Vests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vests

Does anyone wear a vest on duty? I wear mine religiously to the Hospital and the Mall. In this day and age you can never be too careful.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

yes
    Several of the sites I am posted at REQUIRE the wearing of body armor and tactical belt because of the high risk nature of said sites (arrests, possibility of weapons, etc)

Ben

Comment

Whenever I work CRE posts (normally government housing complexes), I usually wear my vest. I'm doing mall security currently where we're not allowed (those of us Commissioned) to carry a firearm, nor pepper spray, foam or even an Asp... thus I'd feel a bit odd wearing body armor and carrying only a radio, keys holder, hand cuffs and a club sized Maglite on my duty belt. Vests are great but I've found they usually restrict movement waaaaay more than I care for. Even on CRE posts I had to gauge the severity of the enviroment, but for a first deployment to a new site I always wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qarlo X64
        Whenever I work CRE posts (normally government housing complexes), I usually wear my vest. I'm doing mall security currently where we're not allowed (those of us Commissioned) to carry a firearm, nor pepper spray, foam or even an Asp... thus I'd feel a bit odd wearing body armor and carrying only a radio, keys holder, hand cuffs and a club sized Maglite on my duty belt. Vests are great but I've found they usually restrict movement waaaaay more than I care for. Even on CRE posts I had to gauge the severity of the enviroment, but for a first deployment to a new site I always wear it.
        Please look at the flexibility of dragon skin armor.
        Elsewhere in gear on this forum there is some information you might find useful.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Qarlo X64
          Vests are great but I've found they usually restrict movement waaaaay more than I care for.
          So does recovery from surgery to remove a bullet.

IMHO, vests are like guns. You never need one until you need one very badly.

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
            So does recovery from surgery to remove a bullet.

IMHO, vests are like guns. You never need one until you need one very badly.
            Better words have not been spoken.
            I you think a bullet resistant vest restricts your movement, what of a coffin?
            If you are in a situation where you need to have a vest, get one and wear it at all times, going to work, at work and coming back from work.
            It is a long, long way back from dead, in fact it is an unending journey.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

As sad as it is, we are forbidden to wear said item, as our corporation deems it to be an "instigative device" by encouraging the common public to test the items effectiveness!

On the other hand, a blind eye never hurts!
              Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                As sad as it is, we are forbidden to wear said item, as our corporation deems it to be an "instigative device" by encouraging the common public to test the items effectiveness!

On the other hand, a blind eye never hurts!
                I've heard this with weapons, guns, and "police-like" uniforms, but never vests.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Anytime I am in uniform, or working any type of detail, yes even a kids sporting event the vest is warn. Anything can happen at anytime. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but death and taxes.
                  "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I do not wear a vest at BHR. It would just be too far out of place. We try not to have a "police image". We typically wear black cargo pants, slacks, and a polo shirt. Few of us wear duty belts, and they only carry our Nextel, gloves and keys.

When I do armed security for antique auctions for my father, I will vest up usually.

There is a college down the road from here, St. Martins University, who allows their officers to carry OC, but do not let them wear vests because it "makes the campus seem unsafe".
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                      I do not wear a vest at BHR. It would just be too far out of place. We try not to have a "police image". We typically wear black cargo pants, slacks, and a polo shirt. Few of us wear duty belts, and they only carry our Nextel, gloves and keys.

When I do armed security for antique auctions for my father, I will vest up usually.

There is a college down the road from here, St. Martins University, who allows their officers to carry OC, but do not let them wear vests because it "makes the campus seem unsafe".
                      If you wear the new form fitting under the outer garment, you and only those you choose to tell would know you are wearing such a vest. Hopefully the political environment is not that convoluted.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

My hospital buys us a brand new vest for initial issue when we get hired, and then every five years pay $300.00 towards a new one and the rest of the money can come from our uniform alowances. We generally use "Gatorhawk" vests and can either wear them under the shirt or wear the outer carriers over the shirt that are made to look like a normal uniform shirt.
                        Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

I've not seen the need to wear one at work yet... we are not armed, yet (we carry OC and cuffs) and in the 2+ years I've been there, we've not had any incidents where PD needed to be called... we are a relatiely tame office complex.

The day we become armed, I will, however, start wearing my vest, and wear my vest EVERY day.

I own a vest because I bought one to wear on the ambulance... I don't always wear it, but I always have it with me... I keep it in a tactical carrier when I'm not wearing it, so I can put it on at a scene if I feel like it's a good idea.

Yes, I know I should wear it all the time. But I often don't bother, because it is very uncomfortable, espicially in the summer.
                          The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTjon
                            I've not seen the need to wear one at work yet... we are not armed, yet (we carry OC and cuffs) and in the 2+ years I've been there, we've not had any incidents where PD needed to be called... we are a relatiely tame office complex.
                            Tame office complex here too- http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/10/mic....ap/index.html

Honestly, I had more problems with guns being pointed at me/brandished at me/ fired near my site, while working unarmed, waiting for my license, than I have had since starting armed work.

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
                              Tame office complex here too- http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/10/mic....ap/index.html

Honestly, I had more problems with guns being pointed at me/brandished at me/ fired near my site, while working unarmed, waiting for my license, than I have had since starting armed work.
                              If they are busting caps near your site and have weapons pointed at you and I were you, I'd get a vest and wear it with a religious fervor.
                              Being armed in the future is no guarantee you'll be unharmed.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X