Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SecurityJamesUSA
    • Dec 2005

Security Officers Association

I have been thinking about starting an Association for Security Officers for some time now. The main reason that I think we need our Association is because there is not a group out there that represents us THE ?Security Officer?, I have found a couple but as I stated before they are mostly for originations, or unprofessional or they only want to make money from us. In fact, this is the first professional Security officer Forum that I have found.

I have been very lucky in the Security Industry, I love this business I have been in the security business since I was 18, I started out making minimum wage and now I make an excellent salary. I am not saying this to brag, but to let people know that you can do well in this business if you have a place for advice and to network.

I want to give back and help my fellow Security officers in what can be a trying profession to be in. We get very little respect from the public, corporate managers look at us an expense that creates no profit for there company and Public Law Enforcement has varied opinions of us (generally not positive). We need a place where we can band together for the good of the people that work in this industry.

I would like to ask for your help in creating such an origination and I will completely fund the creation of this Association myself.

Here are my ideas:

- The Association will be FREE for all Security Professionals to join, many of us are modestly paid and I will not take advantage of anyone in this business.

-I spoke to a web developer that makes websites that are similar to the website ?friendster.com? I feel that this type of site will best serve us because this type of websites main purpose is to network a group of people with a similar interest together. I have already given him a deposit and the site will be up in a few weeks. This will be a ?bare bones? version of the site, we will work together to make the site into something we can all be proud of (like the colors, text, ect).

-What will be the name of this Association? We need to decide this soon because I need to purchase and register the web domain. An idea I came up with is: American Security Officers Association, What do you think

-The creation of this Association will be an ?Open Project? meaning all Security Officers will have input on the creation of the Association, we will work together to make this into something that represents the ?working man? Security Officer.

What do all of you think?
  • wvd1979
    • Dec 2005

I think its worth a shot

It wouldn't hurt to try. All organizations have to start somewhere.

Comment

• SecurityJamesUSA
      • Dec 2005

Is anyone else interested in helping me out

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
        • Aug 2005

What do you require? I have no problems helping, but one must know what they're doing, first.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• mallpopo
          • Oct 2005

will it be a .com or .net???

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by mallpopo
            will it be a .com or .net???
            Probally be .org, since its an organization?

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Echos13
              • Sep 2005

I have always wondered if and when a security professional?s association could ever be truly established. It?s a start as you say. But I have a few questions. What will it do for the security worker besides a place to talk shop? Will it function like the PBA or related organizations for those in the criminal justice profession? Can it be localized with organized areas for those in their respected states? Give legal support or perhaps work at unionizing (hate using that word but it?s all I can think of) all the professions into a single voice? I hope you understand where I am coming from. I am all for it %100. But I have seen such organizations come and go and most are more like clubs rather than true organizations. I made a website for my company but it?s only an experiment right now. I am not that good with HTML?s, java scripts or networks how ever but it?s just something we are looking into right now. But since we are such a small company as I said it?s just and experiment. It?s not publicly published to the net yet because it?s still on the drawing board so to speak. I helped design the company?s logo, ID cards and other items. But have to admit it?s going to be quite an undertaking if you are shooting for a true organization representing the field. I am an artist by hobby and have a lot of experiences in designing such things like insignia and logos. What ever I can do with in my abilities you have my support.
              My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Echos13
                I have always wondered if and when a security professional?s association could ever be truly established. It?s a start as you say. But I have a few questions. What will it do for the security worker besides a place to talk shop? Will it function like the PBA or related organizations for those in the criminal justice profession? Can it be localized with organized areas for those in their respected states? Give legal support or perhaps work at unionizing (hate using that word but it?s all I can think of) all the professions into a single voice? I hope you understand where I am coming from. I am all for it %100. But I have seen such organizations come and go and most are more like clubs rather than true organizations. I made a website for my company but it?s only an experiment right now. I am not that good with HTML?s, java scripts or networks how ever but it?s just something we are looking into right now. But since we are such a small company as I said it?s just and experiment. It?s not publicly published to the net yet because it?s still on the drawing board so to speak. I helped design the company?s logo, ID cards and other items. But have to admit it?s going to be quite an undertaking if you are shooting for a true organization representing the field. I am an artist by hobby and have a lot of experiences in designing such things like insignia and logos. What ever I can do with in my abilities you have my support.
                Representation, etc, are the reasons that organizations charge dues. For a true "organization" to be effective, it must first start with an incorporation as an organization. Like any other business, it must be seperate from others. You notice that the PBA and FOP are corporations, as are IFPO and ASIS.

I've noticed that there are organizations for the "security professional," which is translated as "upper level management of guard services, technical (alarm) security, and executive positions." These are people who can afford the dues of these organizations.

The way you get people to "link up" with your organization is by showing that members will purchase on behalf of their organization. AARP buys AAA at a discount because there's alot of elderly who both can afford AAA services, and will buy them based on AARP's status with them.

Lawyers are provided for LEOs because those lawyers are paid for, or volunteer pro-bono for the organization's members. In return, they are usually visited by members for other non LE-related matters.

Establishing the organization as a brand, and a desirable brand, is paramount for anything more than a "club."

We'll have to see how this goes.

Comment

• SecurityJamesUSA
                  • Dec 2005

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advise

These are some of the ideas that I have;

-It will be a place where all Security Officers will be able discuss issues directly affecting them

-A place where we can work together to solve the problems that most effect us (and find out what they are)

-Also as an association with a descent sized membership we can work out discounts for its members on everything from equipment to cars.

-One of the main purposes of the Association will be to give us a place where we can work together to help each other out, weather that help would be advice or a better paying job.

-We will also have free publications that will benefit the individual security officer.

-We can cerate free or inexpensive training courses for the members.

-It will be a Security Officer Association for the Security Officer organized by Security Officers.

-The association will be free for all Security Officers to join, we will never charge ?membership dues? our strength will be in our numbers.

-Were not trying to move a mountain, just find the best way to help each other out

-The site is being set up by web developers so it will look professional.

Some of the features of the site will be:

-There will also be a Classifieds section where members can buy and sell there used gear. As we all know many companies require there employees to purchase there own duty gear and ?brand new? gear is expensive and it can be difficult to find used gear and equipment, this would be a great place to do that in one place.

-The classified area will also have a ?Help Wanted? where employers can post there open jobs (no minimum wage jobs will be allowed)

-A listing of what the best paying security jobs are and how to get those jobs, I?ll need everyone?s help on that.

-One of the best features of the software used for the site is we can set up ?Groups? that will act like chapters for there state, city or specialized field. The group will have its own web address for people in there state to go to and its own forum for members to discuss issues unique to there areas. At first we will only set up Groups/Chapters for individual states, after we are more organized we can allow members to set up all different types of groups.

What suggestions dose everyone have, what else could we offer, what do you want, what can we do so this Association will best benefit its members?

Comment

• Echos13
                    • Sep 2005

Those are very good points and qualities you posted. I think you have a good start there. Indeed, we don't want to move moutains. Just try to get over the hill and start from there.
                    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                      • Aug 2005

The only words of warning I can give is that "web developer" does not always equal "professional." If you personally know the developer, this is a good thing. If you are using a template, its harder for someone to screw one of those up. Even while my company is "closed for renovations," ie: We took our primary website down for a face lift, we still do web design work - and we still see and interact with alot of interesting people. People that have a different set of ethics from the basic set most clients have.

Make sure that the template is altered in some was so that it is "yours." Make sure that the meta tags are set to the organization. A large security company's PI website STILL has its meta tags set to the original web template's customer - a lawyer in Virginia. No, I will not name the company, its bad business.

Many good endeavors have been killed by three things: Dependence on Microsoft products (.NET, ASP, Server 2k3) for simple websites, Unethical Web Developers overcharging, Unethical Web Developers doing poor work (Building pages for IE only, locking out everyone else, building an entire site in Flash, basically not following W3C standards).

Comment

• Kathootzie
                        • Feb 2006

Kathootzie

Originally posted by SecurityJamesUSA
                        I have been thinking about starting an Association for Security Officers for some time now. The main reason that I think we need our Association is because there is not a group out there that represents us THE ?Security Officer?, I have found a couple but as I stated before they are mostly for originations, or unprofessional or they only want to make money from us. In fact, this is the first professional Security officer Forum that I have found.

I have been very lucky in the Security Industry, I love this business I have been in the security business since I was 18, I started out making minimum wage and now I make an excellent salary. I am not saying this to brag, but to let people know that you can do well in this business if you have a place for advice and to network.

I want to give back and help my fellow Security officers in what can be a trying profession to be in. We get very little respect from the public, corporate managers look at us an expense that creates no profit for there company and Public Law Enforcement has varied opinions of us (generally not positive). We need a place where we can band together for the good of the people that work in this industry.

I would like to ask for your help in creating such an origination and I will completely fund the creation of this Association myself.

Here are my ideas:

- The Association will be FREE for all Security Professionals to join, many of us are modestly paid and I will not take advantage of anyone in this business.

-I spoke to a web developer that makes websites that are similar to the website ?friendster.com? I feel that this type of site will best serve us because this type of websites main purpose is to network a group of people with a similar interest together. I have already given him a deposit and the site will be up in a few weeks. This will be a ?bare bones? version of the site, we will work together to make the site into something we can all be proud of (like the colors, text, ect).

-What will be the name of this Association? We need to decide this soon because I need to purchase and register the web domain. An idea I came up with is: American Security Officers Association, What do you think

-The creation of this Association will be an ?Open Project? meaning all Security Officers will have input on the creation of the Association, we will work together to make this into something that represents the ?working man? Security Officer.

Hi everyone!
                        I like the idea of an association like this, and would love to be part of it.

Comment

• hemi444
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by SecurityJamesUSA

Here are my ideas:

What ever happened to this idea

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                            • Aug 2005

Good question. I'm looking at one organization that seems to support "change493.org," but they want money per month. They have a yahoo group, and seem to be internet based.

At this rate, I may just get slightly bored and start playing around. With enough interest, hell, I might do something more than play.

Then again, I don't like the idea of charging dues, either. Not everyone makes alot of money, and even if you do - why give money to something that isn't doing anything for you?

Police give money to PBA FOP etc because they do things for them. Politically, Socially, Professionally, and Economically.

Comment

• bigdog
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              Good question. I'm looking at one organization that seems to support "change493.org," but they want money per month. They have a yahoo group, and seem to be internet based.

At this rate, I may just get slightly bored and start playing around. With enough interest, hell, I might do something more than play.

Then again, I don't like the idea of charging dues, either. Not everyone makes alot of money, and even if you do - why give money to something that isn't doing anything for you?

Police give money to PBA FOP etc because they do things for them. Politically, Socially, Professionally, and Economically.
                              ive never heard of ths orginization who claims to support change 493.org do you know the name?
                              "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...