Mosquitoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosquitoes & Spiders Dying

I've waited 6 months for this cold weather to get here. Now I can go outside anytime I want w/o getting bit.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
      I've waited 6 months for this cold weather to get here. Now I can go outside anytime I want w/o getting bit.
      New and Improved freezing weather impervious insects mean that we'll be itching for months.

Also, stock up on hydrocortizone. I know I have mine, it kills the itching outright.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
        New and Improved freezing weather impervious insects mean that we'll be itching for months.

Also, stock up on hydrocortizone. I know I have mine, it kills the itching outright.
        Maybe that's why I saw spiders all the way into last December.

Comment

Great... rub it in! the warmer weather is here now, the bugs are a flyin' & the creepy-crawlies are a creepin'

Spiders? big old huntsman or the jumping wolf spiders are what I tend to come across most... quick reflexes & a hard soled boot make short work of those beasties!

Mozzies? well I'll have to break out the aerogaurd (or similar), a lighter & can of flammable aerosol clear a nice path too! LOL
          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard that vinegar works. Someone told me she ingested a little vinegtar each day, and got no bites all summer. Of course, she smelled like a salad...

We don't really get colder weather in Texas, we get less hot weather. I swear, at one point in early fall the weather forecasters were talking about "cold fronts" that would take us all the way down to 90degrees. It'll start to cool off in January, for about four to eight weeks.
            That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Mosquitos?

Unless they are sucking chiwawa's dry... i don't want to hear it.

And as for cold... my department issued cold weather gear goes to -140....
              Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

I used to use a topical home remedy an old boy gave to me from his army days. It had a garlic extract in it and did not smell too badly. I think the worst for me was the bloody flies that Australia has the whole population of. Even during an outdoor ceremony last week the old Aeroguard comes out to let me stand there with dignity as the guest speaker is spitting out flies trying to deliver his speech.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

In Georgia, we have these huge 'skeeters! I talking Grandaddy longleg spider lookin' things.

Never mind the 'skeeters tho, I cannot stand the huge waterbugs (roach lookin' things) that come around in the summertime! **shudder**
                  It takes an officer to screw up to make a really good officer.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
                    ever though use can clear out tear gas?
                    joking
                    i remenber old ranger trick eat afew match heads
                    i try it and work for me and i live in louisiana where mosquitoes size snip
                    if know what snip is you get 50 points
                    sgt koolaid
                    oh ya
                    The match heads have sulfer on them. Around here we sometimes have sulfer water in the wells. The city water (small town) where I grew up was sulfer water. Smells like rotten eggs when it's warm. Not much smell or taste when itp's ice cold. Anyway, my Dad swears it keeps the ticks & chiggers & skeeters off when you sweat sulfer.

Originally posted by officerchick View Post
                    I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard that vinegar works. Someone told me she ingested a little vinegtar each day, and got no bites all summer. Of course, she smelled like a salad...
                    I tried drinking vinegar daily to prevent migraine headaches. That was rough. And I like vinegar things, like salt & vinegar chips, etc. But drinking straight vinegar.....
                    sigpic
                    Rocket Science
                    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                      Great... rub it in! the warmer weather is here now, the bugs are a flyin' & the creepy-crawlies are a creepin'

Spiders? big old huntsman or the jumping wolf spiders are what I tend to come across most... quick reflexes & a hard soled boot make short work of those beasties!

Mozzies? well I'll have to break out the aerogaurd (or similar), a lighter & can of flammable aerosol clear a nice path too! LOL
                      I meant to get back to this post some time ago, but it slipped my mind. Australia is the last place you will find me. Funnel-webs, red backs, etc.

If I had no choice but to work security there, I would definitely be converted to armed security, preferably with a flame thrower!!

Comment

My other 1/2 was calling me a few weeks back as if she had won Lotto or found oil in the backyard. She found some funnel web holes and I had told her to drench the hole with Kerosene and light it - bit of an Aracnoid BBQ but before she could do that the bugger came out coughing up Kero. They can live underwater for few days so you always check a pool in summer before diving in, never leave shoes or boots outside and be good to your mother. I saw something on TV recently which was like a sparker on a gas heater. You placed in on a mozzie bite and let it click a spark onto your skin - stops the itch by confusing your brain. About $15 US and had some 20k uses.

Comment

I meant to get back to this post some time ago, but it slipped my mind. Australia is the last place you will find me. Funnel-webs, red backs, etc.

If I had no choice but to work security there, I would definitely be converted to armed security, preferably with a flame thrower!!
                          LOL oddly enough the 'daddy long legs' spider a most un-intimidating creature I must say, actually use the red back spider (and others) as their food source... isn't nature wonderful? and certainly a very good reason why children should be taught not to harm the 'daddy longlegs' spiders

That 'clicker' sounds familiar there NRM' local hoodlums used something similar (sourced from other people's hot water systems) to score free games on video arcade machines... wonder if they'll get pulled from circulation when some child genius modifies one to be used as a personal tazer? LOL
                          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Heat is effective for mosquito bites. A hot cup of coffee, pressed onto the bite site (the cup, not the coffee) for a few moments, will destroy the toxin.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Actually if I recall correctly, my mother used to do this when I was a kid (not to me since you spat on it to take the itch away).

Worst bite I ever had was a white-tail spider (gave me a blister the size of a 50 cent piece on my ankle when I was renovating a friend's house and bit me above my sock line on my boots (go the Blunnies). Filled with liquid and made me feel a bit sick for 2 days (then I read in the paper it can be fatal a week later).

Comment

NRM OZ and Mr security I can relate!!
                                Back to the question....Here in the tropics (Northern territory, Aus) we have mozzies the size of B-52 bombers and suck litres at a time.

DEET is ok but has side effects.
                                A home brew of a bottle of baby oil and quarter part eculyptus oil will keep the bities away - Guarenteed!!
                                They cant stand the oily bit or the smell, aboriginals just used gum leaves and has moderate sucess.

Also Avoid females, and NEVER use perfumes or deodorents.... mozzies love sweet smells...SERIOUS!!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X