecycles. Some mosquito species lay their eggs directly on the surface of water. Others lay drought-resistant eggs into containers or depressions in the ground – then, when the area is flooded by rainfall or another water source, the eggs are able to hatch.

Mosquito activity in cold weather

Many mosquitoes are able to hibernate in cold winter months. Their development ceases, and they remain still and inactive. Once temperatures rise in the spring and summer, the hibernating mosquitoes and mosquito eggs become active again.

What mosquitoes eat

Mosquitoes rely on sugar as their main source of energy. Both male and female mosquitoes feed on plant nectar, fruit juices, and liquids that ooze from plants.

Blood for reproduction

Females mosquitoes lay multiple batches of eggs and require a blood meal for every batch they lay. Male mosquitoes do not lay eggs – as a result, male mosquitoes don’t require blood meals, and therefore, do not bite.

Most mosquitoes die before they are able to bite and take a blood meal. In general, mosquitoes that do live to reproduce are only able to take one blood meal before they, too, are killed or die naturally.

Why mosquito bites hurt

Mosquito bites leave welts and itch because when females bite they salivate into the wound. Proteins in the saliva facilitate the taking of the blood meal by preventing the blood platelets from coagulating and by dilating blood vessels. The welts that appear after the mosquito leaves are not a reaction to the wound but an allergic reaction to the saliva injected to prevent clotting.

Leave a comment:

• mad_malk
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Heat is effective for mosquito bites. A hot cup of coffee, pressed onto the bite site (the cup, not the coffee) for a few moments, will destroy the toxin.
    Was gonna say my field remedy for skeeter bites is warming up a lighter frame and pressing it to the bite. the heat takes out the sting.

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    My station is near the Green Swamp on I-4 so the insects are of all shapes, types and sizes. The worst are the flying ants (they bite here), the mosquitoes here sound like humming birds and then there's the giant flying cock roach that requires a run way. Repellents though however I can't handle. Some of these ointments and stuff that you have to put on your body. I ether break out, sneeze all day or get the jitters. I do use one of those lanterns but they are expensive! There is a small fan to cool us down during the day but at night the fan only seems to make them run into you harder. The giant bug zappers run 24/7 and put on some show but to bad they can't zap mosquitoes.

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
    ever though use can clear out tear gas?
    joking
    i remenber old ranger trick eat afew match heads
    i try it and work for me and i live in louisiana where mosquitoes size snip
    if know what snip is you get 50 points

sgt koolaid

oh ya
    Indeed! A buddy from the 3rd Ranger Bat shared this bit. This is how I survived Benning and Somalia, and every BBQ since. A pack of matches in every U.S. MRE.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
    Unfortunately, those blood-sucking "varmints" are back - even in CT. Why do people like summer??

- Wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, mosquitoes & spiders
    - Ticks & Lyme disease
    - Hot & humid
    - Severe thunderstorms & tornados
    - Sunburn
    - More trouble when people hang out - rowdy
    - Higher dry cleaning bill
    - Food poisoning

Did I miss anything? I'll take winter over summer any year.
    Being from Texas, there's no real way to tell the difference down here. At least summer brings some consolation in the form of an explanation for the heat

Leave a comment:

• Security
    replied
    I'll take winter over summer any year.
    Wow, and here I thought I was the only one that thought this way!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Unfortunately, those blood-sucking "varmints" are back - even in CT. Why do people like summer??

- Wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, mosquitoes & spiders
    - Ticks & Lyme disease
    - Hot & humid
    - Severe thunderstorms & tornados
    - Sunburn
    - More trouble when people hang out - rowdy
    - Higher dry cleaning bill
    - Food poisoning

Did I miss anything? I'll take winter over summer any year.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    I've got a sure fire method my Uncle told me when I was a little boy:

He told me to splash alcohol on my face, then wipe over a fine layer of sand.

How does that work?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The mosquitoes all get drunk, and then they throw rocks at each other!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Something from Air Force days for treating insect bites - a small amount of meat tenderizer. Worked like a charm! While stationed in Morocco we were told to place our shoes on special pegs mounted on the walls of our Dallas Huts because there were so many nasty scorpions about. And never, but never walk to or from the shower hut in bare or stocking feet for the same reason.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Squidly
    replied
    NRM OZ and Mr security I can relate!!
    Back to the question....Here in the tropics (Northern territory, Aus) we have mozzies the size of B-52 bombers and suck litres at a time.

DEET is ok but has side effects.
    A home brew of a bottle of baby oil and quarter part eculyptus oil will keep the bities away - Guarenteed!!
    They cant stand the oily bit or the smell, aboriginals just used gum leaves and has moderate sucess.

Also Avoid females, and NEVER use perfumes or deodorents.... mozzies love sweet smells...SERIOUS!!

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Actually if I recall correctly, my mother used to do this when I was a kid (not to me since you spat on it to take the itch away).

Worst bite I ever had was a white-tail spider (gave me a blister the size of a 50 cent piece on my ankle when I was renovating a friend's house and bit me above my sock line on my boots (go the Blunnies). Filled with liquid and made me feel a bit sick for 2 days (then I read in the paper it can be fatal a week later).

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Heat is effective for mosquito bites. A hot cup of coffee, pressed onto the bite site (the cup, not the coffee) for a few moments, will destroy the toxin.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    I meant to get back to this post some time ago, but it slipped my mind. Australia is the last place you will find me. Funnel-webs, red backs, etc.

If I had no choice but to work security there, I would definitely be converted to armed security, preferably with a flame thrower!!
    LOL oddly enough the 'daddy long legs' spider a most un-intimidating creature I must say, actually use the red back spider (and others) as their food source... isn't nature wonderful? and certainly a very good reason why children should be taught not to harm the 'daddy longlegs' spiders

That 'clicker' sounds familiar there NRM' local hoodlums used something similar (sourced from other people's hot water systems) to score free games on video arcade machines... wonder if they'll get pulled from circulation when some child genius modifies one to be used as a personal tazer? LOL

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    My other 1/2 was calling me a few weeks back as if she had won Lotto or found oil in the backyard. She found some funnel web holes and I had told her to drench the hole with Kerosene and light it - bit of an Aracnoid BBQ but before she could do that the bugger came out coughing up Kero. They can live underwater for few days so you always check a pool in summer before diving in, never leave shoes or boots outside and be good to your mother. I saw something on TV recently which was like a sparker on a gas heater. You placed in on a mozzie bite and let it click a spark onto your skin - stops the itch by confusing your brain. About $15 US and had some 20k uses.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X