gonna get armed... watch out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gonna get armed... watch out...

im gonna take an armed class at the end of this month, gonna try to qualify and all that good stuff... only shot a gun once o.O better watch out mr. rangemaster............... im actually serious gonna have a class at the end of the month, gonna attempt to qualify using glock 17(9mm), any suggestions ? ive only shot the gun once before, and never shot a gun proir to that.
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

how much more do armed guards get paid vs unarmed?? I wonder if its worth it one day, ive seen guards from oregon armored/brinks armored deliver money to a ATM machine sometimes.
    Last edited by power2pc; 04-12-2007, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I make almost twice as much going from unarmed to armed. And UPF you may not have a problem with this cause you haven't used a pistol much but the hardest thing for me was and is to keep my trigger finger off the trigger when aiming at the range. Even more dangerous with a Glock as the safety is in the trigger housing. And try to remember to keep your weak hand under your trigger hand so the slide won't cut you. Good luck on your class. Nothing to really worry about. I'm sure you will do good. Oh yea try for an armed contract company as they do pay a little more than the armored companies do. At least around here.
      Last edited by Chucky; 04-12-2007, 03:00 PM.
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by power2pc
        how much more do armed guards get paid vs unarmed?? I wonder if its worth it one day, ive seen guards from oregon armored/brinks armored deliver money to a ATM machine sometimes.
        You never know what you're gonna get with those drivers though... I've seen groups that were sharp looking, alert, and weren't about to be surprised... Then again, I once saw a truck pull up for a delivery that had 3 guys in, uniform shirts untucked, pants AND duty belt sagging down almost to their knees, and they weren't paying attention to anything except the stereo in the truck... Talk about an easy target... Even IF their guns were loaded, I doubt they'd be able to unholster them the way they were hangin down... lol

Generally speaking, armed positions pay better than unarmed... Sometimes not much, sometimes a LOT... Just depends on the area and the company..
        Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
        Originally posted by ValleyOne
        BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
        Shoulda called in sick.
        Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Charger
          You never know what you're gonna get with those drivers though... I've seen groups that were sharp looking, alert, and weren't about to be surprised... Then again, I once saw a truck pull up for a delivery that had 3 guys in, uniform shirts untucked, pants AND duty belt sagging down almost to their knees, and they weren't paying attention to anything except the stereo in the truck... Talk about an easy target... Even IF their guns were loaded, I doubt they'd be able to unholster them the way they were hangin down... lol

Generally speaking, armed positions pay better than unarmed... Sometimes not much, sometimes a LOT... Just depends on the area and the company..
          AMEN on that... sometimes, though, you can find a position like I have that requires you to be certified to be armed, but isn't currently an armed post. I make more than the guys who drive around in the sardine cans with bullseyes on them... and I don't have to have nightmares about the movie "Heat" (Seriously, though... I respect anyone in that buisness... I've got no real intrest in it, because of the percived risk, and low entry-level pay).

As for professional/unprofessional Armored Car staff:

In my case, the night and day difference has been between 2 major chains in this area... one has a bunch of guys who work with us, VERY polietly, and are willing to follow our access control policies to gain access to the ATM machines... their uniforms are always tucked in and they seem rather "with it". Further, several of the regular couriers carry their own semi-auto pistols.

The other Co. makes pickups/deliveries at the onsite catering operator. I've had more than one messenger give me attitude over our access control policies... and I had one even stat complaining that I was delaying him, and that I "should just let him in" while he moved his strond hand to rest on the grip of his .38 revolver. (which was only showing because he'd stuffed his untucked shirt behind the holster). I let him in... because I really didn't know better at the time. These days, my course of action would have been a little different
          The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

I've always been under the idea that if some nice person puts the hand on the handle of their gun, they are about one step away from becoming a deadly force situation. They get to leave, and 911 gets to be called about a man with a gun threatening people with it.

People like that don't realize that's a good way to die.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce
              im gonna take an armed class at the end of this month, gonna try to qualify and all that good stuff... only shot a gun once o.O better watch out mr. rangemaster............... im actually serious gonna have a class at the end of the month, gonna attempt to qualify using glock 17(9mm), any suggestions ? ive only shot the gun once before, and never shot a gun proir to that.

You should be fine. I qualified with a GLOCK 17 and had never shot a handgun before. Once you get used to the GLOCK its a very easy weapon to qualify with. I wouldn't worry about it
              "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
              - General George Patton Jr

Comment

Shotgun will hurt. You'll get over it, though. If you're really lucky, they'll have a Knoxx stock on it. Recoil dampener for the win. If they're making you fire full 3" Magnum slugs, then that's gonna suck. Hopefully, they're smart and using training loads.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  Shotgun will hurt. You'll get over it, though. If you're really lucky, they'll have a Knoxx stock on it. Recoil dampener for the win. If they're making you fire full 3" Magnum slugs, then that's gonna suck. Hopefully, they're smart and using training loads.
                  If you hold the shotgun correctly so that it doesn't "punch" you when it recoils, you greatly minimize the impact. I've been somewhat sore after an extended session with a shotgun, but never traumatized.

Some of the pads help...some don't. Randy Wakeman has an interesting Web page on recoil at this link for those who are interested.
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I am concerned when a person wants to be an armed security officer. I and many other members of this forum have had prior military experience. Some of us have been sworn officers. What concerns me most is the mindset if you are just going to a range to qualify with a particular firearm. Most of us have had stress training and then firing a weapon to get hits on a specific target. Some of us have been through the "shoot - don't shoot" drill. Some of us have had rounds fired at us. Many of us from a military background have been subjected to combat shooting, fire move, adequate cover and what constitutes real cover as opposed to concealment. Once you deploy that weapon, what will be going through your mind. If one must employ deadly force and the action must be immediate, will the mind wonder, will they take that extra breath. Many seasoned LEOs have had accidential discharges that resulted in death or serious bodily harm. Many LEOs and military have been killed by friendly fire. If we have the feeling of invincibility or the gun will make us less fearful in our mission, we need to rethink what we are about to undertake.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                      I am concerned when a person wants to be an armed security officer. I and many other members of this forum have had prior military experience. Some of us have been sworn officers. What concerns me most is the mindset if you are just going to a range to qualify with a particular firearm. Most of us have had stress training and then firing a weapon to get hits on a specific target. Some of us have been through the "shoot - don't shoot" drill. Some of us have had rounds fired at us. Many of us from a military background have been subjected to combat shooting, fire move, adequate cover and what constitutes real cover as opposed to concealment. Once you deploy that weapon, what will be going through your mind. If one must employ deadly force and the action must be immediate, will the mind wonder, will they take that extra breath. Many seasoned LEOs have had accidential discharges that resulted in death or serious bodily harm. Many LEOs and military have been killed by friendly fire. If we have the feeling of invincibility or the gun will make us less fearful in our mission, we need to rethink what we are about to undertake.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill
                      Yes, and there's also the obvious consideration that the armed officer might be more prone to draw first-fire (perhaps from concealment or from a distance) before he even knows he has a problem, and obviously before any of the questions Bill raises come into play.

Proper training, a good vest, and situational awareness are all you have going for you, and sometimes even all of that can be defeated by the three advantages that almost always go to the other side: A willingness to kill, the element of surprise, and the fact that they get to pick the spot where things go down. Analyze just about every cop-shooting video you can find, and you'll see how at least two of those three elements were factors in the cop getting shot.
                      Last edited by SecTrainer; 04-13-2007, 01:10 AM.
                      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

UtahProtectionForce,

Only a solid foundation of training under competent supervision and

massive amounts of practice afterward will set you in the right direction. If

you can manage it, try to contact an instructor or someone else

knowledgeable in the ways of the Glock and have them coach you

constantly until your qualification test.
                        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
                        - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
                        — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                          I've always been under the idea that if some nice person puts the hand on the handle of their gun, they are about one step away from becoming a deadly force situation. They get to leave, and 911 gets to be called about a man with a gun threatening people with it.

People like that don't realize that's a good way to die.
                          I know...now... I didn't really know then.
                          The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

Federal Security is right...

One thing I carry with me, is the concept of ritual training and practice from the military. You know, for the longest time, I dreaded and hated the constant training I did in the military.. I was so habitual and continual, to the point of senselessness.. But then, after heading off to the middle east, my mind changed. I understood the importance fully, of why continual training is so needed. I have taken this method with me, and hold true to it from that point forward.

As for the handgun training... Especailly with a 9mm, you will do fine. Its the larger calibers that can get to be a little more challenging with the recoil issue, LOL! Though I will admit, I will never purchase a 9mm in my life, as the issues that come behind them in defense, but it is better then a 32..LOL!

As for the armored car issue.. No thanks. I commend those that do it, and respect them, but I share the same consensus, whihc is i am really not enthused to float around with that much money, in a vehicle marked for ID that this is whats inside. I watch the ATM guys at my site come and go, and just think about the potential issues that could arise from doing what they do!
                            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I actually prefer the Glock 17. It's a fine weapon one of the hardest parts, IMHO, is breaking old habits. Because you've only fired a gun once you should have no problem. Good luck.
                              Todd

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X