Training scenarios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training scenarios?

Bear with me if this has been done before...

I'm looking for new training scenarios.

-When I go shooting in the mountains (as long as it's NOT snowing, Brian), I like to do a little stress shooting....Running high-steps in place for 60 seconds, 20 pushups, spinning in place with eyes closed and then onto target for 2 rounds, things like that.

-I've been following something Bill wrote once, and shooting 3x a week with a Co2 BB gun, 5x a week when I can't get to the range. I set up targets in the house, multiple targets, hostage stuff, moving (boy hiding around the corner pulling a target on a string), etc.

-Pie plates, spinners, and even charcoal (great reactive targets for distance).

-A friend who has a heavy bag has let me work on it for elbow, knee and palm-heel strikes, and we set up a taped bag for batons.

-I bought some inert OC trainers for the wife, we use it in scenarios- multiple attackers, from the car, from the bed, etc.

-Constantly thinking "what if...?"

-Something I saw in a magazine...I set the alarm on my cell to go off different times every day, and when it does, play the "What if...Where's an escape route...Cover?...Concealment?...Etc"

Any more ideas?

"What if " exercises keep the mind going and your reflexes sharpened. I had an Air Force NCO who out of the blue would ask, Warnock, this happened or you see this, what would you do? Best have a good answer for this NCO. It went to the extent when I was standing at a urinal, and he burst in and started the routine. He did it to all the trainees. I look back on those times and have to thank that long dead NCO. My first civilian police supervisor was much the same way, what if, what if. I also thank that now dead police chief for sharing his learned wisdom with all of us.
    We have a moral obligation to do that to all our trainees and those who might be on shift with us as our equals. We need to know how they will react and we best know how the will or might react.
    What are you going to say to the wife, brother, mother, etc., etc. That came from Air Force Training.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

These are some great training ideas, guys. I'm going to implement them into my own routine. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
        from the bed, etc.
        That might bite you in the rear someday
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Will,

I have found this to be a good course as far as stress training is

concerned. At the start of an alarm or buzzer the operator (trainee):

(1) sprints a small distance to a chain-link fence and climbs or jumps over.

(2) crawls through a very large pipe of approximately 20 feet in length.

(3) sprints over a small mound and stops within a designated space.

(4) loads a rifle and takes a standing shot at a target set up at one hundred

yards and switches the rifle to "safe".

(5) sprints and positions him/herself within a wooden enclosure with an

opening on the bottom of the front side that forces the operator to go

prone, and takes a rifle shot at the same target at one hundred yards.

Again the rifle is switched to "safe".

(6) sprints and positions him/herself within a second wooden enclosure with

an opening in the middle of the front side that forces the operator into

a squatting or sitting position, and takes a rifle shot at the same target

at one hundred yards. The rifle is again switched to "safe".

(7) sprints and positions him/herself within a third wooden enclosure with an

opening at the top of the front side that forces the operator into a

kneeling position, and takes a rifle shot at the same hundred yard target.

You guessed it...the rifle is switched to "safe".

(8) sprints behind a small wall or barricade and takes a rifle shot from the left

edge and the right edge of the barricade at the same hundred

yard target. The rifle is then unloaded and either slung or put to the

side.

(9) sprints to a 180 pound weight (representing a downed teammate) and

pulls the weight appromimately 10 feet to cover.

(10) runs a distance of 200 yards to a gulley or draw and unholsters a

sidearm.

(11) walks at a steady pace until targets on each side of the trail are visible,

stops and shoots from a distance of no less than seven yards.

(12) shoots multiple targets set up at the end of the trail and switches the

sidearm to "safe" if the sidearm has a "safe", and reholsters.

I'll apologize in advance about the length of this reply, but this is one of

the most effective stress shooting exercises that I've found.
          Last edited by FederalSecurity; 04-04-2007, 11:09 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
          - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
          — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Federal Security you have just described security alert team training.
            Other forum members, since ours in a somewhat dangerous profession, it would do well to include family members in some of these "what if" exercises such as an attempted abjuction, followed in the same vehicle when doing normal errands or after school or home envasion when the principal is not in residence. To strike at our loved ones is to vicariously strike at us.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
              That might bite you in the rear someday
              That's what I'm trying to AVOID

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X