OC or Baton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC or Baton?

Just wondering what is your weapon of choice and what you think works best.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Both have the plusses and minuses. OC, if administered wrong can harm those around you (bystanders, fellow officers, YOU) as it can blow back in your face. If you carry OC, you better be trained to defend yourself should it be used against you. When I was on a Sheriffs Office, we trained with OC and had to complete a defense course in knee & elbow strikes, baton blows, etc before we got the water hose. This was done should we be incapacited by the OC, we can still have a chance and remain as calm as possible.

If you use a baton, you should know where you can/cannot strike someone and if you do, the consequenses of the strike (injury to death).

I like them both. The situation dictates which I will use first. However, at my job there are no weapons allowed so I just got to use my head and be prepared to defend myself the old fashioned way.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Originally posted by joecolerulz
      Just wondering what is your weapon of choice and what you think works best.
      My thought is why are you asking about the two? Are you looking to determine which device you want to utilize?

However, it's hard to really say what one would prefer over the other. OC warrants use in some cases, where a baton would be considered wrongful use. I've only really used my baton to break out windows and reach for things, I couldn't with my arm reach. OC can be a geat tool however, inproper use can result to spending alot of time in court. In some training classes we are often taught the more things you have on your duty belt is simply more things that can be taken and used against you. Some questions raised are if someone gets your OC, or baton what would you do next? and why would you take that action? There are lots of things to consider when having such devices.
      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Both are great tools. But I would definately refer to the DOJ's diagram for the "Use of Force Continuum"..

OC is a soft hand technique, while baton is a hard physical technique.

I personnaly, prefer OC, because after i give a directive or verbal command, OC is next in line, and seems to be less questioned by PD and courts then the baton. We use a foam, which keeps the solution on target, and refrains from environmental contamination. But thats my opinion!

Check out my report on OC in Equipment section of forums.
        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Im just curious what the majority of people think as some people in some countries such as where i live in Australia and places like canada you can only carry a certain weapon and sometimes not even any! Im allowed to carry Baton and Cuffs but personally i would definately prefer OC. Dont have to get as close to the attacker and you can take a few out as the Baton is only good for 1V1 Combat.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Im just curious what the majority of people think as some people in some countries such as where i live in Australia and places like canada you can only carry a certain weapon and sometimes not even any! Im allowed to carry Baton and Cuffs but personally i would definately prefer OC. Dont have to get as close to the attacker and you can take a few out as the Baton is only good for 1V1 Combat.
            I've been in the business for 30 years here in Canada. I,ve been pushing for us to be allowed to use chemical sprays before OC existed! (Back in the days of mace).
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

yeah ive read a few of your posts and feel for you. They can police OC spray in the industry definately but over here in oz the transit police who just patrol the rail network carry baton/handcuffs are pushing to get OC spray and they did a few tests and came across a foam one that will unlikely get bystanders but that is still under discussion and hasnt been issued it.

One of the reason it hasnt been issued is because the police will then be scared that private security guards will be asking for it. Yes that shows how much the police think of us!

Do you guys in canada carry anything? Baton? Handcuffs?

Comment

Makes me love America. Even more makes me love my company. We carry all the gear of teh polcie and are not discouraged to usde it. The policy is that you can use it if needed unlike other places i have heard DONT use it run away . Etc.
                Robert
                Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by Arff312
                  Makes me love America. Even more makes me love my company. We carry all the gear of teh polcie and are not discouraged to usde it. The policy is that you can use it if needed unlike other places i have heard DONT use it run away . Etc.

Lol yeah but in America your more likely to come across a person armed with a firearm compared to Australia

Comment

the Baton is only good for 1V1 Combat.
                    Not necessarily true. If you know proper technique and stay light on your feet, your baton can become a useful tool against multiple assailants. However; it does take a lot of training to utilize it properly.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

In my opinion, no one says you can't use both if the need arises. If a

Security Officer sprays an assailant with O.C. and they aren't too impressed

by it, then utilizing a baton would be a good consideration. If by chance an

assailant somehow got ahold of a Security Officer's baton, then the Security

Officer's baton training should tell him/her that in the wrong hands the baton

could cause great injury or death. In this case a firearm might be

a consideration.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
                      - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
                      — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Lol yeah but in America your more likely to come across a person armed with a firearm compared to Australia
                        30 + years in hotel security in downtown Montreal & I've never seen a gun except those carried by police & armoured car people. Canada has it's good points too! LOL
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                          30 + years in hotel security in downtown Montreal & I've never seen a gun except those carried by police & armoured car people. Canada has it's good points too! LOL
                          Amen!! Back to the question: Both have their place in enforcement.
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I perfer OC since I can stand a distance to use it

Comment

Here here.. I am not too fond of getting "touchy feely"! LOL
                              Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X