Injured on on duty - What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured on on duty - What to do?

Ok here is the deal. I got hurt on duty today. I was assisting the Mall Manager push a rack of stanchions (see pic to see what I am talking about). Long story short, EMS transported me to an area hospital and I had a 1" laceration that required 3 staples to close and a cat scan to be safe. All is ok. The heavy steel base of the stanchion, weighing about 50 lbs or so, is what nailed me. If it nailed me dead on, it would have been worse as there is a big bolt there in the center. The edge of the stanchion got me.

So now I got to file for workers comp. Anyone have any problems with this?
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

I think all we can say is that you should follow your doctor's orders in terms of your fitness to return to duty, or modified duty. Workers Comp is there for a reason and if you need it, you need it.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I am glad that you are okay now fireemspolice.

This reminds me of my days in Vietnam. It was crazy..grenades and and gunshots EVERYWHERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasta

This reminds me of my days in Vietnam. It was crazy..grenades and and gunshots EVERYWHERE!
        Pushing a rack of stanchions reminds me of Vietnam, too. Yup, the VC were forever charging us with racks of stanchions. The air was thick with stanchions. You couldn't see 6 inches in front of your nose for all the stanchions flying around. I still wake up in a cold sweat from stanchion nightmares.

Where did you serve, the Ho Chi Minh K-Mart?
        Last edited by SecTrainer; 04-07-2007, 10:52 PM.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Yeah. I think that's why they call it: WAR
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

If you pi**ed off the people you were serving with like you like to pi** off us, it's possible it was your own people shooting at you! They weren't good shots were they?
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

My concern is did this fall into the realm of your standard duties? If not, you may be in for a rough go. While it may be nice to help the manager with a problem, if this is not part of your duties, you should not be doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                If you pi**ed off the people you were serving with like you like to pi** off us, it's possible it was your own people shooting at you! They weren't good shots were they?
                I was a medic, and yes I pissed off the other soldiers severly. They shot at me many times. I know, hard to beleive considering that us medic were needed.

But I am very, very, tough. There was even one occasion when someone ripped me off for $30 so I killed everyone in my platoon and everyone that I know ...because I just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman
                  My concern is did this fall into the realm of your standard duties? If not, you may be in for a rough go. While it may be nice to help the manager with a problem, if this is not part of your duties, you should not be doing it.
                  They only had 1 maintenance guy working and he was tied up. The mall expects us to be Security as well as housekeeping and maintenance sometimes. Basically, we help out in all areas. Its not the 1st time. Talking to one of my other officers, he stated last year the same thing happened to him, only his head didnt get busted open. Last time I pushed this rack, one fell off and nailed by foot. Luckily, my boot took the brunt of most of it.

Comment

All expense paid sojourn to the wonderful City of Minh... The gunshots were resulting of shoppers vying for the latest "Rice Paddy Kid" doll...

The bestseller so far has been "Nguyen No Teeth"... Buy two, get a vintage 1960 AK-47 for free....
                    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

I was a medic, and yes I pissed off the other soldiers severly. They shot at me many times. I know, hard to beleive considering that us medic were needed.

But I am very, very, tough. There was even one occasion when someone ripped me off for $30 so I killed everyone in my platoon and everyone that I know ...because I just don't care.
                      I hate to interrupt your "war story," but it's time for your medication again.

Comment

Can we please get back to the original post?

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
                          Can we please get back to the original post?
                          Honestly, I don't know what else we can add w/o belaboring the issue. You had an accident; you were performing duties expected of you, and you filed a comp. claim which is what you needed to do. I don't see any other problems based on what you told us.

Comment

Here's what's going to happen, if you filed a worker's comp claim.

1. Your company won't fight it, because they know you can prove its part of your expected duties for the job position, or they just don't fight em for whatever reason.

2. The company will fight the claim, stating that your job was not to help a manager do anything related to that... And you'll have to fight them in front of a worker's compensation administrative hearing. They may discipline or terminate you for performing non-specified duties. That's fightable, as well.

That's about it. You get to wait, see, and recover.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
                              Pushing a rack of stanchions reminds me of Vietnam, too. Yup, the VC were forever charging us with racks of stanchions. The air was thick with stanchions. You couldn't see 6 inches in front of your nose for all the stanchions flying around. I still wake up in a cold sweat from stanchion nightmares.

Where did you serve, the Ho Chi Minh K-Mart?
                              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X