Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to post news stories within US Copyright Law

Also known as "One of the many ways how to avoid my wrath."

Under "US Copyright Law," which is several laws designed to protect copyrighted materials from unlawful distribution or derivative works, there is a much maligned section called "Fair Use."

"Fair Use" allows someone to make derivative works of a copyrighted material for the purposes of review. It allows for other stuff, too, but we'll be working with the "review" portion of the Fair Use clause.

To post a story on SIW's Forums, without simply posting a link and making us wonder, one can quote "a non-substantial portion" of the story or article, with a link to the main source, and the words "(C) Copyright News Source."

I don't really care if people put the words "(C) Copyright News Source" (With News Source being the news source" at the bottom of the post, btw.

Use the top portion of the article, usually the first paragraph, which is called a "slug." You will know it because its like a topic sentience, and it gives the editor an understanding of what it is without reading it. It will give us that same understanding, as well.
    An example of how to get away with quoting the article is:

<LINK>
    Bob Dole Land -- Feb 31st -- The slug goes here. This is the slug.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Will the FBI come & get me in Canada if I break a US copyright law? Free room & board paid by the US Cool
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
      Will the FBI come & get me in Canada if I break a US copyright law? Free room & board paid by the US Cool
      No, but Canada is a member country of the Berne Convention, which means that they'll send mounties.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

HS, we have a nice minimum security Fed prison right here in sunny Pensacola. I can take your reservation now! Would you like a Gulf View room?

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          No, but Canada is a member country of the Berne Convention, which means that they'll send mounties.
          Mounties are cool. I always liked Dudley-Do-Right!
          The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

Funny thing in living in Montreal is that we have very little contact with the Mounties. Quebec is one of the few provinces that has a provincial police force so they do not patrol our highways like other provinces. Small cities use the Provincial police not the RCMP. Even the airport cut them back using security & Montreal police to patrol the terminal buildings. At the most they have a half dozen marked cars in Montreal. They patrol the diplomate sites of foreign countries, a job that used to be done by private security until an incident at a Turkish site by some Armenians.

True, they do enforce federal laws.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X