It might be interesting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might be interesting!

As most know I work alone & unarmed in a downtown hotel. I've just had 3 days off for the holidays. The last day I worked I woke up a guy found sleeping on the marble floor in the lobby in the corner by the pay phones. He woke up very aggressive, threatening me. He was about 3" taller than me, younger & about the same weight. If we engaged I would have lost. I called for the police via my walkie-talkie. This made him madder but he slowly left the building making threats & jesterers towards me. The police arrived with the flashers on but still took about 4 minutes. He was gone when they arrived.

The next day when I was off he came back to the hotet& went to speak to a manager to complain that I had called the police on him!

The folowing day he came back again. He was bothering guests in the lobby asking for money. My solo Officer on duty approached him & he too was threatened. As the guy slowly left the hotel he picked up some rocks & threw them at the Officer. The police were called again & responded. (10 minutes this time).

I'm working this afternoon. Could ne interesting. (Remember we do not have a TRESPASS TO PROPERTY ACT in Quebec).
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

You can't get in trouble for tresspassing in Quebec?

Comment

hmm interesting one , ive had similar experiances like this as i worked by myself for a while.... I suggest try not to be threatning to him , dont make him aggitated as it will escalate the situation out of control.... But in that sense dont be intimidated dont cower down you are there as you have a job to do so dont cower down and let him walk all over you.

If this was me and i was by myself i would firmly say you are banned from the premises as the there has been complaints to the management about his behaviour but be nice and dont get aggresive. Now if he refuses to leave say the police will be called if he then continues to walk into the hotel i personally would not grab or physically touch him contact the police immedately. Why not grab him? because it can get very bad and you are unarmed i wouldnt put my safety on the line for scum like this. Observe him until the police come if the management complains tell them what do you expect if your unarmed.

I will not go back into security unarmed the world is crazy these days who knows what hes carrying on him he is obviously a low life sleeping in hotels and things of that nature.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

HotelSecurity,

The only advice that I could think to give would be to immediately call the

police when the dirtbag is spotted, and if possible, not approach him until the

police arrive. This way one of two things could happen. The first is that he

will leave without incident when faced with Security and Police. The

second and more interesting would be that the Police would be present to

witness the dirtbag's nastiness toward authority and possibly be placed under

arrest, plus establish a reputation as a real "charmer" with the Police.

After this second possibility, either the dirtbag would leave the premises

with just a glance from you, or the Police would be alot more willing to assist

you with this individual in the future. Just my humble speculations.
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
        - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
        — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

In Quebec we have to ask a trespasser to leave. If they refuse we can "use the force necessary" to physically remove him. If he actively resists only yhen can he be arrested not for trespassing but for "Assault by a trespasser".

BTW after the rock throwing incident a police report was filed so if we can delay him long enough for the police to arrive, without getting hurt, he will be arrested for Uttering threats. &/or armed assault.

Comment

Hotel security

Why not place your suspect in custody for breach of peace or mischief. Under section 494 (b) you have that right "anyone authorized by the owner of property may arrest without warrant for any offense comited on or in relation to the property" (Canadian Criminal Code Section 494 b). I don't know how it is in Quebec but if a suspect was throwing rocks at our security personal he would quickly find himself placed under arrest.

Just my 2 cents worth

Ben

Comment

OC him, toss him in a snowbank, cuff him (for his own safety and yours), call the Gendarmerie, and have him processed for aggravated assault (rocks?)...

Better yet, tell him if he doesn't leave the premises, you'll stick Ipod earphones on him and make him listen to Celine Dion's version of AC/DC's "All night long"... all night long....

(Wha? Bustin' on Celine? What's that all aboot?)
              Last edited by flashlightcop509; 04-08-2007, 09:29 AM.
              “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
              "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by Defensive tactics
                Hotel security

Why not place your suspect in custody for breach of peace or mischief. Under section 494 (b) you have that right "anyone authorized by the owner of property may arrest without warrant for any offense comited on or in relation to the property" (Canadian Criminal Code Section 494 b). I don't know how it is in Quebec but if a suspect was throwing rocks at our security personal he would quickly find himself placed under arrest.

Just my 2 cents worth

Ben
                Yes I have the right to arrest but I'm alone, unarmed. He keeps disappearing before the police arrive. I think my best bet will be not to approach him but to observe him until the police arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509
                  OC him, toss him in a snowbank, cuff him (for his own safety and yours), call the Gendarmerie, and have him processed for aggravated assault (rocks?)...

Better yet, tell him if he doesn't leave the premises, you'll stick Ipod earphones on him and make him listen to Celine Dion's version of AC/DC's "All night long"... all night long....

(Wha? Bustin' on Celine? What's that all aboot?)

It's Canada. I'm not allowed OC.

And the snowbanks are gone at this time of year.

Anyway I start work in less than 2 hours & will deal with him when he show up.

Comment

Is there anyway you can film this guy when he is on your property ?

I'd film him then take said evidence to the local authority and swear out a warrant for his arrest(or whatever it is you do out there). Yeah it's time consuming but then again you have built a solid case and have not gotten injured..

Keep us posted...
                    Last edited by gonzo1510; 04-08-2007, 01:48 PM. Reason: Speeling, I meant spelling
                    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

www.patrol4u.com

sigpic

Comment

Maybe calling your PD prior to making contact yourself.. This way you have the element of surprise in numbers on him.. Let the sleeping dog lay, then as the patrol cars arrive, rush over to him and start your initial contact with him. As he gets wound up, PD officers walk in to see a very aggitated male subject of obsurd size threatening you.. "Its his birthday, light his candle and let the show begin!".. LOL!
                      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                        Maybe calling your PD prior to making contact yourself.. This way you have the element of surprise in numbers on him.. Let the sleeping dog lay, then as the patrol cars arrive, rush over to him and start your initial contact with him. As he gets wound up, PD officers walk in to see a very aggitated male subject of obsurd size threatening you.. "Its his birthday, light his candle and let the show begin!".. LOL!
                        Are you reading my mind? This is how I work! We are located on the last street of one of the 2 busiest police districts in downtown Montreal. Police response, even for situations like violent aggressive people is almost always at least 4 or 5 minutes. These idiots we deal with sometimes calm down by the time the police get here & they don't want to deal with them, simply telling them to leave. I tell my staff to do what you described above just when they see the police car pulling up!

BTW I also called the station & asked if they could advise the patrolling units. They will, if possible, give the hotel a special attention during the evening when he has been passing by.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X