How would you handle this situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you handle this situation

You are working a security event, and are posted at a location near the back entrance, where you will be working most of the night. You are given specific instructions that no one is allowed to get through this entrance on any circumstances. At one point during your shift a man approaches you, and indicates that he must get through, and that he is the President of the company that contracted your security company to work that post.
    How would you proceed with this situation ?

I'd probably ask the guy from corporate ID, record the name and let him through. It's a bad security practice, but since some companies change guard companies more often than they change underwear, it's probably best not to risk pissing the top people off.

Comment

Are these school projects?

If he is the President, he should have a business card and photo ID and be polite when re directed around to the other door. Advise your Supervisor, prepare written notes.

I would imagine this sort of thing happens often at theaters, sporting events and concerts by people trying to get in for free. ( or even worse, cause harm to others)
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by JL_7
        You are working a security event, and are posted at a location near the back entrance, where you will be working most of the night. You are given specific instructions that no one is allowed to get through this entrance on any circumstances. At one point during your shift a man approaches you, and indicates that he must get through, and that he is the President of the company that contracted your security company to work that post.
        JL_7, you were given specific instructions that NO ONE is allowed to get through this entrance on any circumstances. I am assuming, bad thing to do, they were verbal instructions. Your supervisor may have some wiggle room in that you misunderstood those instructions. Written is always best. I would, and have done so, refused the person entrance citing your orders. The orders were probably issued by the president. Your refusal should cause you any heartburn as you are only doing what you have been instructed to do. Your refusal should garner kudos from both that individual and your supervisor. I would; however, make a verbal and written incident report to your leadership as soon as practicable.
        The other posters may be more pragmatic in their writings.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill
        Last edited by Bill Warnock; 04-10-2007, 07:12 PM. Reason: Missing words

Comment

I have a computer & a printer. How many business cards would you like stating that I'm the owner of the hotel? I would NEVER rely on a business card as id.

Supervisors get paid to take care of problems like this. I would kick it up the food chain!

We had a similar situation once. The Vice President of Operations asked a new Officer to let him into the General Manager's office. He had a crumpled business card in his pocket, My guy called me & told me it looked like the guy had found it on the floor. The Officer had a list of names of Managers of the hotels but an error had been made. The Vice President's name was UNDER the General Manager's.
          The VP was not happy when he spoke to me. (He was known to have a big ego anyway). In the end he admitted that the Officer was right.

Since then during the training of my new staff they are all shown photos of the upper Management/Owners & are explained who is allowed to do what.

We had a bigger problem when the hotel was first bought by it's present owner. He is a Hasidic Jewish man. Staff were ready to give any Hasidic Jewish person anything they wanted, thinking they must have been sent by the owner!
          Last edited by HotelSecurity; 04-10-2007, 07:21 PM.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I would hope that you have a radio... I'd call your boss and bring him into the mix.

punting something up the foodchain isn't always a good idea... but in this case, it seems like a good idea.
            The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

Yeah notify your boss via Radio. So many times have i done what ive been told later to be told "what were you doing" , so no harm to contact your boss and explain the situation.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and everyone stay professional, and be safe out there.

Comment

Well, first, I would instruct the alleged President that [name / title of person] instructed me not to permit anyone entry for any reason. However, I would also inform the alleged President that I will be happy to call someone to come down or otherwise give verbal consent for him / her to gain entry. Of course, I would also request his or her identification, such as a company identification though providing such does not automatically permit his or her entry since for all I know he or she was just fired by the Board of Directors that day.

Then, I would clean out my desk because in situations like this, it is not uncommon for the security officer to be fired or reassigned to another post for doing precisely what they were told to do. The rules always apply to everyone except those that make them or those with influence - its' the double standard contradicting way.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and everyone stay professional, and be safe out there.
                    The above pertains to this thread

Thank you all very much for your input in regards to the above security question. Each one of you was professional in your answers, and kept in mind the liability aspects, and possable allegations of the incident.
                    The above pertains to your previous "Security Question" thread

Now, why is it that I have this nagging feeling that your questions were posed to intentionally test our reactions and answers, rather than because a genuine issue exists? What gives - because I, for one, am not buying that your quesitons were posted because you have a particular problem you are experiencing and needed help addressing.
                    Last edited by Christopherstjo; 04-11-2007, 05:09 AM.

Comment

This is where communication is extremely important. I, never go by that whole "No one gets through" BS unless, we have discussed a special code. If a person doesn't have that code, they aren't coming throught. I could careless who that person was. If it happen to be the President, or the like, i'd simply apologize and refer him to our contact. He wants to discontinue services, no problem we still got paid and he still didn't get access to pass.
                      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

There are always exceptions to that type of rule. Still, such exemptions must be cleared by a supervisor, or if you are the supervisor, by the client representative. If this is not possible, deny entry.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

The person in question should be carrying ID and you have the right to ask for it and verify who they are. If they can't verify who they are they should be told to go away.

An owner or president of any type of a corporation should be carrying ID - If you are un-clear call for the supervisor

Comment

There was a post something like this a long time ago, and my answer to this one is the same as the other:

Better to deny entrance and be wrong than allow entrance and be really wrong.

JohnC
                            Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                            "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Originally posted by exguard
                              The person in question should be carrying ID and you have the right to ask for it and verify who they are. If they can't verify who they are they should be told to go away.

An owner or president of any type of a corporation should be carrying ID - If you are un-clear call for the supervisor
                              What kind of id?
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X