Mosquitoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquitoes

Well, it's that time of the year. I dread the warmer months because of spiders and mosquitoes. I handle the spiders with my ASP, but the mosquitoes are a problem. Every year, New England has a problem with encephalitis transmitted by the mosquito bite. This serious medical threat starts earlier each season as the disease tightens its grip on the area.

DEET is an option, if you don't mind the stink. What do you do, if anything, to keep from becoming "lunch" during your patrols?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Robinson Scent Shield "No Stinkin Bugs" product is an unscented version of Deet that I've found successful. (Note - they also make this in a deliberately "nature-scented" version that some hunters use, so be sure to get the unscented product.)

It's very critical to use totally unscented soap, shampoo and deodorant. Do not chew gum or mints.

It's also very critical to re-apply your repellant after about 4 hours, or even every 2 hours, especially if it's hot and you're sweating.

Good luck!
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
      Robinson Scent Shield "No Stinkin Bugs" product is an unscented version of Deet that I've found successful. (Note - they also make this in a deliberately "nature-scented" version that some hunters use, so be sure to get the unscented product.)

It's very critical to use totally unscented soap, shampoo and deodorant. Do not chew gum or mints.

It's also very critical to re-apply your repellant after about 4 hours, or even every 2 hours, especially if it's hot and you're sweating.

Good luck!
      Thanks for the tip. I will look for that product. The first outdoor patrol that I did today took me to an area where there were 50-some mosquitoes on every exit door that I checked. Between my sweat and exhaling carbon dioxide, I probably had an invisible sign on me that said: Mobile Blood Bank

Comment

I use the lantern with the strips in it. Candle in the lantern heats the strips. Not cheap but it beats a trip to the dock with west nile problems. We have a desk out side for patrons to come up to. It was the states idea, not ours.
        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

The forecast for the next few days in Montreal is snow = no bugs yet! The good thing is that snow at this time of the year melts almost as soon as it reaches the ground.

Anyway there are never too many bugs in a highrise downtown hotel. (Except maybe bedbugs )
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Not too long ago, in my military days, we had to go to the field quite often. Of course we were not entitled to the proper hygiene abilities that society had to offer, so body odor would attract even more buggy issues! I hated it. But what we did to keep the "skeeters" and "tics" off of us while we played in the dirt, was wear pet protectant collars. I know, it sounds strange! We would put a kitty bug repellant collar on each leg, under our blouse leggings, and one under the top collar. If we got really nervous about it, we would even wear them around our wrists.

It kept alot of different bugs from eating us. Something either by "heartguard" or "Pet One Protectant", and a few other brands. But this way you didnt have to apply Deep Woods Off all the time. Deet smells funny and gives you away when you are trying to sneak up on your enemy! In your case, maybe the boss, who knows. But it is a little difficult to converse with people when you smell slightly strange!
            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Mall Director that posting of yours brings back a few memories. It was a custom in some circles to wear cat flea collars in our bloused fatigues to ward off some nasties. Those of us who wore them were required to have blood work to ensure our cholinesterase levels were not affected.
              Small world isn't it!
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                Not too long ago, in my military days, we had to go to the field quite often. Of course we were not entitled to the proper hygiene abilities that society had to offer, so body odor would attract even more buggy issues! I hated it. But what we did to keep the "skeeters" and "tics" off of us while we played in the dirt, was wear pet protectant collars. I know, it sounds strange! We would put a kitty bug repellant collar on each leg, under our blouse leggings, and one under the top collar. If we got really nervous about it, we would even wear them around our wrists.

It kept alot of different bugs from eating us. Something either by "heartguard" or "Pet One Protectant", and a few other brands. But this way you didnt have to apply Deep Woods Off all the time. Deet smells funny and gives you away when you are trying to sneak up on your enemy! In your case, maybe the boss, who knows. But it is a little difficult to converse with people when you smell slightly strange!
                This isn't you, is it?

http://deploymenthealthlibrary.fhp.o...ns%20(154).pdf

Comment

Collars

I tried the collars, but I had this irresistible urge to bark at trespassers...

Comment

Originally posted by T202
                    Blah blah.. Warnings are just for those that are bug friendly! LOL!

Like the military Deet (N.S.N. 12-281-xxxx?), isnt a cancer causing agent now is it? LOL! "Just pour into your laundry soap, and wash those BDU blues away!"

I just made sure to keep my collars away from my skin... I know they arent really healthy! Thats why i wore them close to the outside of the uniform! but you are right... Maybe not suggestable!
                    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Garlic pills help alot!!!

Also they are good for; Lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure, prevent cancer, colds, diabetes, etc.

Comment

I usually catch 9 or 10 mosquitos and crucify them on some toothpicks. Wear one around your neck and set the others out amongst your patrol route. They shall fear you!
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Man versus insects....

Man has been around for thousands of years.
                          Insects have been around for millions of years.
                          Who will win?
                          Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
                          Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Here's a sure fire method my uncle told me a long time ago, to keep those pesky mosquitoes from stinging you:

Splash alcohol on your face, then wipe over a thin layer of sand.

How's that work, you ask?

They all get drunk, and throw rocks at each other!
                            Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

keep the bugs at bay

ever though use can clear out tear gas?
                              joking
                              i remenber old ranger trick eat afew match heads
                              i try it and work for me and i live in louisiana where mosquitoes size snip
                              if know what snip is you get 50 points

sgt koolaid

oh ya
                              CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X